Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-994 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-994
MFJ-994 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $Price: $359.95
Description: The MFJ-994 600 Watt IntelliTuner automatic antenna tuner

You can write your own review of the MFJ-994.

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2010 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Great so far...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this tuner now for 18 months and no problems whatsoever. Thought I had a problem when it wouldn't hold a tune but I was overdriving my amp, my fault. Tunes every frequency I've tried and fairly fast, also. Protection circuit sure worked when I was using too much power from my exciter......great tuner for the money.

VK4FR Rating: 1/5 Apr 1, 2010 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Give it a miss  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very frustrated sitting here listening to DX and unable to bring my tuner online.....

Right from the start It wouldn't auto tune. Thought it may have been me not setting it up right, but occasionally it does auto tune....go figure.

I'm running an ALS 500 and 706MKIIG. The on/off switch is intermittent to say the least.

I guess I should have been wary when a large majority of reviews suggest being wary of MFJ but I always like to test something myself...... A

As an aside I bought a MFJ4726 6 port switch which dropped a connector after a week.

I'm a 'new age' ham that buys something expecting it to work....maybe the 'old fashioned' build it yourself has something going for it after all!!

AI4HO Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2009 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Not quite sure yet  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is just my first impression of this auto antenna tuner by MFJ. Let me preface my review by first stating that I have never bought a piece of equipment from MFJ that never ever met or exceeded my expectations. Having said that, I'm still not quite sure about this antenna tuner, I bought this tuner a month ago to go with my Kenwood TS-570D/G, and my Ameritron ALS-600 which I also bought 1 month ago. I bought both pieces at the same time figuring I could pretty much be assured of using my 570, the amp and be able to use almost any antenna I wish.

Now then, the amp works flawlessly, the tuner works, maybe not quite up to my expectations, but it does work. Then again, it may be my fault, maybe I am pressing for too long a time, something I'm not sure what. My experience with auto tuners is what comes on my TS-570 and my IC-756 Pro III. I push the button in for a second or 2 and you her the relays go to work. Well on my 994B, I did purchase the Kenwood interface for the tuner so all I need to do is to push the tune button on my 570 and every thing is supposed to work the same right? Yes and no, I push the button and if the antenna is too far out of whack I hear the relays click and clack a couple of times, but it will not bring my 102' G5RV type antenna into resonance on any band. Nor would it touch my GAP vertical, however with all due respect, I found that I may have a bad PL-259 at the antenna. So my GAP vertical can be taken out of the equation, so that just leaves my 102' wire antenna.

As was said in the beginning this is just my first impression, and will do another review after 6 months then hopefully again after a year. I am mostly sure that it is I and not the tuner that is at fault, and given time I'm sure that this piece of gear from MFJ will come to be an integral part of my Lazy Boy HF station. Hope to catch you all on the air.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

K3GK Rating: 3/5 Nov 25, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
There if you need it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a good little box. I have no trouble on the low bands.
I've learned not to turn it on if the SWR is near 1:1 on the high bands, because on 10 I have a very low SWR and it seems to get confused when I put the amp. That could just be a little RF. Most amps and tuners just don't have much shielding, and a load of fault protection to compensate. Does that sound like anyone you know?

K9YEQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2009 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Does an excellent job  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the tuner after my ALS-600s and it does the job. I have it remotely situated outside, inside an outdoor plastic patio box with 12 Dc and coax runs to it through my 70' conduit from the shack. The temps are sub zero but it works!!! I haven't seen it since I waded out through the snow late last fall, removed the MFJ-993b which it replaced. (I needed it to increase the power handling.) All I can say is WOW. I have never had a tuner which has done as well. Is it perfect? No! I have to select different antennas to get it to recognize I want a better SWR on the one I know works best, but I am not going out there in this frigid weather, bring it back in, and reduce the SWR acceptable range... at least not until well into spring. No complaints here.

I have tried other tuner makes on lower power and gave up. I tried this MFJ because of the excellent experience with the 993b and have not been dissapointed. For 600 watts, this works!

G0BYH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2008 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For the past few years I have been using a SGC230 tuner, but I now needed a tuner which would allow me to run the full UK limit of 400w PEP.
Whilst the SGC has been an excellent tuner I could not really justify the cost of going to the SGC 235 which in the UK is very expensive.
After a lot of time spent looking at reports and reviews I deceided to try the MFJ994 with the remote control option.

The tuner itself is sited in a wooden shed at the bottom of the garden next to which is the mast which supports my HF antennas.
The antenna which is connected to the tuner is an Inverted L which is about 25mtrs in length,
this is connected to the wire output of the tuner and a ground radial and counterpoise system connected to the ground connection. The remote control unit is sited about 15mtrs away in the shack. The 994 tunes without problem on all bands, and if at some frequencies you do not get the VSWR you are expecting the manual tune option allows you to modify the value.
I have been using the tuner now for some weeks on SSB, RTTY and PSK, at power levels ranging from 20 to 400watts without any problems.

W4INF Rating: 2/5 Oct 28, 2007 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Not as expected..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most of my MFJ products are great, the tuner does do a fine job however there were some glitches that caused me to be rid of it.

When running small QRO abt 300w, I could get the ant tuned (10w) and then go to transmit, I heard a "klick" in the tuner as a relay switched and my SWR would go out of whack... No matter what I tried, could not solve the problem.

Sold it for a big loss and bought a screwdriver which I now run QRO 600w on and NO tuning problems.

W4INF

KT7AZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2007 15:17 Send this review to a friend
good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Product works as advertised. I would like to see and add on kit for auto amp by-pass for tuning. As many can attest, when under pressure during a contest or just absent minded, you can forget to turn off amp.

I have created a switch box which sits next to tuner which disables my amp. This seems to work ok so long as I and especially others using my station during a contest remember to us it.

KW4J Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2006 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Really a 4.5  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I rate the MFJ- 994 Autotuner as 4 because of a characteristic that common in several autotuners that I owned, mainly tuning to lowest SWR on the first pass. The tuner usually otains an acceptable VSWR, say 1.9 or less. However, to tune lower the TUNE control must be accessed again. In fact sometimes it is efficient to cycle between the transceiver's and the autotuner's TUNE buttons fo a couple of cycles to obtain minimum VSWR which can approach unity. This characteristic may have to do with the interaction between VSWR tolerance bands and the sensing part of the control feedback loop. Interaction between the transceiver and autotuner control circuits could also be another source. Regardless, it is more of a slight nuisance than a problem.

I like the MFJ-994 and it seems to be doing everything I expect. I run it with an IC-714 and an Ameritron ALS-500M amp. I use mostly dipoles and verticals but I like the option of being able to use a random wire. This combination reduces my tuning time to almost nothing and gives me a lot of flexibility over my old setup. Like most of the autotuners, it is noisy and appears to take a long time to tune for the first time. However, functions such as constant-tune monitoring make up for any shortcomings.

VK3MDD Rating: 3/5 Sep 27, 2006 06:05 Send this review to a friend
ok but hoped for better  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
should have the 993 lcd features
noisy when tuning,but generally fast
outside paint finish ...unsure as to the durabilty
instruction manual could be improved,vague and not well detailed
has done the job without problems,but not needed now as my 1000V has a much better built in ATU