Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7800R
Yaesu FT-7800R Reviews: 201 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: Dualband mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

KD0JWY Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2011 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Favorite Dual Band Mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is KD0JWY. The Yaesu FT-7800R is a great dual band Mobile rig. It's ruggade, easy to program, easy screen to read and it's great that the buttons light up at night. I also use it for a mobile/base rig, use it for VHF/UHF and also use it work portable on the Amateur Radio Satellites. Great radio, and I still use it today. 73's from KD0JWY

WB6ZRP Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased it in 2007, resonably priced. I use it as a base with a SSB5 comet Ant.It sounds great, good audio.I can hit all repeaters in my area in low pwr, a few at hi pwr. Tx pwr is lower than spec'd on both bands as noted in other reviews here but fine for me w/the gain ant. 3 and 6 db respectfuly so that's 80 wats erp VHF and 75 wats erp UHF. Only complaint is fan always coming on, not needed at low pwr.

W4IW Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2010 17:03 Send this review to a friend
A Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my FT-7800R for more than 4 years and have had nothing but pleasure from it. With a good antenna mounted properly this radio will smoke. I have people comment all the time about the sound and power of this radio. My first Yaesu, but not my last.

PA2RUS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 06:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio for mobile use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Running the FT-8800 in my car for over 24 months now. Very easy to use radio. Great sound quality.

Only downside is the programming of the memory channels. This is very hard to do via the display of the radio. With the purchase of a third party cable and third party software this programming is very easy!

Excellent radio, value for money!

VY73
Martin - PA2RUS

N3OQD Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2010 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this set for about four years now. It does do well and have had no problems but I do have one issue. The radio is advertised as 50w VHF and 40w UHF. As some others in previous reviews have measured on their radios, I too have this typical reduced outputs of 40w VHF and 25w UHF. This reading with a 50amp 13.8v regulated supply and transmitting into a non inductive 50 ohm dummy load. I now have a Kenwood dual bander with cross band repeat that puts out exactly as it is advertised using the same meter. 50w on both UHF and VHF. So my meter is fine.

N8LFP Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2010 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rig in my car for just over two years now with no complaints. Always get great reports on the audio. Recently programed some of the satellites into memories and have had a blast working some of the LEO FM birds while mobile. I have had several mobile rigs over the years and this one is as good as it gets for a duel band rig. The only feature missing is the cross band but the price difference was not worth it for me personally.

Great little rig, highly recommend!

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Dual Bander  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought used from local Ham (now SK). Good transmit audio, great receive, features, etc. If you don't care about/need cross band/dual receive this is a well priced, small, quality rig you should look at...Bought a FT7900 for shack.. couldn't find another FT7800 .. but like the 7900 equally as well...

M0RJC Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2009 00:40 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use, effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this in the car and love it. It's effective and quite easy to use. I like the backlit buttons and the reasonable size controls that I can reach and operate without having to look. The buttons on top of the mic to tune or search are also useful because you can just grab hold of the mic and easily find them.

I'm replacing it now with an 8900 for RAYNET use and am reluctant to let it go. The 8900 seems fiddly in comparison with small controls. Maybe I'll get used to them.

Where I've wanted to monitor more than one frequency the PRIority mode on the 7800 has worked fine. The 7800 doesn't have dual listen or cross band repeat or 6m, but for 2m and 70cm work it's a great radio. I expect I'll run the 8900 on 2m or 70cm most of the time, and with the second side turned off most of the time.

K7MHI Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2009 16:38 Send this review to a friend
work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
my first ever real radio, I beat up on this thing all the years I had no idea what I was up to. Jammed a lot of bad antennas and coax on this, still works. nothing fancy. just a radio. just works.

AE6PN Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Good for mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like FT-7800R, because I can use cheap 6 conductor telephone cable with RJ12 ( 6 pin version of RJ11 ) to make separation cable, and microphone plug into display units rather than main units like many other radio do.
receive air band, upto 512MHz , it has mini-DIN 6 connector for packet, etc.