Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner Help

Reviews Summary for LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner
LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner Reviews: 120 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $149
Description: Low cost 0.1 to 125 watt autotuner. 200 memories, zero power consumption when not tuning, latching relays, interfaces for all popular radios and 160 thru 6 meter coverage.
More info: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/

You can write your own review of the LDG Z-100 Low Cost Autotuner.

N8DNX Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2009 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Works good, but minor issue for noisy environments.  Time owned: more than 12 months
We've been using the Z-100's along with some IC-718's at a few of the EOC's for disaster communications. We've been trying to cure problems with noise we get from all of their computers and network systems. We moved the antenna at one location away from the building but still get obvious trash from their systems.

While I was testing one of the radios and tuners on my bench, I noticed that the RX noise level increased when I plugged the power and control connectors into the Z-100. I popped open the tuner and noticed that the control and RF grounds are isolated for RF and that noise coming in on the control and power grounds was being induced into the RF side. I simply strapped the two grounds together and the problem went away completely.

Curious it's designed this way because the RF shield from the tuner is directly connected to the radio shield anyway. Go figure. Since putting in the jumper, the noise level is noticeably lower on the rig even here at my house. Looking forward to putting it back at the EOC.

Of course it is a plastic case, so may have to do something else anyway.

Chuck

W8VVG Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2009 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Tuned input for older amps  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got my first solid state rig TS 930s, been running TS 830s's for many years. The TS 930s has the built in antenna tuner, but it does not operated on 160. I thought I'd try the Z-100 to use as a tuned input into my Dentron Clipperton L on 160. Works like a charm, just push the button and it tuned in the amp to 1.2 : 1 in about 3 seconds. Much less cost than trying to find or build a tuned input for the older amps. Now the rig and the amp are very happy with each other

W0NQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2009 08:11 Send this review to a friend
best bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I see some pinging that it doesn't have swr meter or noise, etc but for a low cost auto-tuner that does what you bought it for and does it well,,,,,,,,,,I guess you shouldn't expect Champaign when you're on a Beer budget, and I don't. I love mine, would buy again and running bare foot w/100w, it's just the ticket

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2009 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Great compact tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use mine for poratble work with my 706, the tuners size and minimal draw from the battery is great. A bit noisey when tuning but who's listening anyway. Always run it through an SWR meter as sometimes it needs a second tune cycle to get a better reading, apart from that it great for the cash.

K5LOT Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2009 11:48 Send this review to a friend
POOR ENGINEERING  Time owned: months
JUST PUTTING THE AA BATTERIES IN IT IS A MAJOR HASSEL THE FRONT PLATE IS VERY HARD TO RESEAT IN THE COVER NOT TO MENTION THE BAUD RATE OF 38400 WHEN ALL THE OTHER ACC. USE 9600 BAUD THE CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT ARE RUDE AND DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANYTHING ABOUT IMPROVEMENT

AE5RC Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2008 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Basic Auto Tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a pretty good basic auto tuner. I do not like the fact it has no swr meter and I do not like the green swr indicator light. I wish there was a light for less than 1.5:1 and a different color one for a high swr or a mismatch. However, it does what it says it will do in the directions. It is extremely easy to operate and takes little space in the radio shack set up. A 5 if swr meter and multi-colored lights were included. A strong 4 since they are not. It is a pretty nice addition to the shack.

N4FDG Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2008 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great little tuner. I use mine in my mobile with a 9v battery for power(just so I don't clutter up the cigar lighter with a cable). Tunes all bands as advertised using Diamond HV-7A vertical with the 40m stinger.
Works great in the shack too.

VE7IG Rating: 4/5 Nov 30, 2008 04:58 Send this review to a friend
Works well in my applications.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this tuner for portable use with a Butternut HF6 vertical. It has performed very well although you do need an SWR meter because not all its positions when it stops tuning are the lowest SWR possible, in fact some are quite high. But in my applications, it always has reached a satisfactory match after a couple of tries. The HF6 is usable on 17m with this tuner and works very well. I used it daily and for long periods on a recent IOTA islands portable operation that netted 6000 contacts and was very happy with its performance.

Recently I have been using it between an older transceiver and an Ameritron AL-80B on 30m. The 20/30 metre bands are on the same switch position on that amplifier and the input tuning is optimized for 20m with a mismatch on 30. This has been working well.

I gave it a 4/5 rating because of the need for an SWR meter, otherwise its fine.

N4MJG Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2008 19:55 Send this review to a friend
Still no problem !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it every time when weather are nice ! never have any problem of any kind, my is a keeper still using at camp site.

Jackie
Tullahoma Tenn
WWW.KG4ORX.COM

N7BUI Rating: 2/5 Nov 28, 2008 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Gobble Gobble! Avoid this turkey get a Z-11Pro for $30 more  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned several LDG tuners. An early AT-11, Z-11, AT897, AT100, and the Z-11Pro. I've ran across two models to avoid. The AT100 and now the Z100. There just isn't any range in the Z100. It might be alright if you have just minor SWR to match the radio to, but after owning the Z11PRO (which is the BEST LDG tuner I've owned!) I'd avoid this turkey at all costs. It just isn't worth the hassle. Spend the extra $30 for the Z-11Pro. Same watt rating, FAR greater range, and you don't need to push the button to have it operate. Just key the radio and it takes off. I use mine on a 265 foot Windom from the bottom of 160 to 6 meters with no tuning issues at all. The Z100 on the same antenna barely worked on 160, about 1/2 of 80, and most other bands was temperamental as to whether it would supply a match or not. Sorry LDG, I like most of your products but this isn't one of them.