Reviews Categories | Ham Repeaters | Vertex Standard VXR-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Vertex Standard VXR-7000
Vertex Standard VXR-7000 Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1300
Description: With a long list of built in features, the VXR-7000 Series Base / Repeater Station sets the standard for mid-power, continuous duty base station and repeater applications.

Designed with long term reliability in mind. The VXR-7000 Series VHF/UHF Desktop Repeaters offers unmatched features and performance for all segments of industry and Public Safety. Whether used as a base station, with it's attractive housing and user friendly controls, or as a remote repeater, in the most demanding environments, the VXR-7000 series will provide years of reliable service.

Manufactured utilizing the most advanced state-of-the-art computer aided design and manufacturing processes. The VXR-7000 series sets the standard for rugged environment applications now, and into the next century

You can write your own review of the Vertex Standard VXR-7000.

LU1MEK Rating: 1/5 May 23, 2014 06:26 Send this review to a friend
VERTEX VXR-7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

LU1MEK Rating: 2/5 May 22, 2014 19:02 Send this review to a friend
VERTEX VXR 7000  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I want to share the problems I had with the vertex vxr-7000 repeater, operating in 147 210 + 600 khz, I had the following problems, in terms of lower signal reception at 5 does not transmit ptt bone, as this is determined threshold ptt if you do not enter a higher signal s5 do not take to the air. And other disadvantage I had was that the queue is very long transmison in regulation time and has, actually anoint repeater with many disadvantages. .

K4PDQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2011 11:28 Send this review to a friend
A very good repeater  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed a VHF version of the Vertex repeater that replaced a combination receiver/transmitter. Before installing I checked the receive sensitivity and it was slightly better than specs. I agree with other posters, this unit works best with an external controller and PL board. I have a Cat 1000 and a Com Spec PL board connected to mine and it works just great. I use the Com Spec PL board to handle the encode and decode and it works like a champ. The repeater is working much better than the previous setup and I look forward to an extended period of hopefully trouble free service.

N4ZKF Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2009 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice Box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hooked to a CAT controller and works well. 50 Watts out and goes all day. Basically worthless without an external controller but a great built box with one. Awesome audio. I replaced a Hamtronics with this and the CAT controller and what a difference. But then between the 7000 and controller, it's more money too.

KE4GPR Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2009 08:54 Send this review to a friend
This is a nice Machine for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have been using a VXR700 UHF as our Auxillary Fireground and backup repeater for about 3 years now. We have not had a hint of problems with it. We were fortunate enough to have this repeater donated to us by a kind citizen in our town along with the Hardline, and Antenna array.
American Family Radio, KTXG 90.5FM was kind enough to donate a space on their tower and we have our array up at about 110 feet.
When programming it, I decided to keep our output at a moderate setting so as not to overload the repeater since it is not a continuous duty repeater. Programming was not too bad, but since I also program Motorola Maxtrax and Maxon HTs, I am familiar with programming software for DOS. The Vertex staff was very helpful and provided us the software and other helpful tips. Having the duplexer built in is a nice feature. I am currently considering another 7000 for VHF as a Ham repeater.

VE5OA Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2009 11:39 Send this review to a friend
great when fixed  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2007 our repeater site was apparently struck by lightning, resulting in damage to our VXR-7000 repeater unit. It was returned to Yaesu for repair.
Upon the repeater’s return we became aware that the unit was not as sensitive as it had once been. Initially we put this down to band conditions and bided our time. When things did not improve, we began testing our whole repeater installation. We had our duplexer professionally checked out by a fellow ham with access to professional test equipment. The duplexer is totally up to spec.
We had the repeater checked by similar test equipment and it was found to be in order.
Yet we found the following to be the case:
• reception from our fringe areas of the repeater coverage was poor at best, with stations that once easily held the repeater no long able to do so.
• a low-volume hum appeared on the background of the repeater output. The hum was not present on the input signals to the repeater.
• there was a click generated at the end of each relayed transmission. This was not previously present.
As the equipment seemed to test out we reasoned that the problem must be in our cable interface.
Accordingly we replaced our repeater/duplexer cables with new RG214 cables with N connectors. These were fabricated by The Wireman in South Carolina. These new cables replaced our original RG8 cables which have PL 259 connectors on one end. We used N adapters to connect to the VRX 7000.
We again contacted the Yaesu Service Department and were advised that
“In December 2007 we identified a problem in the TX Unit that caused oscillations and feedback when certain duplexers were connected to the repeater. This would cause a 'desense' like problem in the repeater. This occurred within certain serial numbers or when an older unit had the PA Unit replaced with the new PA Unit (as yours was).”
“I have attached the technical bulletin describing the fix. We would of course be happy to install this for you here but considering the shipping costs, you may want to apply the fix locally. It is a single component change (adding a capacitor). Please take a look at the Technical Bulletin and let me know what you decide.”
After reading the bulletin we had Yaesu send us the capacitor required. We installed it and our repeater is now working flawlessly. The fringe area coverage is, if anything, superior to its previous good state.
Should this seem to be your situation, we suggest you contact Yaesu and request Service Bulletin TB0711-1A. If this does not work out for you, please email either Jerry (VE5DC) at jkdixon@imagewireless.ca
or Slater (VE5OA) at s.tubman@sasktel.net

