Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-993 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-993
MFJ-993 Reviews: 122 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: MFJs exclusive IntelliTuner™, Adaptive Search™ and InstantRecall™ algorithms give you ultra fast automatic tuning with over 2000 non-volatile revolving memories. You get a highly efficient L-network, wide 6-1600 ohm matching at full 300 Watts SSB/150 Watts CW, 1.8-30 MHz coverage, Cross-Needle and digital meters, aural SWR meter, backlit LCD display, remote control port, radio interface, heavy-duty 16 amp/1000 volt relays and more.

It learns while you're having fun
As you’re ragchewing, contesting or DXing, your MFJ-993 is learning! When you transmit, the MFJ-993 automatically tunes for minimum SWR and remembers your frequency and tuner settings. The next time you operate on that frequency and antenna, these tuner settings are instantly restored and you’re ready to operate in milliseconds!

Each of two antennas can learn and remember over a thousand frequencies and tuner settings. They are safely stored in non- volatile revolving memory.

Highly Intelligent ultra fast tuning
MFJs InstantRecall™ first checks its memory to see if you have operated this frequency before. If so, tuning is instantaneous and you re ready to operate. If not, MFJ's IntelliTuner™ algorithm - - based on MFJ's famous SWR Analyzer technology - - kicks in. It measures the complex impedance of your antenna. Next, it calculates the components it needs and instantly snaps them in. Then, it fine tunes to minimize SWR -- you’re ready to operate. It’s all done in a fraction of a second.

When the impedance is within its measurement range, the MFJ-993 is the fastest automatic antenna tuner in the world.

If it can’t accurately determine impedance, MFJ’s AdaptiveSearch™ algorithm goes into action. Frequency is measured and relevant components values are determined. Only those values are searched for ultra-fast tuning.

For even faster searches, you can set the target SWR to 2 (settable 1.0-2.0). You can manually tune when you can’t transmit (for listening out of ham bands).

Cross Needle and Digital SWR/Watt Meters
Lighted Cross-Needle and digital meters lets you accurately read SWR, forward and reflected power at a glance. An aural SWR meter lets you hear the tuned SWR when you can’t see or read the meters. Turn on a highly visible, instant response SWR LCD bargraph when you need it.

Backlit LCD Display
An easy-to-read backlit LCD displays SWR, forward/reflected power, frequency, antenna 1/2, L/C tuner values, on/off indicators and other information.

Remote Control Port
Plug in the MFJ-990RC remote control and put your tuner at your antenna or elsewhere and control it remotely. The MFJ-993 supports radio tuner interfaces such as the ICOM 706 series. Interface cables are available.

The MFJ-993 is a compact 10Wx2¾ Hx9D inches. Use 12 –15 VDC/1 amp or 110 VAC with MFJ-1316.

Tune any Antenna
You can tune any antenna — dipoles, verticals, beams, phased arrays, inverted vees, quads, random wires, mobile antennas, compact limited space antennas – practically any antenna. A 4:1 true current balun lets you tune any balanced antenna - - horizontal loops, vertical loops, multi-band doublets, quads, folded dipoles, Zepps.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-993.

KC2YRJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2017 11:48 Send this review to a friend
Often, but not always, great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 993B tuner works beautifully, most of the time. It matches my dipoles perfectly and very quickly once I use a frequency on which I've already operated. When operating on a new frequency, it takes only 2 - 5 seconds at most with a difficult load. The display and metering options are very useful. However- after about 2 years of modest use the power switch became inoperative (you've read about this in numerous reviews). I sent the unit into MFJ and had the unit back in a few weeks. The repair charges to replace the power switch came to just under $75, including return shipping. OK, this can happen; but after another year, the switch failed again and the thought of going through this every year is discouraging. I intend to simply lock the switch in the "on" position and just connect the A/C adapter plug to the tuner when on the air. You would think that after seeing this same complaint in several reviews that MFJ would use a better quality switch and having chosen not to do so sends a message to us that they really don't care all that much about their reputation. It's truly a shame because absent this malfunction, the tuner does an outstanding job.

KC9OMS Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2017 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Very good atu  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this tuner connected to my ICOM IC-7100 and the radio controls the unit totally. I just push the tuner button and the unit does its thing. I have an Alpha Delta DX-EE in a very tight setting and the SWR is challenging. The tuner matches the antenna to the IC-7100 with the SWR low if not 1:1. I have made many contacts with this tuner over the three years that I have had it. I never touch the controls. It just sets under the radio doing its thing as advertised. Great job MFJ!

N5LB Rating: 3/5 Dec 19, 2016 08:04 Send this review to a friend
N5LB  Time owned: more than 12 months
UPDATED from prior post. I moved the tuner from one side of the op desk to the other and then it stopped tuning, anything. When appling 10W on any band the frequency readout was 0.000, the SWR F and R identical and showing very high. Not antenna related, tried various including DL. Looking at the schematic, T1 the RF sampling transformer seemed to be the only common component. One of the solder joints was "gray", looked cold. I reheated from the top of the boards and viola, all is good.

That said, much is made of MFJ QA and I think this is one of those cases manifested several years after manufacture. I did drop a note to MFJ support prior to resoldering and they responded very quickly with reasonable things to try, though not the one I found.

The tuner has been and is now very good, fast and tunes most anything I have. That said, MFJ QA....arrrggghhhh...

These seem like plated through holes and probably wave soldered. It's not as if someone on the assy line did a poor job and I don't know how you find this sort of issue before it goes out the door except maybe with visual inspection, always a great idea, or a shake table, not such a good idea unless you have mil spec products.

