Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-993 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-993
MFJ-993 Reviews: 122 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $259.95
Description: MFJs exclusive IntelliTuner™, Adaptive Search™ and InstantRecall™ algorithms give you ultra fast automatic tuning with over 2000 non-volatile revolving memories. You get a highly efficient L-network, wide 6-1600 ohm matching at full 300 Watts SSB/150 Watts CW, 1.8-30 MHz coverage, Cross-Needle and digital meters, aural SWR meter, backlit LCD display, remote control port, radio interface, heavy-duty 16 amp/1000 volt relays and more.

It learns while you're having fun
As you’re ragchewing, contesting or DXing, your MFJ-993 is learning! When you transmit, the MFJ-993 automatically tunes for minimum SWR and remembers your frequency and tuner settings. The next time you operate on that frequency and antenna, these tuner settings are instantly restored and you’re ready to operate in milliseconds!

Each of two antennas can learn and remember over a thousand frequencies and tuner settings. They are safely stored in non- volatile revolving memory.

Highly Intelligent ultra fast tuning
MFJs InstantRecall™ first checks its memory to see if you have operated this frequency before. If so, tuning is instantaneous and you re ready to operate. If not, MFJ's IntelliTuner™ algorithm - - based on MFJ's famous SWR Analyzer technology - - kicks in. It measures the complex impedance of your antenna. Next, it calculates the components it needs and instantly snaps them in. Then, it fine tunes to minimize SWR -- you’re ready to operate. It’s all done in a fraction of a second.

When the impedance is within its measurement range, the MFJ-993 is the fastest automatic antenna tuner in the world.

If it can’t accurately determine impedance, MFJ’s AdaptiveSearch™ algorithm goes into action. Frequency is measured and relevant components values are determined. Only those values are searched for ultra-fast tuning.

For even faster searches, you can set the target SWR to 2 (settable 1.0-2.0). You can manually tune when you can’t transmit (for listening out of ham bands).

Cross Needle and Digital SWR/Watt Meters
Lighted Cross-Needle and digital meters lets you accurately read SWR, forward and reflected power at a glance. An aural SWR meter lets you hear the tuned SWR when you can’t see or read the meters. Turn on a highly visible, instant response SWR LCD bargraph when you need it.

Backlit LCD Display
An easy-to-read backlit LCD displays SWR, forward/reflected power, frequency, antenna 1/2, L/C tuner values, on/off indicators and other information.

Remote Control Port
Plug in the MFJ-990RC remote control and put your tuner at your antenna or elsewhere and control it remotely. The MFJ-993 supports radio tuner interfaces such as the ICOM 706 series. Interface cables are available.

The MFJ-993 is a compact 10Wx2¾ Hx9D inches. Use 12 –15 VDC/1 amp or 110 VAC with MFJ-1316.

Tune any Antenna
You can tune any antenna — dipoles, verticals, beams, phased arrays, inverted vees, quads, random wires, mobile antennas, compact limited space antennas – practically any antenna. A 4:1 true current balun lets you tune any balanced antenna - - horizontal loops, vertical loops, multi-band doublets, quads, folded dipoles, Zepps.

You can write your own review of the MFJ-993.

N6AB Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2013 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Power Switch Failure  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Update: The power on/off switch on my MFJ-993B failed after just 5 months, so I'm lowering my overall rating by one star. MFJ is sending me a replacement switch, but I'm skeptical about whether this one will last. I'm following the suggestion about temporarily placing the end of a plastic tie between the side of the switch and the edge of the front panel opening to hold it in the 'on' position, until the new switch arrives. Replacement looks time consuming, since you have to remove the front panel board and the sub-board behind it to access the switch solder pads. If the new part fails, I'll have to find a more reliable switch, perhaps a toggle type.

On a positive note, the tuner works well as long as the power switch stays on. I also verified that my tuner (mfg 5/2012) does have an LED backlight for the analog meter, so there is at least one issue that MFJ has addressed. Now if they can just fix the power switch ...

KJ6GED Rating: 0/5 Mar 3, 2013 07:06 Send this review to a friend
mf junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another bad product from mfjunk. Brand new right out of box, antenna relay defective not working. My ldg z11pro tuned my Hustler 80,40,20m tribander with no problem, this thing could not even tune at 100w. Meter not accurate at all. Right back HRO. Will never buy mfj again. Just cheap ham radio equipment. Absolutely no quality control, slap together and throw it in a box. Don't buy mfj, send a message to this company to clean up their act.

