Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB1-40. 40m Rotatable dipole. Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB1-40. 40m Rotatable dipole.
OptiBeam OB1-40.  40m Rotatable dipole. Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $525
Description: High efficient 40 meters shortened rotatable dipole, almost lossfree due to the "OptiBeam Air Coil" specially designed for this antenna. Great bandwidth and low swr.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB1-40. 40m Rotatable dipole..

VK3HDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2013 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow! what a difference, I have installed the OB1-40 above my OB9-5, I've previously had a Cushcraft A4s with the 40m add on kit and an inverted V dipole at 24m. I'm now hearing signals that I've never heard before, and they are hearing me!

Like all Optibeam products, the build quality is superb,and those big open air coils are a work of art. SWR was better than the figures quoted.

As usual Tom was a pleasure to deal with, his advise on spacing between the antenna's was on the money, no coupling and both perform flawlessly. The antenna arrived one week after ordering, not bad from Germany to Australia.

Thank you Tom for a fantastic antenna, & your great service.

Don
VK3HDX

DV1NLO Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2013 00:42 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OB1-40, excellent 40M rotary dipole ever made. WHY?
1. With High Q Air Coils, amazing swr read out with different power output.
2. Power handling, WOW!! My QRO and COMMANDER speaks on it.
3. Performance in Transmit and Receive, Great!
4. Tom DF2BO, very reachable person and with excellent support. Try it!!!
Highly recommended antenna and Im adding one OptiBeam antenna soon.

73 MABUHAY!
DV1NLO

OZ7MHZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2011 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have recently installed an OB1-40 above my OB9-5 at a height of 25meters and for a single element antenna the performance is amazing! Most of the signals I pull in and put out are 2-3 S-points higher than I have with my 25meter long folded dipole. Busting through pile-ups is seroiusly good fun and this antenna performs as good or better than my Cushcraft A4S with 40meter add-on. I have now scrapped the A4S!
The OB1-40 is very well made and can be assembled in under an hour. It stays rigid in high winds and is surprisingly light for its size. SWR is actually better than in the specs and no need spend money a tuner.
This antenna is in a league of its own and if you want fantastic performance on 40meters with a single element antenna, look no further....this is the one!

DL2ND Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2010 21:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using two antennas, the OB1-40 on top and OB11-5 beneath it, both at aprox. 21 meters above the ground.
The OB1-40 is better than a normaly rotary dipole.
Easy to install with the manual.
The support of the Optibeam company is excellent.

Your next antenna should be a Optibeam antenna :)

73, Uwe

CT1BWW Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2007 12:21 Send this review to a friend
SUPER Antennas for Great DXers!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dear Friends,
I don't want to change your idea about antennas.
But as already write on my other Review on OPTIBEAM 9-5.
I like very much WORKING 40 Meters Band, so I couldn't setup a antena system without 7 MHZ. My previous antenna was a Yagi with 40 Meters. I've study very careffuly all Technical information about this OPTIBEAM 1-40 and shown that is the correct choice.
1) Good Technical Features exactly as shown on Web-Site
2) Very Good Quality (German Technonology)
3) Good price
4) Easy to setup
5) Very good Technical Support from OPTIBEAM Factory. (Documentation is good) but if you have any question they answer all your questions.
So My decision was made, put two (2) antennas on the same mast. Separating about 2,50 Mts from OPTIBEAM 1-40 than OPTIBEAM 9-5 this is my antenna system and it's REALLY GREAT!
Exactly What I've expected ? First QSO was A52AM on First Call on meadle of the Pile-UP.
Work easy DX stations. SUPER RECEPTION, VERY GOOD LISTENING !I Work with a Very Good performance NORTH AMERICA, CENTRAL and SOUTH AMERICA and Oceania.
If you decide to have a 40 Meters antenna on your Antenna System this is a good Choice if want to have on the same mast , same tower.
I'm QRV! for any question!
Enjoy DX!
73s from Marq/CT1BWW

DL1EJA Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2007 04:06 Send this review to a friend
compact pileup killer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this dipole mounted together with OB1-30 on a boom section about 2m on top of a OB-11-5 about 20m over ground. It is really a amazing, how easy it is to assable and to use. Worked 3 new DXCC (#265) in the first week: This one is a pileup killer!

SV1BYI Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2006 02:51 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: more than 12 months
The OB1-40 is much more than just a rotary dipole for 7 MHZ. Well, it is not a two or even more element Yagi, but comparing it with a lossy vertical or inverted vee which radiates somewhat steeper into the sky it is the ultimate solution if nothing really big can be installed.
The OB1-40 immediately lets your participate on the dx business on 40m. Working and breaking pile ups is not a problem, it simply is fun.
Because you have some directivity the reception facilities on the noisy 40m band are improved dramatically.
Though the OB1-40 is a shortened element it performs like a full sized one. The high Q coils which are used to reduce the element length seem to be the key for that. And to see these coils is a must, I’ve never seen such a wonderful design before.
Mechanically the OB1-40 is build rugged and solid, like any OptiBeam antenna.
For a perfect optical appearance and to make it withstand the highest winds the element is trussed.
If you want to work dx on 40m instead of just hearing your friends talk about it, just go ahead and get an OB1-40 up in the air. And soon you will have worked more than 265 countries within 2 years, like me.

A71EM Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2003 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Nov 18, 2003 18:35  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought my OB1-40 and OB9-5, I used to work with an Invrted V dipole on 40m which wasn't that bad but since I put up my OB1-40 I noticed a very big diffrent this is realy a very good antenna to buy.

73'de
A71EM

EA1XF Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2003 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Rotateable Dipole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the best antenna I know to start with seriously on 40 meters band without any problem or complain. I had before a KLM 40M1L but this OptiBeam has some very good characteristics and advantages over my previous rotary dipole that I will try to describe as follows :

1. The antenna is extremely easy and fast to assemble. Many parts already come pre-assembled.

2. The high Q air coils are so well done that you have to see them. They are close to perfection!

3. Very rugged components and includes a complete truss system.

4. When lifting up the antenna, it is so well flush that it goes up by itself, always keeping the horizontal position. It was very easy to do it. I had some problems at this point with the KLM, with many risk of bending the linear loading section.

5. Bandwidth and SWR are excellent and especially good considering that in my case, the antenna is located in between my other two OptiBeam Yagis: 1.5 meters over my 16 elements tribander and 1.5 meters below my 7 elements WARC bander. Besides, there is no interaction at all with the rest of the antennas. (no way with the KLM, unless you use an antenna tuner).

6. I had the opportunity of checking the antenna under high winds and heavy rain and there is no change at all on the performance of the antenna. Always 1:1.3

7. The antenna has gone through 55 mph wind this winter and facing horizontally, with no damage at all. It seems to be very rugged.

8. Comparing the signals with my inverted vee, I have found a maximum difference of +20 dB stronger in favour of the OB1-40. Working Japan from here, I sometimes do not hear them with the dipole and with the OptiBeam I was able to work them very easily. A 5/9 in VK6 and 20 to 30 over every night in EU is not bad, is it?. I really like working 40 meters since I stuck it up. So what else could I ask for to a just a one element antenna?. I wish I could have two elements…

If you really would like to noticeably improve your signals on 7 Mhz, this is one way to go. I strongly recommend it to everybody. You will be very satisfied!.

Carlos, EA1XF