Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | HyGain TH11DX Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain TH11DX
HyGain TH11DX Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1079.95
Description: 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 m, 11-element beam

You can write your own review of the HyGain TH11DX.

WA6RKK Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2011 10:12 Send this review to a friend
outstanding beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned many beams over the years, all have been 3 or 4 elements. I decided that that after 40 yrs of haming that I was finally going to buy that one BIG beam that we all always yearn for. After spending days disecting design and cost along with parts replacement service, i decided on the TH11dx. It took me 2 days to assemble, instructions could always be better (more pic) as a picture is understood in all languages. The beam is on a rohn 25 at 55ft. I also install a current balum at the top of the tower. To compare it to my full size dipoles is like a corvette to a volkswagon.Looking forward 2 seeing how it handles Idaho winters. Look 4 me on 20 calling CQ and 73's
KB0EO Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2010 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my TH11DX from another ham, so my assembly was minimal.

This is a massive antenna - it is big and heavy. I mounted it at the bottom of my antenna stack (probably because it was too heavy to put up any higher).

With the TH11DX up at 80 feet, I started working through each band - 10 meters is dead here (Minnesota) right now, so wasn't able to check that for signal reports. I spent the majority of my time on 20 meters, 17 meters, and 15 meters, and a couple of contacts on a small opening on 12 meters. I am comparing all results to a 40 meter full wave loop antenna. All I can say is WOW!!!!! This thing exceeds all of my expectations. I worked all 7 continents, picked up 5 new DX entities (rare for this neck of the woods), and created numerous pileups of my own on each band. On working the new DX entities, it was only one or two calls to break through the pileups - that's with 100 watts. I had a couple of long rag chews, including New Zealand, Germany, Spain, Italy, Russia, Japan - it was univerally said - my signal was the loudest on the bands. I compared to my loop antenna, which consistently gave me 2-3 S units better than a dipole on transmit and receive - the TH11DX was consistently 4-8 S units better than the loop, compared side by side. I was hearing stuff I never heard before.

Outstanding so far!

73s and good DX
N9LB Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2010 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Best 5-Band Antenna Ever Made  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Based on the experiences of several other local users of the HyGain TH-11DX antenna, I purchased one in December 2009. Unfortunately, I was not able to put it up until after the cold and icy Wisconsin winter was over.

Once the boxes were opened, it took almost a week to assemble - there is a lot to this antenna!

Here is some info that will be of value to anyone purchasing a new TH11 or refurbishing a used one.

The antenna aluminum, bolts, brackets, and BN-4000 balun are very high quality. I did find a few small issues:

1. The supplied hose-clamps used for attachment of the end element tips are way too big to grip the small element tips. I had to purchase smaller hose clamps to hold the slender element tips to the next larger sections.

2. The pair of phasing harness pipes come in two sections each side with a 2 inch splice-pipe as a connector. No matter how tight I turned the bolts, the joint remained loose, so I pinned the splice with stainless steel screws.

3. I used the recommended No-Ox electrical grease on all mating portions of the aluminum element tubing.

4. I pinned each piece of element tubing to the next with small stainless steel screws. NOTE - do not do this to the traps! The traps have an internal capacitor in the element. Use two hose clamps on the trap sections instead.

5. One of the soldered lugs attached to the wire jumpers fell off during assembly. I found that it had been improperly assembled, so I re-soldered it and it was fine. I then did a tug test on all the other solder lug jumper wires - all others were fine. Just something you should check before sending the antenna up to the top of the tower.

Testing revealed that the SWR was better than advertised in the manual. I found better than 1.5 to 1 SWR match using the factory supplied dimensions on all five bands with two very minor exceptions:

- 50 KHz on the far end of 20 meters was between 1.5 and 1.62 to one SWR. Still better than specified.

- Frequencies between 29 and 29.7 ranged from 1.5 to 1.64 to 1 SWR. Again, still better than specified.

Of course your results may vary a little based on antenna height, surrounding objects, and transmission line length.

The antenna received a real workout in the IARU contest in July 2010 and I feel that it performed extremely well.

In spite of the above fastener issues, I give this antenna a 5 out of 5 because the fastener issues are easily overcome by almost anyone with basic mechanical ability and a few dollars worth of hardware. The design, ruggedness, and performance are terrific!

