Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-271A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-271A
Kenwood TM-271A Reviews: 104 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: 2meter mobile

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-271A.

NQ5F Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2011 20:50 Send this review to a friend
It's a winner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this rig several weeks ago to go in my new truck. I am extremely happy with it and with 60 watts into my 5/8 wave can work repeaters all over that I couldn't before. I like the display color and alpha tagging, but wish it had more channels (200) with alpha tags. When you name the memories you can only have 100. The mic is great and is lighted so you can find it when you drop it on the floor at night. I got it for $100 (used).
KG4LOV Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2011 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice simple radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this radio a couple of weeks, but really love it. It replaces an Alinco DR-605 that I never really cared for. The 271 is much simpler to use and program, and the audio is good and clear and the tx reports are also good.
KB5YYX Rating: 1/5 Apr 12, 2011 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 271-A is fair. It never worked out of the box, wouldn't transmit under any circumstances. I could receive NOAA broadcasts, repeaters all sounded like a burst of static. I sent it to Kenwwod for evaluation. Kenwood (FTH Group) said it worked perfectly and sent it back. I am ready it to trash it for something that works.
KC2UUX Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2011 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Great rig, and true narrowband as well  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 20 months of mobile use in the weather extremes of the northeast US, I will cast another vote for the rock-solid performance of this great rig. The TM-271A is also (as of this date) the only 2M rig from the big 4 (Yaesu,Kenwood,Icom,Alinco) that will truly do the 2.5khz channel step (aka frequency step), necessary to access all of the new narrowband frequencies. I will add a 2M/70CM mobile rig soon; not to replace the TM-271A, but to sit beside it. Yes, in my opinion, this Kenwood is that good.
73 de Chris
9W2FED Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2011 07:42 Send this review to a friend
good perfomance except receiving audio for FM Wide mode  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Anyone facing problem with receiving audio on FM wide? it's work well on narrow. There is another 2 members that facing same problem.
KD0NFF Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Love mine!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Rock solid little rig with plenty of power and some of the cleanest modulation I've found. I love the mic that comes with these things. So many other FM mobile manus are including crap mics that weigh nothing and have little clicky PTT switches, Not this mic.. very professional feeling. The whole rig feels more like a commercial radio than an amateur radio.
KE7SNN Rating: 2/5 Nov 30, 2010 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Nothing to be proud of  Time owned: more than 12 months
Was a great radio at first, no problems and I could easily talk to the safety officials at the other end of the 33 mile track. Now it has problems with the digital squalch that can't be fixed without putting a lot of money into new test equipment or sending the radio to a repair facility and waiting for whatever length of time it takes to fix the radio. Total length of ownership = 18 months.
N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 08:40 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these radios, I bought one for the mobile about 5 years ago and while I wasn't sure about so few buttong on the front pannel, I found it was actually much easier to use than I ever expected. The menu settings are all set and forget for me, low power 25 watts is all I need. I don't experience any intermod and live in the center of a city, and travel through business areas all the time but I do use tone squelch which may be what can account for that as I'm not a fan of the 2 meter band but do monitor the club repeater and am involved with ARES and RACES, and monitor local public service so the radio gets used whenever I'm in the car. I've never had any complaint with the radio, I've had it in 2 vehicles now and the second one I mentioned I have is on packet. My packet station is up and going 24/7 and I even have a couple guys who chat on packet from about 4-7 AM using me as a digipeater, especially in the winter and this radio just takes it with no complaint, other than a couple weeks while it was off the air so I could move, that radio's been running for about 4 years. I said after getting the mobile if I could find a good deal on another one I'd take it and I got that good deal on a brand new one for some strange reason someone couldn't figure out how to program it and stuff. How you can't figure out such an easy radio I don't know but it worked out for me that day as he cut the connector off the power cord so didn't want to try to return it that way. I find Kenwoods by far and away the best sounding and easiest to operate radios out there, these no exception, I may even buy a third one if I can find one for the right price and have the money.
If anyone's looking for a programming cable, the same one that works with most commercial radios, like the TK-880, TK-780, and that series and really most kenwood commercial mobiles will work with this radio and is a lot cheaper on ebay than the kenwood cable they sell for this radio. Software's free and simple to use as well.
WV1K Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2010 08:29 Send this review to a friend
Good for voice and packet  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent audio from the front firing speaker. More sensitive than the TM-V71A directly above it here. If it wasn't for the 222 RX, I wouldn't have bothered with a dual bander at this time given the PAVE PAWS sham perpetrated on the local compliant sheep that was initiated when a long time ham employee left the facility and there was no one earnest / familiar left to counter their claims. I can't speak to button 3 and there are many variables with DTMF decoder units, but hardly feel that warrants a low rating if universal. Just my opinion in the cellular era. Certainly DSTAR linking is the future given the falling activity levels on Echolink after several years.
KE6EUM Rating: 2/5 Jun 24, 2010 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Has a design flaw  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this around xmas based on the good reviews.
Transmit and receive works fine. Good audio.
I discovered a design flaw while attempting to access an echolink node. DTMF # 3 was not the correct frequency. Took it back to HRO, who sent it into Kenwood for repair. 4 weeks later,got it back with the same problem. Just for grins, i tried to bring up the same node with HRO's display 271a. Different radio/mic. Same problem. Apparently, this particular model does not transmit DTMF #3 correctly. It worked fine otherwise.
I ended up exchanging it for a Yaesu.
I know it's a minor problem, but as a matter of principle, a brand new radio should work 100%.
Another complaint i have about it is: For me the menu system was difficult to read and was complicated. I found myself having to review the manual several times for common tasks (programmable scans, etc). I could not imagine programming this radio for various functions unless you have the manual handy (ALWAYS).