KB4TPP Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2007 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Decent machine for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Our club W4LMA, has owned one since it arrived from the factory in 2002. It has been an excellent machine. Not sure about the previous reviewer but ours is the VXR-7000Va (136-150) split, and it is rated 50 watts continuous duty. No problems with our machine with PA failures due to use, and it stayed keyed up for days at full power and never gets warm to the touch.

Ours has survived TWO lightning strikes with minimal damage. We are talking about one strike that destroyed a Stationmaster. The casualty was a receiver board, and Vertex was quick to send one out even during Christmas of that year. The following summer another direct hit took out the PA, again, a simple replacement was ordered and the box was up and running. Repair parts were cheap...try getting a new RX module for your MTR2000 for $103.50, or a new PA module for $122.

As far as the programming software, no problem if you boot to a DOS disk. We have programmed ours on a 2.4GHz Dell booting from a DOS diskette no trouble. Software can be bought from Vertex dealers for a minimal cost and unlike Motorola, no licensing agreement is required.

The VXR7000 has alot going for it that the competition lacks such as:

-built in power supply with DC backup
-built in tone panel with DCS and CTCSS support
-built in CW ider, courtesy beep.
-room for built in duplexers (not useful for ham)
-easy to interface with controllers (ours was a cinch to connect to our PAC-RES RI-300)
-contrary to the prior statement, the unit is 100 percent duty cycle at rated power, so says V-S and our use has proven this

All in all, it is an excellent machine for the money. Ours is still humming along despite the abuse of lightning now close to five years later.

KC5DBH Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2007 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Vertex could do better  Time owned: more than 12 months
1. This is not a continuous duty repeater at 25 watts, much less 50 watts.
2. It's been to the factory twice in 9 months to have the transmitter rebuilt after complete burnouts.
3. Factory service has been excellent!
4. We live in a Windows 2000, XP, Vista or, Linux OS world; DOS is way outdated, no longer supported, completely unavailable and, so are the computers that supported it.
5. Despite this, Vertex Standard designed a very poor excuse for programming software that runs on ultra slow, virtually non-existent DOS computers.
6. A Vertex representative stated to me that Vertex Standard has no Windows based programmer available for the VXR 7000.
7. Vertex Standard is about like Motorola when it comes to designing and selling programming software. There is no valid reason for this.

This is a cute little repeater that could've had lots of potential had it had a better design for:
1. Its transmitter stage (not continuous duty)
2. Its internal controller (poor firmware programming)
3. The programming software (ultra slow DOS design in a Windows/Linux world).

I'll be blessed if I end up with anything more than an over-priced 2 meter base radio.

KD5ZZK Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2006 03:01 Send this review to a friend
Commercial Grade  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We currently use the UHF version, VXR-7000UD, on our GMRS repeater with an external duplexer. Excellent quality and performance. The VHF version is available for 150-174 mHz (C) and 136-150 mHz (A).

K0DPS Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2005 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Built to last  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Vertex Standard VXR-7000V is well worth the money. The best audio I have ever heard from a repeater. Easy programming for just about anything you need. I have had many long QSO's on this repeater and it is a work horse! It makes 50 watts seem like 100 watts. If you want a repeater that you can put on the air and not worry about it, this is the one.