KD9ANE Rating: 1/5 Mar 12, 2016 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't Last!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This tuner work just fine for about 8 months.... then it would tune up 3 different frequencies and then stop auto tuning..... then after the first power up it would tune only one frequency and then you'd have to push and hold the tune button for 2 seconds to get it to tune.... I've ran all the diagnostics, resets and then contacted MFJ with 0 results.... MFJ doesn't seem to care about product support.... What a shame...... I was warned by the older member in my ham club that you get what you pay for.... In the future, I'll only invest in the best products.....

W3WMU Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 11:21 Send this review to a friend
I BOUGHT A 2ND UNIT  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I say. I was very pleased with the first MFJ-993 unit that I bought a 2nd unit to replace my LDG 200 pro. Same money as the LDG unit but this unit does it quicker and more accurately. The LDG unit handles 6 meter but I am never on 6 meter much. I like that the 993 has a built in meter and LCD display.

KJ4YZI Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2015 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Must consider  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far i have had this tuner for over a week, and I LOVE IT! I have heard some hams criticize MFJ products, but i have been a faithful MFJ user for years. This tuner tunes my homemade OCF 80 meter dipole almost instantly. I Have an MFJ-969 deluxe versa tuner that i have used for years, and i couldn't get that roller inductor tuner to match certain bands at a 1:1, but the thing is, this tuner matches it perfectly, using many different algorithyms and inductors, to find the BEST 50ohm 1:1 tune. Bright LED lit cross-needle and built in antenna switch are a big plus. It's truely auto"magic", and it has 20,000 memories, so the more you use it, the more it learns from you. It's called instant recall, so once you have used to tune across the 10 meter band, and you switch to 20m and back to 10m, it knows which values of components to snap in place, almost instant tuning. This is the big brother to the MFJ-939. MFJ stands behind their warranty. So don't take 1 review into consideration on your decision. I have made a video review of this unit on youtube, my channel name is Hamradioconcepts. Here is the link to the video of this unit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zigBDd83g
73 from KJ4YZI

K4DZQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2015 13:09 Send this review to a friend
A tuner worth considering.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Before I purchase a new piece of equipment, I will consult eham and other sites where equipment is evaluated by hams like me. I see a lot of criticism of MFJ equipment and can see where it might originate from. I bought this tuner to replace a MFJ-962D manual tuner that I been using with PSK-31. This new auto tuner is used exclusively with digital, PSK-31, and it makes life much easier. Does what it is supposed to do and makes my life much easier. Besides mechanical short comings, which some pieces can have, this unit has to be operated according to the OEM. I have never regretted purchasing this tuner.

K8RDG Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2015 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the MFJ-993B after using an LDG AT-11MP. I was nervous at first, but this IntelliTuner does what it says. I use a G5RV Jr with 100 watts. The 993B matches 10-80 meters almost instantly. I found that by tuning on several frequencies throughout each band on AM at 15 watts, the 993B stores the match in memory so the next time I'm on the band, all I have to do is key-up momentarily on AM, and almost instantly I'm tuned and ready for SSB QSOs. I too have the low FWD power reading on SSB on the digital display, but the REF power is 0 and the match is 1.0. The analog meter, however, shows 100 watts forward and I'm making contacts with 5/9 reports. On AM and FM, the digital FWD power reading is accurate. I think it has something to do with the nature of SSB. The manual states the frequency display may be off slightly in SSB when un-keyed, and that is normal in SSB mode. READ THE MANUAL CAREFULLY, it really helps. All-in-all, this is a great tuner at 100 watts and less, and meets my needs.

N3VHR Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2014 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Have the 993B  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really like this tuner. I have been using it with a Kenwood TS-480 and an Eagle One vertical antenna. Tunes the Eagle One on all bands from 6 - 80m. The problem I have is the power reading when operating SSB. It shows my power out from 4 to 12 watts while I have my rig set at 100 watts. The forward power and reflected power readings seem to be fine when I tune or just send a CW tone. I did read one other review with this same concern. Is it a common problem with the 993b? Do I have a setting wrong on my tuner? I would give this tuner a 5/5 in a heart beat if it showed my power correctly on SSB.

N7BOO Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2014 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Remote Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, I want to make it clear that I have no affiliation with MFJ or their products. Having said that, I wanted to comment on the MFJ remote auto tuners like the MFJ-993BRT 300 watt model.

I’ve owned various models of the SCG Auto Tuners for 17 – 18 years, I’ve never had one fail and they have all performed admirably. I have also owned MFJ remote auto tuners like the MFJ-993BRT and they have performed admirably without a single failure.

I've had these tuners mounted on towers and rooftops in all extremes of weather conditions. I've lived in Wisconsin and Arizona where they have been subjected to extreme humidity, extreme subzero cold, snow, ice, and extreme heat in excess of 130 degree on rooftops and towers, never once have any of them failed.

I'm sure that there will always be a few that exhibit problems, but so does any other mass produced product.

I've been a ham for 34 years and I've found that most failures are generally associated with cockpit errors like poor connections and failure to follow installation and operational instructions. Some tend to immediately blame the manufacturer and slam the product as "junk", when in fact, they failed to follow proper installation and operational instructions, tampered with the product, exceeding the power limits of the device, and were not knowledgeable / capable with electronics in the first place.

All I can add is, both the MFJ and SCG remote auto tuners have served me well and I have never experienced a single failure with any of them.