Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Delta 580 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Delta 580
Ten-Tec  Delta  580 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $849.00
Description: 160 ~ 10M + WARC BAND SSB-CW.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Delta 580.

WB8ICU Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 12:01 Send this review to a friend
great for it's age  Time owned: more than 12 months
works quite well. I run cw exclusively, and ten tec is the way to go. I do have a problem presently with the on off switch being intermittent, but hey, it's old. I have had one ham complain that he got rid of his because it drifts. Wonder if he has a problem with the power lines at his house, since I have never had anyone complain about mine.

KD5HLB Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2013 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent transmit and receive!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this little transceiver! I have several modern radios but I keep pulling this one back out. It is simple to operate and does not drift. Keep getting great signal reports. I use a vintage P5550M hand mic that was made by Pathcom. I must say the 580 Delta has better receive (on the same antenna) than my newer radios. Ten-Tec has them all beat hands down. One day I'll upgrade to an OMNI VII.

NG9A Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1983, I bought a used 580 Delta with full compliment of CW filters, 283 Remote VFO and 280 Power Supply. After a year of initial use, the unit sat on a shelf for 30 years due to pursuing other interests. Early this year, I started the refurbishment process. Both PTOs had hardened grease and the shafts were frozen. Ten Tec offers PTO rebuild support and now both 580 and 283 PTO tuners work perfectly. The 580 and 283 were then realigned by following the instruction manuals and both now work flawlessly, with no major component replacement. What a pleasure to operate! The 280 power supply had some age issues with some of the discrete components, but replacement was easy and the vintage 20A 13.5V supply is up and running again. All in all, ownership of the Ten Tec gear has been a positive experience and the successful rebuild has reinforced to me the Ten Tec reputation for unparalleled quality.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2011 00:35 Send this review to a friend
It's a Ten Tec  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this screwdriver special on Evil bay. I couldn't make a qso to save my life the first few days. Turned out the tx and rx frequencies were misaligned by a previous owner. Use it now with the rit at 270 degrees. Why do people do that?

Anyway now it works great. A few nights ago I worked some Asiatic Russian stations over the n pole around midnight using an half wave inverted L on 20m. What's neat is I just sit on 14010, turn on the narrow cw filter, and tune plus or minus 5khz
and the signals just pop up one after another from a quiet background.
Working them is like shooting ducks at an arcade.
After several minutes I look up at the digital display and the 100hz red digit is flickering. It's a Ten Tec!

N8JHJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Delta is like my favorite easy chair....no hassle....I have always enjoyed the reports from distant dx. My Delta works great with a diapole or vert. My Delta has been problem free for over 15 years...what more could I expect?

N4DBM Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2010 05:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for Field Day!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with the 580-Delta when I was a Novice class back in 1988. I was 11 years old and the rig was simple enough I could operate it with ease. I enjoyed making contacts all over the place both on CW and 10 meter phone. The operation is easy. My audio reports on phone were always great. Handy SWR meter built in. The main thing I noticed about this rig was how efficient the power amp is, making it nice for portable (back then).. And the receiver...Well, we used this rig for Field Day back in the late 80's and the receiver selectivity OUT PERFORMED all other "modern day" rigs brought out that day. The I.F. filtering is excellent. It worked wonders in jammed-packed bands that year. I would definitely recommend this radio to a friend who wants a simple, dependable HF transceiver.

K5AF Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2008 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Oh My! A Wonder of Simplicity!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using a pair of Omni VIs and now a pair of K-3s, I thought would never find myself looking back at simple technology with such warm reminiscence.

In an effort to downsize my shack, I finally decided to sell my old Ten-Tec Delta 580 transceiver. While I knew the rig functioned well before I stored it away, I felt obligated to fire it up one more time to ensure the new owner would have no issues.

Here is a radio with no computer interface, no digital tuning, no fancy bells and whistles, and, hell, not even an RF Gain control. Yet when I turned it on, I felt like the antenna was connected directly to my ears. Signals popped out of the noise with seemingly nothing between the headphones and the antenna. Even with very rudimentary filtering, signals were easily separated.