The manual is available on the Hy-Gain website.
Note: the manual packed with the antenna is much sharper and clearer than is the on-line copy.

In the past, I've had dipoles, a Mosley Classic 33, various monobanders and quad antennas. This is my favorite of the bunch based on performance, ruggedness and five bands of operation.

Lloyd N9LB
IZ1OSP Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2010 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I buy this antenna by second hand to ham friends of my province. I put it at 17 mt. high. on my tower and work well in all the 5 bands. In 17 mt. with 100 watt I make a qso with many dx expedition. The alluminium is very good and all the parts are reperible at MFJ enterprise. In 20 work as a monoband! GREAT JOB HY GAIN!

W0IH Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2009 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful, I love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up at my current location for over 8 years, and I bought it used. In a pile up, I won't claim that they always come back to me first, but it doesn't take long, and that's usually barefoot.

I bought the antenna from a gentleman that was moving into a home (an elderly ham), along with a HDBX tower and Tailtwister rotor. When I took the beam down, there was an end of one of the elements that was off, and he gave it to me. I later found out why.
HINT: when assembling, twist on EACH element joint by hand and make sure it's TIGHT. I spend several days assembling the antenna and found that several of the joints would twist, that's why the one had fallen off in the original installation.

I also use the beam on 40 meters. I insulated the truss wires and feed the WHOLE beam using an omega match using a separate coaxial line. Makes it a 6 band antenna. Works better than the 40 meter dipole that I had.

I'm in the Mississippi river valley and don't get a lot of winds, so I can't attest to the strength at wind speed, but the antenna did come out of eastern So. Dak. where it was windy.

A definate thumbs up on the antenna.
TI2TL Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2008 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Very good antenna good performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well let me start by saying that you don't have to be scared of the size of this antenna. I have it placed over a Discoverer 7-3 and it doesn't look so big. The antenna performs very nicely, I made some comparisons with a near by ham operator using the M2 6 elemets multiband and it has the same performance than mine, with the advantage that mine has 2 more bands that I can work with the same good performance.

The TH11 is built like a tank. I am never afraid to have some damage due to the strong winds. I can say that the antenna will handle winds of 100Kp/h with no issues, since I did experience those winds.

I would say that if you find a good deal on this antenna don't hesitate in buying it since you will enjoy it.
KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2008 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TH-11 Is what others express here,Exceptional. Having the TH-7 for 13 years I liked it very much. I can see differances in that the Th-7 needed to be at 70 feet,where the Th-11's higher log cell effiency ect let it work VERY WELL at lower heights with NO problems.Hygains own MIL speck Gain (no Gnd Gain)show it to be more than the 204BA monobander on 20 meters.This Antenna is BIG and YOU will NEED a BIG Rrotor !!!! MY experance showed that the tailtwisters lasted just over 2 years by a few months,the BIG Yaesu 2800 lasted just under 2 years both times,but the Orian 2800 lasted over 7.5 years and was easy to cal when needed. The performance on DX is OUTSTANDING, and better than the TH-7 by far. 73 GL & DX
K5HSV Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2006 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Big Foot Print and Big Signal - Great Beam  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchase this beam second hand as it came with a tower I purchsed from a fellow ham. My TH-11DX is over 12 years old. I replaced the end caps and purchased new bolts to replace the ones that had been lost from the movement and storage of the antenna.

The beam is very heavy and if you don't have a beefy rotor like a Yaesu G-2800DXA, Orion-M2 or Hy-Gain TT2 you better not even think of using this beam... it's big and heavy. I thank God I have a crank up tower that lays over. If you don't get some experienced guys over for an old fashion antenna raising party.

