Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner
LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $149
Description: Low cost 0.1 to 125 watt autotuner. 200 memories, zero power consumption when not tuning, latching relays, interfaces for all popular radios and 160 thru 6 meter coverage.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner.

N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2017 09:13 Send this review to a friend
still works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this tuner for about 10 years and use it for portable operations. It still works as it did when new.

WA4THR Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 04:08 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the little Z-100 new many years back and it has worked amazingly, once I learned to dial my rig down to 25w for tuning. Recently it failed to tune and opening the case I found one of the many latching relays had a hole burned through the side. I sent an email to the factory to see if replacements were available, and received an immediate reply (on a weekend!) that parts would be sent to me right away. A few days later they arrived, and with a new relay installed the little tuner is back to performing as new. Outstanding service!

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Does what its supposed to do..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am on my 2nd LDG Z100 auto tuner, got foolish and in a moment of weakness sold the Z100 along with my FT-817ND. I vowed afterwards I would find its replacement. Well fast forward a couple of years..2 weekends ago at a ham fest that is a 45 minute ride from the house, while walking the aisles, and browsing the tables. My eyes fell upon the familiar site of an FT-817ND box. Here, this gentleman was selling his 2 year old Yaesu FT-817ND, and included in the package was an LDG Z100 auto tuner.

Not one to pass up a deal, especially this one in particular..a price was quickly negotiated, one that I was both surprised and wary about. At this low of a price, something has got to be wrong with either one or both. But, my fears were laid to rest,when after a couple of days later when I could devote the necessary time to check out both pieces. The FT-817 (see separate review) worked flawlessly, the Z100 after I swapped the power cord from my LDG AT-600Pro, worked equally as well.

Once satisfied that all was right, tight, and squared away with both, I turned my attentions toward obtaining another, or rather an additional power cord for the Z100. I may here in the near future look into maybe doing the mod to be able to run the Z100 from 6 AA batteries, but for now..any operating, will be done either from the home QTH or in a near by park..where there are numerous AC outlets, so even when I do venture forth an put the rig and tuner to use with my Buddipole system will have the AC power necessary. These tuner are probably one of the most underestimated tuners ever made. They do what they are supposed to do, when they are supposed to do it. There's no multicolored lights, no meters, just the tuner, with 2 LED's to let you know that its working, and then its tuned. Its not rocket science..lets not make this any harder by adding stuff to it, if I wanted lights and meters, I would've bought something else. All I wanted was another Z1100..it works.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2011 15:11 Send this review to a friend
not bad for a little tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently purchased ft-857d for the mobile and i had a z100 auto tuner that i had from a trade last year i installed the radio and z100 tuner in the car and grounded the radio and tuner my next delma was to purchase a antenna for hf and i really wanted to run 10 meters in the car i had a Wilson 5000 from earlier days so i figured let give a try and see what happens, well to my surprise I tune 10-17 meters and made contacts on all those band, the little z100 worked flawlessly.
Nice little tuner you can pick up a used one cheap these days and save some $$.

WA9LEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2010 11:50 Send this review to a friend
very nice equipment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a used z-100 last month, and i am impressed with how well it works. i have a 10-40 dipole in my attic for a ear and use a kenwood 440at rig. i was having trouble tuning the 440 on 10,15, and 20 meters, i tried 2 other unnamed tuners, which were so so. I picked up the z-100 and it is and shall be my tuner of record. It tunes in 3 seconds or less and retains the memory . i enjoy this tuner. thanks ldg.

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 04:10 Send this review to a friend
Great little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had LDG tuners for years since I built the first one out of a QST article. I have had two problems with them and Dwayne assisted in both. This weekend, I took one of my Z-100's and attached it to my new 817ND. One did not tune at 0.4 watts but a swap of PROMS indicated one PROM was not working correctly.
An email to Dwayne on Saturday and a few email conversations led him to send me a new PROM. I cannot say enough about LDG and their support. Oh the tuners, great. I have used them for G5RVs, Loops (with my 4:1 balun) and a few other dipoles with open line. They are great tuners and the support is fantastic. Even on the weekend!! -73 Frank KG9H

N1FDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2010 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Endless possibilities  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this tuner for a few years now, in the mobile, in the shack and on vacation. It's now remotely located in my attic on a slinky dipole with a 1-1 balun as backup antenna and work great, even tunes 160m. The slinkies are about 60+ ft per side. This little unit has exceeded my expectations many times.

G7IGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2009 04:22 Send this review to a friend
Great value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several Z-100 'auto-tuners' in the past and currently use one with my Yaesu FT-450 for portable operation. Sometimes a BALUN or UNUN transformer is required to help feed point impedance matching, but the Z-100 never fails to tune anything within its wide range. It can be powered directly from your IC-706 or FT-857 and can also work from a 9V PP3 type battery, making it ideal for backpack HF or field day /P outings.

Older versions are limited to 50W on the 6m band, but there is a 'Plus' version now available which handles 100W on 50MHz. It will run on any voltage source from 7 to 18V and 6 AA batteries provide a year of normal use, with current drain while tuning less than 100ma. The new price has gone up to 140 in the UK but second hand units can be bought for around 70, which is a fair price considering the cost of some other units.

AC5S Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up a used Z-100 to use w/ my Icom 7200. Have used the tuner with numerous antennas including random wire, dipole, etc. Never failed to tune anything I thru at it. Excellent tuning range. Very tough unit. I power the unit off of the Icom and the nice thing it is very easy to use....just push the tune button on the Z-100 and a few seconds later, little or no SWR. Very nice for portable use. Also own a AT-1000 which also works very well. I know there is a "plus" now available, but I can't see how it would work any better. I picked this one up for $90. What a deal!!!

WB2ERJ Rating: 2/5 Jun 19, 2009 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Not that great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was disappointed with this tuner. I've used it to tune longwire and twinlead fed antennas and it just doesn't have the range to get a close match much of the time. I had to fiddle with the feedline length to get it to match my twinlead fed dipole. Even then, I often have to fool it by getting it to tune 50-100 khz off the desired frequency in order to get a good match. My old el-cheapo mfj manual tuner knocks the socks off of this thing. Spend a little more money for a better tuner.