I changed bands with a rotary bandswitch, wow! No buttons to locate and push, or crazy up/down commands. Damn, this is fun!

After making a few highly enjoyable contacts, I thought to myself that maybe I should not sell this great radio, and just find another one and do a low-tech SO2R setup for under $500!

Then I thought about band mapping, computer control and all the good things the digital age has brought us and realized that I couldn't go back.

These old Ten-Tec radios are a wonder of simplicity. I can think of no better way to enjoy the hobby than with one of these. Corsair II is my favorite of the lot, and some day after I've had my fill of contesting, I'll tie one of these radios to a ladder-line dipole and enjoy the purest form of human communication that is possible via ham radio.

This review is my parting tribute to this old rig that has been a faithful backup and a source of great pleasure to me. Thanks, my friend!

AB3EN Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2008 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Great radio / excellent receiver / Great TenTec service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked this 580 up used from a friend several years ago and used it daily for a few months until I got an Icom 7000. I sold this unit on Ebay and the fellow who bought it complained that it had internal birdies, so I refunded him the money and took back the 580. After I sold it I realized I should have held on to it, so I was happy to get it back. I sent it off to Ten Tec to see what could be done with the birdie (only on the CW portion of the bands). It turns out that the birdie is from the display oscillator and Ten Tec could reduce it but not eliminate it. They rebuilt the PTO and aligned the the unit as well as replacing most of the caps. I am happy it is back with me.

I found that the 580 is more sensitive than the IC-7000 and use it to work QSO's and the Icom to work contests with the HRD software.

The 580 is a simple but effective rig and Ten Tec service gets an A++++

KD5HLB Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2008 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Fun transceiver to operate.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently traded for a Delta 580 that just came back from Ten-Tec for minor work and tuning. It puts out about 95 watts on all the bands and the audio and signal reports have been really good. The microphone is a hand mic but I'm looking for the 214 desk mic. I think I'll keep this one to play around on.

N6MUK Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2008 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Old School Tranceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When I moved my Ten Tec Scout 555 from my shack to my Jeep, I knew I needed another Ten Tec for the shack. Like many, once I became used to Ten Tecs, no other rigs will do. I came very close to dropping the heavy cash for a new Argonaut V but, based on the reviews here, I bought an older Delta 580 on ebay. I paid $170 + $25 shipping which I consider to be a good value. Here are my thoughts after 9 months with this rig:

1) The noise blanker is superb! I mean to say it is really brilliant!! The Scout has a really good one but the Delta 580 blows it (and all others I have experienced) away. The NB is as good as modern DSP I have used. If you shop for a Delta 580 and it doesn't have the NB option, beware; it might be hard to locate one now-a-days, even from Ten Tec.

2) Frequency readout inaccuracy. I read a lot about it here in these reviews. I have never noticed a problem. I have never doubted a band edge or found that I was off frequency. For what its worth, I can zero beat WWV on 10 mHz and the readout is within a dozen Hertz.

3) The receiver is very quiet and seems very sensitive. I really like the quiet, clear sound of the audio from this rig. Speaker is pretty good too! There is no rf gain control (except a useless rear mounted attenuator switch) but I have not missed it. I think in heavy contest situations, it would be sorely missed.

4) The filtering is very good. There are 4 filters that keep adding on as you advance the switch. The first 2 are for SSB, the second 2 are for cw. One of each is a crystal filter (in my case a 500 Hz if band width filter). The combo of all 4 is very effective indeed. Also, there is a tunable notch filter that really works. The null is sharp, deep and can be accurately and easily placed on the offending station at anytime. The crystal filter is an option so check before you buy!

5) The receiver is NOT GENERAL COVERAGE so if that is important to you, shop on past this radio.

6) The WARC bands were an option and its nice to have them all usable in a rig from the early 1980s.

All in all, a great Ten Tec transceiver that should be available to you at a very reasonable price.