Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | Cushcraft A3WS 12/17 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft A3WS 12/17
Cushcraft A3WS 12/17 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $369.99
Description: 12/17M warc band 3ele. Yagi
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com/

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft A3WS 12/17.

N6WIN Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2011 07:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great antenna for the WARC bands. I installed this over my F12 C31XR. I added the 30m kit. I am impressed with it's ease of assembly, cost, and performance.

G0HVQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2011 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this 2nd/3rd/4th hand off a fellow ham about 2 years ago and just got round to putting it up. It'd been well used and was a bit scruffy but looked intact. Put it together as per the instructions and got perfect flat SWR on 12m and 17m.

Can only get it up fairly low at the moment (25ft) but already it beats my trusty vertical by 2-3 S points on 17m, and am regularly working DX such as JA and W6/7 even when the band seems quiet. Have struggled to break a few pile-ups though. But 12m, wow - condx haven't been that good, but first day it opened this fall (in Sept 2011) I generated a great pile-up and got called by several JAs, HL, VK, BU, T6. Guess the low height is affecting it less at this shorter wavelength. And last night had a great opening to north/central/south america.

Can only think that putting it up a bit higher would make it work even better. Thoroughly satisfied with this antenna.

KG8DP Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Pefrect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
installed in the summer of 2008. bands came up and cannot beat it. if you like 17/12 this is it. no 30m here. Mark KG8DP

flat swr. get the antenna

KG8DP Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2008 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
probably should not have posted another review this quick but after having the ground mounted verticle operating for about 10 days and comparing it to the beam antenna, it is no comparison. THIS BEAM IS THE WAY TO GO. i have since taken the ground mounted Gap down. Certainly nothing against the gap titan. it was a great antenna. I rearranged some antennas on my second tower and chose to do something I have never done before. WARC beam antenna. Great idea here. Now I know why i got out of 2m weak signal. I can actually hear something on 17/12m LOL. Mine is up about 40 feet. if you have vert. at 50-60 on top of the mast, probably would not need to change. for me, this is a keeper. rock solid and wonderfull swr and takes the amp. no problem. mark KG8DP

KG8DP Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2008 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Positive/Favorable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This one looks to be a keeper. Easy to construct and measure. The instructions were actually accurate. SWR is rock solid. I do not have the 30m add on nor will I add it. ALL THE PARTS WERE THERE. Good one on this issue Cushcraft/Laird. I have run a-3s and a4-s. still use an a4s for 7/14/21/28 megs. if you like the WARC bands and never had a 12/17 meter beam like myself, this appears to be a great one. Now, once the bands open and things come back thru my rx like I think they will, this will no doubt be alot of fun. Once I have made the winter and have a few months tx/rx time on it, I will post a follow up. Certainly an easy beam to put together and rock solid everything is as advertised. Mark KG8DP

KC0CF Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2006 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy set up nice antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I upgraded from a rotatable dipole cut for 17 meters, to this A3WS light weight dual band trapped antenna. I bought it used for under $200.00. Assembly took less than 1 hour with no one helping me, easy to assemble. I realized a flat swr as measured my from MFJ 259, installation on a 50 ft. tower took me only 20 minutes. This antenna was by far the easiest antenna I have ever worked with, no measuring, and I see an increase of at least 3 to as much as 5 s units more signal at my s meter. My 1st contact was a Japan station, over s-9 signal, I had never seen a s-9 signal from my dipole from Japan before on 17 meters, so to me this antenna is quite a step up from what I had.
I must say that I am happy with the antenna, but must admit I just don't know how Cushcraft gets so much money for it. ($459.00 Retail?) Not a lot of alluminum there for that much cash.

F6GNZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 9, 2004 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Poor trap design!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Antenna worked fine (with 10 MHz add-on) for 3 years, then swr was "jumping" on 24 MHz. Opened 24 Mhz traps and was surprised by a poor mechanical/electrical design: contacts to aluminium tubings made by screws without nuts (check how Hofi/Fritzel does it!), closelly wound coils with turns touching each other, poor hose clamps...
Would have NEVER bought this antenna if I knew this before. Besides, due to interraction with a 40-meter XM402 and 20-meter monobander on the same 12-feet mast, intend to replace this antenna and 20-meter beam with the 4-el SteppIR beam, and have40 to 10 meter operation with just two antennas.

KC0GOX Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2004 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Performs as advertised  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This beam was not a new purchase by me but fell in the "previously enjoyed" category. However, the previous owner had taken good care of it and also spoke highly of its preformance.
For my part, I found that the antenna assembled easily and quickly. For those who do not like traps and hose clamps,you better look elsewhere. I can state from personal experience that neither of these construction techniques have ever caused me any notable problems.
As for performance, the rating says it all. This beam has flat swr, decent front to back , and outstanding front to side. In short, it performs just as you would expect a 3 element beam to perform. It is stacked about nine feet above my A3S tribander, and works great. It sure is nice having a directional antenna on my favorite WARC bands!
Chris

G4RCG Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2003 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had this antenna for 4 years and it always preforms well and never had a problem I have the 30m extentions in and I used it for years on 30m with great results, It sits about 8ft above my F12 C19XR and there is no problem interaction, The working height is about 75ft Would recomend (& have done many times) this antenna to all

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2002 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna was constructed in less than a couple of hours. It's small, easily handled, fits on a small tower and the performance is excellent. The SWR is very flat on both bands, less than 1.2, with wide bandwidth. A product that delivers all that's advertised and more. Highly recommended