Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7800R
Yaesu FT-7800R Reviews: 202 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: Dualband mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

KF5BFC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has a ton of features, but the menu is also intuitive so you don't pull your hair out trying to program it without the manual. I've owned mine for 4 years (always mobile) and it has never given me the slightest bit of trouble.

KK4ULE Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice simple dual bander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Radio has a very nice display, decent horsepower (50/40 watts V/U), fair share of fancy features, and seems to be built fairly tough. It does have an auto fan on the back but it isn't bad. I've seen/heard worse. I wanted a single display for the mobile as I plan to use the rig on the fly and therefore didn't want to be messing with a lot. Display is really nice and bright for those bright daylight commutes and is easy enough to program quickly while in a parking lot. Yaesu's prices for the extension cables are just ignorant but worry not, about 3 dollars worth of wire & 6P6C (RJ12)connectors and make your own. While you are at it get a RJ12 coupler ($1.50) and extend your mic cord too! Overall it is a simple and effective rig with only 2 negatives IMHO - 1. Built-in speaker is a joke in a mobile, don't even bother trying without an external speaker unless your driving a max of 25mph with all windows up and no air on. 2. Mic feels/is cheap. It does the job but feels like I could just crush it accidentally if I ever keyed up while mad.

KE5TJT Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now used this radio for 5 years without any issues whatsoever. I find programming it via the front buttons almost impossible so I just use the software which makes it ridiculously easy. As for the people saying this radio doesn't have rated power, I'm thinking they're doing it wrong. The rated wattage is ONLY AT 13.6-13.8V!!! Notice, a car battery at rest is NOT PUTTING OUT THIS MUCH!!! I tested my radio with the engine off and got 30 watts on high. I plugged in a battery charger which boosted the voltage to 13.6 and suddenly I got exactly 50 watts out. I got EXACTLY what was stated at each power level. I'm pretty sure people here are not checking it at rated voltage. You gotta follow ALL THE RULES when checking output voltage. My old antique VHF marine radio did the same thing, 14 watts on high with engine off. Engine on or battery charger plugged in, and I got 30 watts out!

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2013 05:18 Send this review to a friend
OK, except....  Time owned: more than 12 months
...for the microphone cord. Yaesu insists on putting this cheapo microphone cord on their products. The cord is a piece of junk. The cord is good for 2-3 years and then it falls apart. Other than that, its a great radio.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Steady as a rock  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a reliable, easy to use radio. It was a demo, so I needed to wipe memories and add my preferences. It would be great to have a quick guide (like wiping and adding memories), but this is my only niggle.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2013 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio, nice audio, clean TX. Only reason, display is too small.

K7UA Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2013 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these for my 4X4 truck at AES in Las Vegas. They recommended it over the other comparable units, especially since the remote cable was included at that time and Icom wanted a fortune for theirs. It has been shaken up on alot of dirt roads in that truck. I have no complaints except for some intermod from near by commercial users. Setting the tone squelch used by most of our local repeaters took care of that. I don't know what the new 7900 has over the 7800, but the 7800 is a good radio.

ON3RT Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for buck ! This dual-band mobile rig is a keeper !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During my travels I make a mental note of rigs that I've seen the locals use. You see plenty of these rigs in tropical countries. If a transceiver makes it through tropical temperatures, high humidity and omnipresent dust then it points to good components, intelligent design and superior build quality. The YAESU FT-7800 and it's successor the FT-7900 are the TOYOTA COROLLA of dual-band mobile radios.

As a member of the Belgian Red-Cross EmComm Response Unit I required a rugged and simple to operate VHF/UHF transceiver. I discounted the need for cross-band repeat and D-Star functionalities. I wanted a transceiver that is intuitive to configure manually.

With CHIRP - a free, open-source tool for programming amateur radio rigs (including the FT-7800) - my rig's memories banks can be easily updated, sorted by scan categories and archived. Rig re-configuration and customisation as well as adding, modifying and deleting data contained in the 1000 memories becomes kid's play. I had my frequently used repeaters/transponders and simplex frequencies loaded into the unit's memory banks in under an hour.

Likes :
+ Easy to read orange LCD display
+ Detachable facade
+ Cooling fan
+ Die-cast heat-sink
+ Easy to homebuild remoting cable ("6P4C" 6-pin connectors crimped onto either RJ-11 or RJ-12 cable)

To conclude, the YAESU FT-7800 is the most reviewed VHF/UHF Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) on EHAM. Check out how it compares with other similar rigs at http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/38

Best 73s !!!

Ravi / ON3RT

OM = "RAVI"
QTH = Brussels (Grid Square Locator JO20FU)
Website = http://www.qrz.com/db/ON3RT
Member of Radio-Club UBA Brussels-East ON5UB

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
hold power button for few seconds  Time owned: more than 12 months
for the last operator that commented on the rig not powering up, just a quick word. Hold the power button for a few seconds. If that is any help,or take it in to get looked at because its a great rig.....

KC9CVW Rating: 1/5 Dec 30, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
YUCK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio about 2 or 3 years ago and only used it a few times with a magnet mount antenna. Now my interest in ham has received a shot of enthusiasm, so I (tried) to power the radio up. Literally, the radio has been sitting in a padded bag for 2-3 years.

So far, its been 2 weeks and I can't get the thing to work. I've replaced the power cord and fuses, checked and replaced the 6 connector cable.

I can hear the radio pop on for a second, and the mike will light up but it wont stay working.

My Vertex 150 also has been back to the shop 2 or three times for repairs. Not from over use I tell you. I've spent a few hours over 3 years on the air.

I will never buy Yaesu again. I will never recommend Yaesu. The radio doesn't have a scratch or blemish on it. Its like brand new and it fails to work.

My friend lent me his "to hell and back ICOM" and despite the fact that it looks like it went through Season 2 of "24" , it works flawlessly.