Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Directional: Yagi, quad, rotary dipole, LPD, etc | OptiBeam OB12-6. Six-Bander Beam (10-12-15-17-20-40). Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB12-6. Six-Bander Beam (10-12-15-17-20-40).
OptiBeam OB12-6.  Six-Bander Beam (10-12-15-17-20-40). Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2599
Description: Unique in the world. Six bands: 10-12-15-17-20-40 meters with no traps and just one feedline. Perfect performance with no need of tuning.
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB12-6. Six-Bander Beam (10-12-15-17-20-40)..

HI8RD Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2014 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Multiband Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It took me so time to write this review after seven month of using the Optibeam OB-12-6.
I‘ve been a ham since mid seventies and have operated different antennas systems on several locations thru all the years on the hobby.

I am not a contester but during the present stage of my ham life I enjoy the pleasure of working DX. I am focused on improving my station and started with the antenna system. I was clear I needed to replace a multiband hex beam and a 2 elements 40M Hy-Gain monobander using the old linear loading system. I started looking for a multiband antenna that included my favorite band which is 40 meters.

It took me a while looking at different options. I wanted to combine a good quality, compact size with minimum compromise as well as an optimum design on both electrically and mechanically. With this demand in mind I knew the price was not going to be cheap, among various manufacturers, I contacted Optibeam by email and got lots of valuable information from Tom DF2BO, also from Bob W5OV who provided all the pricing and shipping information at Array Solutions who is the US rep for Optibeam Antennas.

After exploring different manufacturers I finally made up de decision to go for the Optibeam OB12-6

ORDERING:
When you go to Optibeam website it is a bit confusing to get a clear idea of how much it will cost you to get the antenna, especially if you are not in Europe to figure out the cost, the shipping and to do the currency conversion, specially for me that have to convert from Dominican Pesos to Dollars and the to Euros. First I contacted Array Solutions in Texas the US and it was fairly smooth to process the order.

SHIPPING AND DELIVERY:
Once the order was placed I received the antenna much earlier than what I expected, the antenna was shipped on April 11 and in the morning of April 15 I got a telephone call from my local airline company at Santo Domingo International airport telling me I had a package from Germany. Great.

PACKING:
The antenna was packed and shipped with the same quality of its design. It came in three boxes, two large very well packed boxes and a third box with the heavy duty balum shipped from Array Solutions. I have to admit that when I opened the boxes I got myself intimidated by the huge amount of parts included, but going thru the instructions included, it was fairly straightforward proccess

Be advised there are many small parts associated with this antenna. In the packets of nuts, bolts and washers extras were included. After checking the parts I kept all parts in the respective bags until ready for use.
I did find a couple of items missing which not sure if were lost in Customs or what. These minor problems were not enough to degrade my evaluation and pure pleasure with the quality and finished of the product. Quality control is up there,

MANUALS & INSTRUCTIONS:
A set of manuals which in first part in German, followed by the English version, it is a single document on both languages, a collections of general pictures, not all is relevant for the OB12-6 which is confusion at the beginning but a detailed schematic drawing showing all dimensions in detail. The manual may be improved in the future by optibeam, but not problems were encountered during assembling process.

ASSEMBLING:
I took me three days dedicating 5-6 hours daily to completely assembly the OB12-6. I used some wooden stands made with 4X4 which were very useful to hold the boom flat in place, and assembling the elements. There were no issues encountered with the elements. All parts and components were very carefully labeled and marked down according their functions.

All the parts and components were marked and labeled as to their function on the antenna.
Boom assembly was perfect: all holes lined-up.
The tubing for each element bundled together for very easy assembly.

TESTING:
After the assembly I performed the initial tests using an antenna analyzer . At about 5 feet high and surrounded by walls and different things around the small garden area it was acceptable SWR readings of about 1.7:1 to a highest of 2.1:1 on the lowest frequency (7MHz). Obviously, I did not expected ideal performance 5ft off the ground.

PERFORMANCE:
My first QSO with the OB12-6 was to Israel, the antenna was about 5 feet above the ground, my report 58, not too bad. Now at a height of 75 feet reports of 59++ are common. But my pleasure is being able to report back signals of 59+ to dipoles, verticals, QRP and mobile stations around the world is just phenomenal.
I work DX stations pounding in like local stations with signal reports well over S 9 plus while they are virtually not hearable on my V inverted dipole about 60 ft.

I am working stations I hardly heard before with outstanding signals, these are few of the countries I am working daily: Japan, New Zealand, Emirates, Hawaii, Arabia, Nigeria, Israel, Sudan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Africa, W. Malaysia, among others and the ability to break pilups it on the first call, I am a believer.

CONCLUSION:
This is a very worthwhile asset to any serious amateur radio operator. After six months of owning and operating the OB12-6 I can only say that I cannot contemplate pursuing the hobby without a valuable piece of hardware like this.
I would not hesitate to recommend the OB12-6 to anyone is serious about a good antenna

I have given this antenna a "5" because of a combination of the antenna design, quality materials used, great customer service, prompt response and attention from its general manager Tom-DF2BO, clear instruction manual, and the excellent performance after 6 months operating the antenna.

