Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-271A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-271A
Kenwood TM-271A Reviews: 102 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: 2meter mobile

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-271A.

K9EUI Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2008 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the 271 for several months now. Overall I'd certainly get another one but there are a few things I'd like to see:

1) Better settings for the time-out timer. Since most repeaters are set for 3 minutes, we need something just a little less than that - also a warning beep before it times out would be nice.

2) A 3rd power level in the 5 to 10 watt range.

3) Maybe I am too old-school but give me a "REAL" squelch control.

G8ITB Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 10:23 Send this review to a friend
No Problems!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio since new - over 2 years. It is mounted in my Honda CR-V with a Diamond NR-22L 144 Mhz only antenna on a spare wheel mount and has travelled all over Western Europe. I have had no problems due to its 'rugged' semi-commercial build. The low power is a bit high - but I accept that. I knew that fact when I bought it. The deviation is to current commercial 'narrow' specification.
As it is NOT a wide-band receiver type it has good out of band (intermod) rejection. If you need more then do what I do - fit a decent bandpass filter in the antenna lead. If you can get a Kenwood BPF-2A; great! But for the ultimate bandpass filter go get a DCI filter - I use one and NOTHING causes me intermod problems!
Even working at major international airports and military installations - I'm clear!

Richard G8ITB.

KC0SEY Rating: 3/5 Jan 14, 2008 22:23 Send this review to a friend
Goods & Bads of TM271  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for about 2 years. They are for the most part, a good radio. They are built well when it comes to the case and the mike. About my only complaint would be that it has some intermod problems. Where I live the are MANY VHF paging stations around. I get paging noise from these services. Also a few of the comercial radio stations use 150 MHz for remote feed back to their studios, this also intermods quite bad. In short, a great radio if you live in a rural or small town area. In a metro situation, they have some intermod problems.

HB9OAY Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 01:52 Send this review to a friend
More than a basic VHF Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bougt this rig 3 years ago because I wanted a tough one for my 4WD truck planning to use it when travelling in the Sahara desert.
The MIL sepecs really play the role: solid, dust proof (it has no fan), 60W power and an incredible front speaker (so loud and clear you can't even suspect).
The Mic is also tough enough to stand the rig (even if the red keybord doesn't match the green display).
The reciver is very sensitive and the transmitter has a good modulation tone along with the real 60W power output (you can even adjust it to 70W if you really need).
I got an A version because at that time it wasn't available in Switzerland. This version hasn't the data port but you can install one by yourself. You just need a mini-DIN plug and and a piece of cable. Open the rig and you'll find the the contacts on the bord well labelled.

For the "dark side" there are two minor issues:
The lack of a real low power step (saying 5W) along with 25W and 60W.
A little low deviation (you may need to increment it a bit by using the adjust menu).

The lack of some functions on the front panel are not an issue in IMO, you can easly program the ones you need on the PF keys of the mic.

Despite these minor issues, it still a great rig that I would buy it again (I trade it for a TM-V71 because I really needed the UHF for Echolink).

Warmly recommended ;o)

Mauro - HB9OAY

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2007 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one to use as a packet radio tranceiver for my APRS base station. I also use it in my wife's car with a 5/8 wave mag-mount antenna when we go on road trips. It works beautifully for both applications. This is an easy-to-use 2M radio that has plenty of audio from a front firing speaker. I normally run it at 25 watts, but it is handy to have 65 watts when needed.

N0CODENOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2007 16:59 Send this review to a friend
GOOD RADIO FOR THE $$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this to put in work car. First impression-good so far. Have not experienced the low transmit audio previous reviews have noted. Transmit audio gets all good reports.
Solid build mechanically. Like the microphone, better than anything I've seen on competing rigs. Receiver is very sensitive and seems immune to most intermod. Great spec. on frequency stability (2.5 ppm). Checked it on a service monitor and everything where it should be.
If there were a front panel squelch control, it would be a big improvement. A 10 watt power setting would be nice, but 25 watts works fine for everything I've needed. It's good to have the 65 watt output available if needed.
This one is a definite keeper.

KC7CJO Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2007 11:13 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little rig! I've had mine almost 3 years now and have had NO problems.

I DO agree, though, that they should have put an analog squelch knob in it and beefed up the heat sink to handle the 60, or so, watts that this rig is capable of. But, hey, NO ONE is perfect! If they made it perfect, we wouldn't have anything to complain about! :)

I haven't had any problems with the microphone, but I have heard others talking about the low audio and that adjusting the Deviation, using the 8-page PDF file from the service manual didn't help.

One solution that someone came up with was to take the microphone apart and carefully drill a larger hole (be VERY careful doing this) where the microphone element opens up to the front of the microphone. This allows more audio signal into the microphone element!

JUST a suggestion!!

Otherwise I've had NO problems and have enjoyed the rig immensely!

KF6ELR Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2007 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the 271 in a high vibration environment on our snowmobiles for hours of problem free operation. It has worked well with the small snowmobile battery and been clearly heard on simplex from deep in the Sierras down into the Sacramento Valley.

K3JJC Rating: 0/5 Apr 8, 2007 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Would not buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Once again technology has ruined a good thing. This is the most annoying radio to program from the front panel I have ever seen. To simply adjust the squelch you just
Press F
Press REV (that makes sense)
Turn Menu to SQL 1
Turn TUNING control to adjust level.
If you think thats fun wait til you program a repeater with tones.
Off course they have a free computer program that works very well with the $80 cable.
Trying to set up one for a friend, I finally recommended he return it and get something else.
I hate to rate anything negative but this piece deserves it, in my opinion.

KC7CJO Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2007 16:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio for several years and love it! I recently did a modification to allow it to run Packet from an internal connection (the same connection that the "E" version radio uses). I soldered a 6-pin mini-DIN pigtail on to the pads marked for the pigtail and it fit (because it was MADE to do this!).

The instructions, pictures and drawings for this are on the Yahoo Group TM-271A! If you're really interested in this great radio, come join us!

Rod