The TH-11DX is well constructed. Everything on this baby is top of the line. I've had great signal reports and it's ability to block out the side noise has been a real plus. After 12 years this beam works as well as it did the day it came from the factory. I've tuned the elements for phone. 20 meters I've tuned for DX. That's the beauty for this antenna, you can set it up for phone, CW or DX. I'm very satisfied with the performance of this beam and I'm sure you will be. If I had it to do over again, however, I think I would go with a SteppIR considering the cost of this beam but keep in mind this thing is a real beam and produces what it says it will do.
IZ5ASZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2005 11:42 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some words about this antenna.
When I opened the parcels I thought that I had to aseembly an airplane with all those nuts and bolts.
Mechanically it is a tank, all the Hy-Gain owners know well what I mean.
Electrically the antenna works very well. The swr corrisond to the Hy-gain specs on all 5 bands. The gain forward it is good to work most of dx without amplifier, the front to back and the side I would say
are very good for a five bands antenna.
Comparing an antenna to another one it is not easy. My opinion is that this antenna it is still one of the best multibands antenna , even though nowdays ther are many competitors on the market.
It is for sure that I would bay it again.
The feeding line is an 1/2" CELLFLEX® Low-Loss Foam-Dielectric Coaxial Cable LCF12-50J-P1
With a short RG-213/U jumper at the antenna.

(Make a gift to Your antenna, use a good coax cable)
AI2A Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2005 03:27 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Beat this one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
About 3 years ago, a neighboring ham asked for help putting up his new yagi. I read and ignore most of the advertising claims of all antenas. I started by forcing my neighbor to read the manual and mark all the parts with a laundry marker pen to make sure each piece of tubing was clearly identified. I made sure we took our time. Indeed we took about 3 days assembling this antenna.

We did make one call the old Hygain support folks about the length of the wire straps which cris-crossed element halves to the matching network. It appear we were just paranoid - and needed that reassuring encouragement of the factory tech support folks. They were good! (Now its MFJ that operates and manufactures the Hygain line - They are good folks too!)

The neighbor was anxious to apply power and run some SWR tests - to see if it was in the "ball park" on all the bands. He mounted the antenna on a temporary mast at just 4' off the ground. Since we were losing daylight on this 3rd day, the neighbor ran a length of surplus coax to the antenna and hollered CQ on 20. He was amazed - but replies started. 20db over 9 from Indianapolis to Dallas TX. Then Hawaii - same report. No bad for an antenna just over 1 meter above ground.

That weekend, my neighbor cranked his Hinged Rohn 45 over to the ground and we finished the installation atop about 70' of Rohn 45. My neighbor was fortunate enough to have 1/2" hardline - WOW. A flexible jumper and double female connect the top of the hardline to the TH11DX. Once in the air, the reports only got better. Very satisfying to see the neighbor's eyes light up with each passing day of operation.

2 yers later, a high SWR was tracked down to a bit of corrosion in the feedline connectors at the splice of the hardline and the flexible loop of coax near the TH11DX - so don't blame the TH11DX for a problem there!

I have talked alot about my neighbor's TH11DX. I suppose all the experience with his TH11DX offered undeniable insights into the quality and durability of the TH11DX.

Oh, I almost forgot - my TH11DX was a near duplicate of the experience of my neighbor. We live about 1 mile apart. Out here in the rural Indiana farmland, thats a neighbor. Mine is at 89' with a couple of VHF/UHF yagi's sharing the same mast. About the only difference is that I run just 100 watts - while he runs Henry dual 3-500Z linear. Surprisingly I get better signal reports with my barefoot rig most of the time.

I wish I could give this antenna a "10" rating - it deserves it. Quality construction - all parts were present and accounted for (no shortages) - manual is good to excellent. My guy wires are about 10' below the yagi - with a few insulators to break up the guy line till I get a fair distance away from the yagi's path. I use ordinary RG213 class coax - nothing like the hardline on my neighbor's installation. I have no junctions in my coax once it departs the provided balun SO239 connector until it reaches ground level. This antenna is quiet and if either long or short path is open, I can usually work it with ease.

I suppose that even if you are as cynical as I am, you should like this antenna. For those who watch SWR closely, mine works with worst case SWR of 1.8:1 at a band edge. Wideband is defined as the TH11DX. Its no giant dummy load either!

Wish list - I wish this antenna worked on 30M and 40M (I hesitate to suggest 75/80 - for I would be really pushing my luck!). I guess I will have to load up the tower for now until I can afford a serious yagi for 40M.

Thanks to the designers and Hygain and their successors (MFJ) who still offer a fine antenna in the form of the TH11DX.

David, Ai2A