Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7800R
Yaesu FT-7800R Reviews: 205 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: Dualband mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

VE6BGM Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2014 21:34 Send this review to a friend
Not sure it is hard to set memories  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned most mobile and hand held Yaesu including HF, I find them very easy to program. If one follows the manual, after a few memories are input it becomes very easy to load new frequencies into memory. As with any ham radio, one has to set repeater off set [generally automatic so only have to worry about freq. around 147.000]; any tones and power. If you have to change a frequency just do the same and select the memory number you want the new frequency to overwrite. I can change a memory in less than 10 secs.. I have problems with Icom, Kenwood and the cheap Chinese radios when programming but that is because I do not do them enough. One can always use a radio programming software, but one should frequently load new frequencies into memory to stay familiar with how the particular radio programs in the field. I find Yaesu radios really easy to program

W5AER Rating: 3/5 Oct 23, 2014 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Very hard to program  Time owned: more than 12 months
While the 7800 works great as a transceiver, it is very difficult to get setup. Down in Houston, I did use it on 2m and 440mhz, but no memory operation; now in the Hartford, CT area, it is being used for Police, Fire and EMS frequencies. I find that going and trying to add some ham repeaters, is just too much trouble. So, for the rest of the life of this radio, it will just function as a scanner, for services that we are involved with.

W5HLP Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rugged Dual-Band  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently switched vehicles and just got my 7800 reinstalled after about 6 months of downtime. I have had the rig for more that 5 years and I am still impressed every time I use it; so much so that I thought I should add a review here.
The 7800R (and the subsequent 7900R which I have used on occasion) are solid rigs that do exactly what I want - transmit a solid clean signal and receive well in tough situations. The menu system is typical - it will take you a couple of hours to get comfortable with it - maybe a little longer if you have as much grey hair as me - but then you won't forget it. Even with the 6 months down time it all came back in five minutes.
This little guy always seems to put out a great signal - anecdotes don't mean a lot, but here is one anyway - with a mag mount on the roof, yesterday I worked through the KI5DX 70cm repeater in Paris TX from Greenville TX - about 48nm with full quieting. Obviously some tropo or other mode going on but still nice. Further I can regularly copy and key the Paris 2m repeaters from Greenville. For those unfamiliar with east Texas - the elevation diff in the two places could be measured with a short ruler.
All in all a solid rugged (survives my off road driving in cow pastures) easy to operate rig that will give years of performance.

I will agree with some previous reviewers on one negative item - you **WILL** need to use an external speaker or tie it in to vehicle's sound system (I do that with a blue tooth adapter); the internal speaker is just not loud enough.

KF5BFC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2014 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has a ton of features, but the menu is also intuitive so you don't pull your hair out trying to program it without the manual. I've owned mine for 4 years (always mobile) and it has never given me the slightest bit of trouble.

KK4ULE Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2014 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice simple dual bander  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Radio has a very nice display, decent horsepower (50/40 watts V/U), fair share of fancy features, and seems to be built fairly tough. It does have an auto fan on the back but it isn't bad. I've seen/heard worse. I wanted a single display for the mobile as I plan to use the rig on the fly and therefore didn't want to be messing with a lot. Display is really nice and bright for those bright daylight commutes and is easy enough to program quickly while in a parking lot. Yaesu's prices for the extension cables are just ignorant but worry not, about 3 dollars worth of wire & 6P6C (RJ12)connectors and make your own. While you are at it get a RJ12 coupler ($1.50) and extend your mic cord too! Overall it is a simple and effective rig with only 2 negatives IMHO - 1. Built-in speaker is a joke in a mobile, don't even bother trying without an external speaker unless your driving a max of 25mph with all windows up and no air on. 2. Mic feels/is cheap. It does the job but feels like I could just crush it accidentally if I ever keyed up while mad.

KE5TJT Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2014 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've now used this radio for 5 years without any issues whatsoever. I find programming it via the front buttons almost impossible so I just use the software which makes it ridiculously easy. As for the people saying this radio doesn't have rated power, I'm thinking they're doing it wrong. The rated wattage is ONLY AT 13.6-13.8V!!! Notice, a car battery at rest is NOT PUTTING OUT THIS MUCH!!! I tested my radio with the engine off and got 30 watts on high. I plugged in a battery charger which boosted the voltage to 13.6 and suddenly I got exactly 50 watts out. I got EXACTLY what was stated at each power level. I'm pretty sure people here are not checking it at rated voltage. You gotta follow ALL THE RULES when checking output voltage. My old antique VHF marine radio did the same thing, 14 watts on high with engine off. Engine on or battery charger plugged in, and I got 30 watts out!

KA4KOE Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2013 05:18 Send this review to a friend
OK, except....  Time owned: more than 12 months
...for the microphone cord. Yaesu insists on putting this cheapo microphone cord on their products. The cord is a piece of junk. The cord is good for 2-3 years and then it falls apart. Other than that, its a great radio.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2013 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Steady as a rock  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a reliable, easy to use radio. It was a demo, so I needed to wipe memories and add my preferences. It would be great to have a quick guide (like wiping and adding memories), but this is my only niggle.

WP4OEK Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2013 09:53 Send this review to a friend
Great !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio, nice audio, clean TX. Only reason, display is too small.

K7UA Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2013 12:54 Send this review to a friend
Good dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these for my 4X4 truck at AES in Las Vegas. They recommended it over the other comparable units, especially since the remote cable was included at that time and Icom wanted a fortune for theirs. It has been shaken up on alot of dirt roads in that truck. I have no complaints except for some intermod from near by commercial users. Setting the tone squelch used by most of our local repeaters took care of that. I don't know what the new 7900 has over the 7800, but the 7800 is a good radio.