Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7800R
Yaesu FT-7800R Reviews: 205 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: Dualband mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

ON3RT Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for buck ! This dual-band mobile rig is a keeper !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During my travels I make a mental note of rigs that I've seen the locals use. You see plenty of these rigs in tropical countries. If a transceiver makes it through tropical temperatures, high humidity and omnipresent dust then it points to good components, intelligent design and superior build quality. The YAESU FT-7800 and it's successor the FT-7900 are the TOYOTA COROLLA of dual-band mobile radios.

As a member of the Belgian Red-Cross EmComm Response Unit I required a rugged and simple to operate VHF/UHF transceiver. I discounted the need for cross-band repeat and D-Star functionalities. I wanted a transceiver that is intuitive to configure manually.

With CHIRP - a free, open-source tool for programming amateur radio rigs (including the FT-7800) - my rig's memories banks can be easily updated, sorted by scan categories and archived. Rig re-configuration and customisation as well as adding, modifying and deleting data contained in the 1000 memories becomes kid's play. I had my frequently used repeaters/transponders and simplex frequencies loaded into the unit's memory banks in under an hour.

Likes :
+ Easy to read orange LCD display
+ Detachable facade
+ Cooling fan
+ Die-cast heat-sink
+ Easy to homebuild remoting cable ("6P4C" 6-pin connectors crimped onto either RJ-11 or RJ-12 cable)

To conclude, the YAESU FT-7800 is the most reviewed VHF/UHF Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) on EHAM. Check out how it compares with other similar rigs at http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/38

Best 73s !!!

Ravi / ON3RT

OM = "RAVI"
QTH = Brussels (Grid Square Locator JO20FU)
Website = http://www.qrz.com/db/ON3RT
Member of Radio-Club UBA Brussels-East ON5UB

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 11:25 Send this review to a friend
hold power button for few seconds  Time owned: more than 12 months
for the last operator that commented on the rig not powering up, just a quick word. Hold the power button for a few seconds. If that is any help,or take it in to get looked at because its a great rig.....

KC9CVW Rating: 1/5 Dec 30, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
YUCK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio about 2 or 3 years ago and only used it a few times with a magnet mount antenna. Now my interest in ham has received a shot of enthusiasm, so I (tried) to power the radio up. Literally, the radio has been sitting in a padded bag for 2-3 years.

So far, its been 2 weeks and I can't get the thing to work. I've replaced the power cord and fuses, checked and replaced the 6 connector cable.

I can hear the radio pop on for a second, and the mike will light up but it wont stay working.

My Vertex 150 also has been back to the shop 2 or three times for repairs. Not from over use I tell you. I've spent a few hours over 3 years on the air.

I will never buy Yaesu again. I will never recommend Yaesu. The radio doesn't have a scratch or blemish on it. Its like brand new and it fails to work.

My friend lent me his "to hell and back ICOM" and despite the fact that it looks like it went through Season 2 of "24" , it works flawlessly.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 21:46 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine hooked up to a little 3 element VHF only cushcraft yagi at the QTH with the seperation kit and then also in the mobile to a Diamond SG 7500 super gainer and i tell you this radio performs really well regardless where. just a really basic rugged rig thats easy to use. Great little radio for sure. 73

KD0JWY Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Favorite Dual Band Mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is KD0JWY. The Yaesu FT-7800R is a great dual band Mobile rig. It's ruggade, easy to program, easy screen to read and it's great that the buttons light up at night. I also use it for a mobile/base rig, use it for VHF/UHF and also use it work portable on the Amateur Radio Satellites. Great radio, and I still use it today. 73's from KD0JWY

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased it in 2007, resonably priced. I use it as a base with a SSB5 comet Ant.It sounds great, good audio.I can hit all repeaters in my area in low pwr, a few at hi pwr. Tx pwr is lower than spec'd on both bands as noted in other reviews here but fine for me w/the gain ant. 3 and 6 db respectfuly so that's 80 wats erp VHF and 75 wats erp UHF. Only complaint is fan always coming on, not needed at low pwr.

W4IW Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2010 17:03 Send this review to a friend
A Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my FT-7800R for more than 4 years and have had nothing but pleasure from it. With a good antenna mounted properly this radio will smoke. I have people comment all the time about the sound and power of this radio. My first Yaesu, but not my last.

PA2RUS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio for mobile use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Running the FT-8800 in my car for over 24 months now. Very easy to use radio. Great sound quality.

Only downside is the programming of the memory channels. This is very hard to do via the display of the radio. With the purchase of a third party cable and third party software this programming is very easy!

Excellent radio, value for money!

VY73
Martin - PA2RUS

N3OQD Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2010 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this set for about four years now. It does do well and have had no problems but I do have one issue. The radio is advertised as 50w VHF and 40w UHF. As some others in previous reviews have measured on their radios, I too have this typical reduced outputs of 40w VHF and 25w UHF. This reading with a 50amp 13.8v regulated supply and transmitting into a non inductive 50 ohm dummy load. I now have a Kenwood dual bander with cross band repeat that puts out exactly as it is advertised using the same meter. 50w on both UHF and VHF. So my meter is fine.

N8LFP Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig in my car for just over two years now with no complaints. Always get great reports on the audio. Recently programed some of the satellites into memories and have had a blast working some of the LEO FM birds while mobile. I have had several mobile rigs over the years and this one is as good as it gets for a duel band rig. The only feature missing is the cross band but the price difference was not worth it for me personally.

Great little rig, highly recommend!