YV5IAL Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Un Antenna-Tuner Fantastico !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yo utilizo mi MFJ-993 con mi radio Icom IC-7200, el cual no tiene sintonizador automatico.
El MFJ-993 funciona muy bien en todas las bandas.

Si no acciono el boton "TUNE" del IC-7200, el Antenna Tuner, automaticamente se ajusta a la frecuencia de trabajo bien sea en la modalidad SSB, CW, RTTY, SSTV o PSK.

El display digital difiere en algo al indicador de agujas cruzadas; pregunte a MFJ y me respondieron que el dispay digital era de los dos, el mas exacto.

El contador de frecuencia difiere en unos pocos Herz con el display de IC-7200 de acuerdo a la banda seleccionada.

Estoy muy satisfecho con el MFJ-993 y realmente lo recomiendo para aquellos trasreceptores que no tengan antenna tuner incorporado.

K2TV Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 06:40 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the MFJ-993B tuner for almost two years and it works fine. The only problem I had was with the power switch not latching up after a time. I called MFJ and they sent me a replacement switch. The replacement switch operates reverse of the original switch. That is you push it to what would normally be the ON postion and it latches to the off position. If you push it to what would be the off position the unit turns on. This solved the intermittent latching problem and is really not even noticeable operationally. Otherwise this unit is a solid performer. I use this unit every day and it has performed perfectly to specifications.

AA2DK Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2012 12:23 Send this review to a friend
A big improvement in Customer Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought my 2nd 993B tuner (sold the last one with my radio). I had no display on the LCD display. Adjusting the brightness pot didn't help. Sigh. I e-mailed MFJ, and much to my amazement, they offerred to send me a new one upfront, and didn't bother me with shipping charges for either way! Maybe they had a rash of bad ones go out, and they knew about it? The new one works great, and I have to compliment MFJ's customer service dept. Much improved recently..

WB9CUX Rating: 2/5 Nov 17, 2012 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Poor Hardware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered and received from HRO what I thought would be a really good tuner. Upon opening the box my enthusiasm was dashed when I saw that the metal cover was elevated over the top of the chassis at least 1/8", leaving a large gap above the top of the front panel. Also I heard something rattling around inside so I opened the tuner up. To my amazement a 1/2" screw and a standoff fell out. While opening the tuner I found that the top screws lined up with the chassis holes but the side screws were totally off unless you elevated the cover. Inside electronics looked very good with good soldering on the PC board and well organized wiring inbetween. I didn't even power the tuner up and shipped it back. I built electronic hardware for 35 years so I know how it should look. My analysis of MfJ products is that they are generally well designed but have poor quality control during the assembly process. I don't know where these tuners are made but someone needs to fire the people in charge to improve their reputation.

G0AYD Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 10:41 Send this review to a friend
brilliant  Time owned: more than 12 months
had mine now for 5 years and despite a few minor breack downs has served me well and tunes most things ive thrown at it..

G8FSO Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2012 12:58 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've just bought a second hand 993B, and my Kenwood AT230 has made way for it. I wanted a fully auto tuner as I was sick of having to retune everytime I moved frequency. Don't get me wrong, the AT230 is a brilliant tuner, but to catch the dx before the pile up starts, the auto tuner had to be the way to go.

Well so far it's been a breeze, and I'm glad I made the change, albeit reluctantly.

I love the digital display to see what the various things do when the mic is keyed, something the AT230 doesn't have, I love the speed at which it tunes up despite the clicking. I like the way it tells you that you are inputing too much power when tuning, and that you have to turn it down.

All in all an excellent piece of kit, and it was a choice between the LDG 200 pro and this. I'm certain I made the right choice.

Does it hae any shortcomings? Well I haven't found any so far, but if I do, I'll update.

W2OSR Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2012 04:56 Send this review to a friend
So far I love it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got it set up with my FT-950 using the MFJ interface. So far I am very pleased with how quick it tunes and how well it matches my antennas. This seem to be a better set up than the LDG YT-450.

KV6Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2011 22:17 Send this review to a friend
G5RV Lite with IC-725  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner does a fantastic job making my IC-725 and G5RV Lite get along with each other. Able to achieve respectable VSWR figures in minimal time, and the on-board metering provides instant proof. Intend to provide follow-up after a few months of use. Now able to use the full capability of the G5RV lite, from 80 to 10 meters.