Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | WIMO GPM-1500 Multiband Help

Reviews Summary for WIMO GPM-1500 Multiband
WIMO GPM-1500 Multiband Reviews: 2 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $250.-
Description: Multiband Vertical for 1,8... 30 MHz,i have this antenna installed two weeks now and it working great. Very easy to assemble, it takes 20 minutes. Working for me on 20m and 10m whitout tuner, on all other bands the inbuild autotuner from my Kenwood TS-570DG can match it to a good swr. in my place it is very difficult to use longwire antennas and this is the best way for me to use the lower band. Wimo doing a good job with this antenna.
More info: http://www.wimo.de/verteiler-e.htm?s3134d_e.htm

You can write your own review of the WIMO GPM-1500 Multiband.

LX1LH Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2007 01:08 Send this review to a friend
More than just a compromise  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the antenna for my home station mounted on a 6m Steel (heavy gaspipe) tube without any counterpoises or radials. In a valley and surounded by buildings the conditions to work are not ideal. I use always a Roller Inductor Tuner.
Experiences so far: It works nice with up to 200W from 10m to 30m (quite some dx !!), on 40m it works but thats just it, 80m or 160m is not operational. On 6m it works - not ideal - but it works (on condx up everything goes on six (my DXCC is Spain so far)).
Resume: A nice antenna if you cannot put some wires or do not have the budget for a tower/beam, really nice for SWL & BC, offers fair 6m support and 10m to 40m, a bit noisy but that is the price for the frequency range. Survived three heavy storms so far:
Value for the money !

DL3LED Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2003 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Limited performance but does not attract attention  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna because I'm travelling to northern Sweden and Norway to enjoy the midnight sun once in a year. The landscape in this region happens to have all but one thing: large trees to put wires on [what else are trees good for? :-)], and staying on small camping places or parking lots for a night requires antennas that to not attract too much attention.

When driving or staying for a short time only I used my FT-100D with the ATAS-100 screwdriver antenna (with quite remarkable results on all bands above 30 m, given that this antenna is that short and thus very inconspicuous).
When staying a little bit longer I wanted to have an antenna with more gain than the ATAS-100 and which enables me to work 40 meters and below as well [as I had to find out, quite pointless when the sun is shining day and night...], so last year I purchased the GPM-1500.

The GPM-1500 requires (!) some counterpoise, but any peace of metal mast or coax shield will do, if it is long enough (relative to the wave length, of course). I mounted the antenna on a small aluminium mast that I could extend as much as the wind (and the camping neighbors) allowed without having to use guy wires. The antenna itself is nearly 7 meters long and will not be very "vertical" when there is some wind around, but this doesn't affect its performance, of course [better use some nylon guy wires when mounting the antenna permanently].

When operating on and above 20 mtrs extending the mast a couple of meters is sufficient to get a good match with a tuner. This antenna requires (!) a tuner! I used an MFJ tuner that would have been capable to compensate even for "bad" swr like that of long wires, but tried to avoid this to reduce rfi/tvi (the FT-100D is very sensitive if there is too much rf around, and I don't like to burn my fingers when touching the paddles, hi). Depending on your counterpoise a simple (e. g. trx-builtin) tuner *may* do, but better don't count on it.

When operating lower bands I had to extend the mast a few meters more, and if there is no more mast available it's also possible to connect a piece of wire and put it on the ground (try at least 10 meters; more, if you want to work lower bands).

Having the ATAS-100 still mounted on the car enabled me to compare both antennas (yes, I know there is a chance that both antennas interact if both are close to another). Results (not too surprising): above 20 meters ATAS-100 outperformed the GPM-1500 (mostly because of less noise when using the ATAS - resonance of a motor controlled screwdriver is much sharper that that of a broadband antenna!), on 20 and 30 meters GPM-1500 was a little bit stronger, and on 40 meters the ATAS-100 made my 100 W transceiver a qrp station (however, given its size, still not a bad result). I didn't compare the GPM-1500 on the lower bands (the ATAS doesn't work there).

Mounting and unmounting the GPM-1500 just takes a few minutes, so it is possible to use it for portable operation. But *do* have some spare screws available, they tend to fall down and you don't want to search them in the high grass :-). After some time of use one of the screw hole wore out a little bit.

General impression: you wouldn't consider buying this antenna if you could afford the space for dipoles, long wires, or other more complex verticals. But if you are seeking an antenna that includes some low bands and doesn't attract too much attention this one might be for you.

I sold mine and used an automatic tuner and a random piece of wire wound around a 10 mtr fishing whip this year. A little bit tricky to find a good wire length, but quite good results, and few if any camping visitors recognized this strange setup as being an antenna [no mast needed, and who cares about a fishing whip that leans agains your car if the sea is only a few meters away? :-)].
I wouldn't do this at home, however, because of possible rfi/tvi...

[Sorry, I'm not a native speaker of English, as you might have found out :-)]