And if you can’t tell…I am really enjoying this Optibeam OB12-6, it has renewed the pleasure of this fantastic hobby of ours so ever more enjoyable.

OH1MTS Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2013 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Super  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My OB6-12 has been up in tower for 3 months and I would like to put out some words.
1, thanks to all my friends in UAE telling “OptiBeams” are the best you can get.
2, thanks to Thomas at OptiBeam for the professional support, support also includes the corrections when customer is making mistakes. Much appreciated when Thomas pointed out from SWR table that my 40m settings for Europe where wrong.
3, thanks to OH6NVC building the tower for me.
4, thanks to OH6RM and group doing the mast installation.
I’m working remotely 95 percent of the time and having a super beam with only one feedline with no need to tune “ oola,oola “ is the way to work.

This week’s reports from USA:
40m “ you can write your own report as it’s so strong”
20m +65db “stronger signal would mean that I need to use Richter’s Scale

All this with 6m (20ft) boom, my next project is to have second tower and 80m beam .

ON7TQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 03:17 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using the antenna for over a year now, i still love everything on the arial. Reports I get from all over the world proves that the antenna does the work I wanted it to do. Great construction, very solid materials, and not to forget great service from DF2BO Tom. Keep up the good work guys

ON7TQ - OQ7T
Roger

W3CF Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2003 14:40 Send this review to a friend
this the Mercedes of Multiband yagi's  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Called Thomas and bought an OB12-6 for our operation at V26DX for CQWW SSB 2003. Not being a techie all I can tell you is that this is the best multi band Yagi I have ever used. I thought my Mosley Pro series was stout but this thing makes it look puny. Pictures of Installation at http://www.v26dx.com . Tom and his wife Dianna came to Antigua to assemble and install the antenna on the roof of an 8 story hi-rise hotel on the west coast of Antigua. Dianna put 90% of the antenna together by herself and this baby smokes!! Precision engineered parts and computer designed modeling and assembly was just outstanding.

We entered contest M/M and about 80 watts to the Optibeam mounted at 137' ASL. An actual salt pond is less than 100' away and the Caribbean less than 300' away. We were able to hold any frequency 10-40 that we wanted even amidst KW alley. Granted the V26DX call sign helps a great deal but we did over 5.7K Q's on the high bands and 40 m and we really never got pushed around.

SWR curves were right out of the installation manual and very impressive. No traps...one feedline....built with precision German engineering....Gotta figure out a way to get this Mosley off my tower and get a OB12-6 HERE..
73 Doug W3CF / V25C@ V26DX

DL2UH Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2003 02:04 Send this review to a friend
A super new 6 band Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
My new antenna (OptiBeam OB 12-6) 6 bands - no tuning - unbeatable performance

Who ever might think that a sixband-Yagi for the bands 40-20-17-15-12-10m can only be a compromise should try the OptiBeam OB12-6.
This trapless Yagi shows amazing performance on any of the 6 bands.

I was using a 2el duo driven DJ4VM multiband quad for about 6 years.
It was a never ending story with tuning, matching, repairing, trying new systematics and what not.
When comparing my dx signal with friends from my surroundings most of the time I had to carry the red laterne. I really was frustrated and tired of all that.

OptiBeam has gained a great reputation all around the world meanwhile. Being on the air I heard more and more happy users of OptiBeam Yagis.
Studying eham.net more and more nice reviews for OptiBeam Yagis show up.
Though I was sceptical. Could that really work? 6 bands with one single coaxial feed line, including 40m, just on a 22 foot boom? Haven’t I heard from so many hams who have just tried 4 banders 40-20-15-10m which never seemed to work properly? And what would happen with the well known interaction between 40m and at least 15m?
I spoke to Tom, known as DF2BlueOcean, President of OptiBeam, who simply offered that he would take the antenna back in case I would be disappointed.

So at the beginning of July 2003 I bought the OB12-6 straight from the OptiBeam factory.
The assembly was easy, everything fits perfectly, only the best material is used, and the 40m elements with the so called „high efficient air coils“ look wonderful.
In the evening the antenna went up to a height of 55 feet, first SWR check, wow, absolutely amazing, all 6 bands just looked perfect, and the 1 : 2 SWR bandwidth on 40m is about 160 khz easily.
In the same night, just with 100 Watts, I worked so much dx like I did not work for many weeks with my quad. Just good conditions at that day?
For sure not. The next day and all the following days until today show, though having the worse location in comparison to several hams in my surroundings, no longer I have to carry the red laterne, in dxing I am equally strong now compared to many guys who have considerably better locations than I.
And on 40m now I beat most of them as I have a 2el Yagi on this band with my OB12-6.

I only can highly recommend this multiband-Yagi, it for sure is no compromise, it is a performer.

Tom, thanks for your good consulting and for delivering this amazing product!