Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Delta 580 Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Delta 580
Ten-Tec  Delta  580 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $849.00
Description: 160 ~ 10M + WARC BAND SSB-CW.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Delta 580.

KD4AT Rating: 4/5 Mar 26, 2007 11:05 Send this review to a friend
Solid and simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio from my dad as my first HF. It lacks a lot of the flash of the high end modern radios, but otherwise holds up well compared to them. It is very simple to operate and the receiver is amazing. I have used the TS 2k, Icom 718, Yaesu 920, 847, and 857, and Ten Tec's Omni 6. All of them have features that the 580 lacks, but its ease of operation and solid receiving make it a radio that I continue to enjoy operating.

The only complaint that I could have with the rig is the tuning is not as precise as some of the more modern gear. The nudge and fiddle required to get the radio to sit still on the exact frequency desired can be a pain.

If you are looking for a starter HF rig or simpler rig for just casual operating, I can definately say that this radio would fit the bill.

K5AF Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2006 12:03 Send this review to a friend
Erring on the Side of Simplicity  Time owned: months
Like its little brother, the Argosy, the Delta was Ten-Tec's attempt to build a full-featured transceiver in a slightly smaller package than its mainstream rigs. The result was a very attractive radio that erred on the side of simplicity.

Simplicity means just a volume control, no RF gain control (there is a selectable attenuater on the back panel!) Also, there is no separate switch for RIT, just a detent position in the center of the range.

This simplicity doesn't mean this radio is a slouch! It is the same conversion scheme that was used on the Corsair series, and ultimately on the Omni V and VI. The receiver is very hot, and the combination of audio filtering and audio notch provides for very enjoyable reception. In fact, I like the receive audio on this radio much better than on the Omni VI.

QSK is typical Ten-Tec-silky smooth. I have always wondered, though, why Ten-Tec would make a radio with crisp, lightning-fast QSK and then use slow "hang" AGC with it. The AGC is time constant is easily changed with a simple mod, I will do that when I get the chance.

Despite owning a pair of Omni VIs, I almost always have an old Ten-Tec analog radio around for general use. I always enjoy the QSOs, maybe it takes me back to a simpler time. Maybe these radios were pretty good after all!

KU2US Rating: 4/5 Jun 16, 2006 05:27 Send this review to a friend
A RARE ONE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Love this Ten-Tec 580..This rig is quite rare..I gave it a 4 because of not being able to work split freq.. Cannot find the matching external VFO. BUT-having said that, I love the filtering on the front panel. A nice notch filter, +/-offset and SSB/CW selectivity control. A rig of this age having WARC Bands? NICE. The BEST feature is the ability to knock this rig down from 100 watts to about 900 milliwatts with a twist of a knob. Great for QRP/QRPp..Not to mention convenient front panel phone and mic jacks and VOX. I find the reciever quite sensitive. Over-all, an easy transciever to use, a no problem tuning rig, and loaded with easy to use features for a rig of this age.

VE3EGA Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2006 07:25 Send this review to a friend
4.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first Ten-Tec radio. Third owner, no surprises here, works as expected for an older radio - purchased as a b/u rig. Used mostly on 20/40 CW and SSB - Uses 'Permiability' tuning on VFO (no ganged capacitor!) no issues with this but I may 'lube' it one of these days as suggeseted in previous review :)

My radio does not have WARC band crystals fitted - but I have no WARC antennas anyway, so no great loss!

Receiver nice to use, no preamp, diode mixer (almost identical to the Atlas 180/210 series) much less fatigue during longer cw sessions! Lots of selectivity on RX - however, probably not a first choice for contesting today!

TX 100W - like all broadband transistor PA's although fairly rugged, always match antenna at about 5W before blasting full power - unless you like to smell really hot PA Transistors!

Overall: The 580 is more suited to base than mobile operation as (it is rumoured!) doesnt like the flunctuation of a car's battery voltage...

what else can I say -it's Ten-Tec and as such will always look good in my shack!!

Terry

KE7BRJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2005 01:53 Send this review to a friend
Good rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great older rig.

KB2NTO Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2004 12:48 Send this review to a friend
classic Ten Tec  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned many Ten Tec Rigs over the years. From PM-3 to Scout. These include afew Tritons and a Omni D. I bought this rig as the second owner even had the sales receipt. The PTO needed a rebuild while not easy not that difficult either. Just cleaned the parts and regreased. Mobil One synthetic universal grease works great for this. Just wish it came in a smaller container although 4.99 for a lifetime supply is not bad. The rig works great even without optional filters. QSK is typical Ten Tec smooth as silk. The rebuilt PTO is also smooth. This is my favorite Ten Tec rig so far. Like the size and the tone and ease of operation. For the used price hard to go wrong with this rig...