Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-974H Balance Line Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-974H Balance Line Tuner
MFJ-974H Balance Line Tuner Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $190
Description: The MFJ-974H is a fully balanced true balanced line antenna tuner. It gives you superb current balance throughout its very wide matching and frequency range.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-974H

You can write your own review of the MFJ-974H Balance Line Tuner.

M1EAR Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2013 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Amazing but it's still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, it is a MFJ! but hey mine has been a sturdy home base unit as well as being transported over the Akamas Peninsular here in Cyprus for over 3 years and has worked well with various antennas including "bits of long wire" and as long as you keep the key down power below 150w or better still around 100w it's a workhorse without complaint. Wouldn't dream of using it over 150w, I suspect a flash over would be the result. Must say inside my 974H it's well constructed (can't believe I'm saying that about a MFJ product) but in this case it's true. No regrets on my purchase. Would I buy another? Not before checking it's construction first, if it's built as good as mine, Yes I would....

LA5SAA Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, what I have got is the MFJ-974 (without 160 m), I have been using it almost every day for about 2 years. And, believe it or not, I have even bought a second one for prtable use.
I am not very exited for MFJ-tuners because of generally poor craftmanship, but both tuners arrived without any soldering problems or loose screws. I am using a 2x18 m doublet, that is the space I have got. With other tuners, for example Palstar symm tuner, I had to fiddle around with the length of the feeder to achieve tuning on all bands, but the 974 does the job regardless feeder length. Also for different portable set-ups, I never had a problem with the tuning. I have, however, never tried to tune a coax fed antenna. With my 90 watts, the tuner does a great job on all types of symmetrically fed antennas. I have even been using this tuner with open feeder to elevated verticals of random length - with good signal reports.

G4BXD Rating: 1/5 Aug 31, 2013 03:42 Send this review to a friend
fried switch  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After about 9 month of use, at no more than 100w max, one of the switch contacts on the main coil flashed over and burnt the switch paxolin. I have tried cleaning it but had to resort to cutting the wire from the coil to the switch on that contact. Frankly, the switch looks, and obviously is, far too small for use. It should have been a ceramic switch at least. Not really great value for money I feel.

G4BXD Rating: 2/5 Dec 24, 2012 03:16 Send this review to a friend
Not great build quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought 974HB to replace old KW-Z match. Frankly, looking inside its a rather poorly made thing. Plastic gears, not lined up, flexing mounting panel for tuning caps which moves as you rotate controls. No slo-mo on tuning or i/p caps, quite small switch for coil taps. Cap spacing looks far too close to run 300W. With 135ft doublet, 450 ohm line, the KW matched it easily. 974HB will not tune high end of 80, tunes low end just, other bands all very jumpy. Considering the cost of the thing I cannot really say its value for money. I shall be going back to my trusty KW unit.

K7TP Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2012 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Does the job very well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this impedance matcher (they're not antenna tuners, but you knew that) for about ten years. It never fails to give me a good impedance match on any of the hf bands using a 112' flattop antenna fed with 450 ohm window line.
I never run more than 100 watts and usually run below twenty. That makes the low-power switch on the meter very useful since in the low position it tops out at slightly more than twenty watts. The readings of the meter in either position compare with my Bird and other meters.
I've worked 200 countries with this arrangement and twenty watts or less.
I don't try to feed unbalanced lines with this even though the product information says one could.
I'm very pleased with this product.

VK4NR Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Iím the sort of guy who likes to run only 100 watts and use simple wire antennas.
I had been using an MFJ-949e for many years but liked the idea behind the 974b with a 1:1 choke balun on the input.
Beacause of the reports of MFJís variable build quality I took the covers off, when first getting the unit, and took a look inside. All was OK with good solder joints, no missing or loose screws etc.
In fact I thought it looked surprisingly good!
I use it on my trusty 80Ē centre fed doublet, fed with 450 ohm ladderline, where it tunes all bands 80 through to 6 metres with ease.
Is it any better than the 949e? Itís hard to tell but I am sure it must be more efficient than the 949e when working into lowish impedances.
Iím very pleased with the tuner and the 949e has now been relegated to back-up status.

G4WXF Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2010 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Good Balance Good Efficiency  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have always been a big fan of simple efficient antennas fed via open wire or ladderline.
Over the years I have acquired many different tuners i.e. Z-match,T-match + 4:1 balun and a classic link coupled unit.
The best, in terms of RF efficiency and balance, was always the link coupled unit but that is no longer the case.
In making A/B measurements, using a pair of calibrated RF ammeters and various balanced loads, the MFJ unit comes very close to the the link coupled unit and, on some bands, is a little more efficient.
The same holds true when measured using various doublet antennas and overall I am impressed with this tunerís performance. I now have two of these tuners, the B model (80 -6) and the HB model (160 Ė 6). (Yes it tunes my doublets on 6 metres and I have had some great contacts).
The metering is accurate and easy to read, the build quality is of a reasonable standard.
For the money it does an excellent job.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2010 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Versatile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really like this tuner!
I have now had it over four years, and will never part with it.
My set-up is very simple: 40' of wire each side of center, on a fiberglass pole bracketed to the chimney. Fed with 300 ohm slotted twin lead, long enough to go from the tuner to the antenna. Center height 32', ends about 25' - a wide angle V. With this simple set up I get a perfect match on every band from 40 on up. Lasy year I got an 857D with 6 Meters, and the tuner tunes up on 6 as well. No problems with feedback.
Last year I had the antenna rigged as an OCF and that worked fine too! Much better than the old Johnson Matchbox,
A very versatile and effective package at a reasonable price.

N6TEZ Rating: 2/5 Oct 8, 2008 13:09 Send this review to a friend
mfj-974HB myexperience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recieved the MFJ-974HB 4 days ago. Had plans for a 160m horizontal loop, but first hooked it up to a 120'(also a 144')end fed wire antenna with a 1/4 wave counterpoise on each band (two on 160m), the counterpoises were installed 14" above dirt and attached to the grounding lug. Attached to the same lug, a grounding wire to the the house service grounding rod directly outside the shack window (tried both with and without this ground- ing condutor). Could not even get a near match on all bands 10-160m. The "antenna" tuning capacitor knob had little or no effect on the meter. Called MFJ and spoke to the Tech Dept. They agreed that it was 'defective' and gave me the option of returning to the dealer or to MFJ for a new one. Returned it to dealer (and ordered a Palstar 1500BT instead). This tuner may have worked well with a balanced feed line (didn't try), but manual says it works with end fed wire and it didn't (even after try a variety of lengths). If you want to play with end fed random wire (Marconi) antennas, this may not be a good choice. The MFJ Tech Dept was very frendly and helpful.

W6IZK Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2008 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After nearly two weeks with the tuner, very happy with its performance on 75, 40 and 20 with the 125 foot dipole. Easy to obtain a match, repeatable dial settings, matches right down to 1:1 on the three bands mentioned.

Great value for the money, works exactly as specified.