Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-7800R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-7800R
Yaesu FT-7800R Reviews: 204 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $329.00
Description: Dualband mobile

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-7800R.

VK7HAR Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great audio, no intermod/pager problems, small size, good pwr output, useful wideband Rx and a manual that does make sence (I had to read it a few times first)
First rate gear, Yaesu will make money and repeat business from this one

KG4WLP Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2004 17:25 Send this review to a friend
A few minor gripes.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this unit for about 6 weeks and am very pleased with it so far. Good Rx & Tx audio. Great display. Good Rx sensitivity with no intermod yet. Haven't figured out all the bells & whistles yet, but it can do everything you need it to. Minor gripes: 1) The coiled cord is so stiff it might stress the jack (very minor).
2) The tuning dial is jumpy. One click and it will move forward 1 or maybe skip & move forward 2 channels (not really too irritating).
Scan is fairly fast at about 12 memories per second. I would give it just under a 5 so I leave the rating at "5". You won't be disapointed with this unit. I like it better than my FT-1500.

KC2LLW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2004 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Great radio easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own a FT-7100 and love my FT-7800 easy to program powerful very clear audio what can I say I think I will run to the candy store and buy one for my wife's car too!!

W8OB Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2004 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Surprising rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one nice rig. Plenty of power and one hot receiver intermod no problem here. I use this as a scanner for the public service bands also and am impressed with how great this thing hears. Fan noise no problem and at last a wide range receiver that isn't deaf on 800 mhz rx. Yaesu got it right on this one

N1NYP Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2004 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Surprised but happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To start with, I have never been a Yaesu fan. I have owned a few and have always had some problem with them or found them to be extremely difficult to program against the Icoms and Kenwoods..an FT-5100 went back to Yaesu 3 times....anyway I could not pass this one up after reading reviews and talking to some current owners and staff at the local radio store.
My first impression was that I could actually program it after about 30 seconds with the manual. Very simple...I thought I had bought the wrong radio, but it really was a Yaesu...anyway the memory banks are great, the functions are more than adequate and keep the radio simple to organize.
The front panel and mike keys are logical and cover the most used functions and the reception reports have been great..Wide receive(including 800mhz) actually work very well. No intermod problems so far. Tone and tone squelch(ctcss and dcs) work well. The separation kit is overpriced and you can use straight through 6 connector phone cable(a little hard to find) or make your own and use a little velcro to attach the head remotely. The mike attaches to the head so no need for a mike extension.

No it's not an 8800 or an 8900, but for a simple, straightforward mobile, you can't do better. So far it appears Yaesu really got this one right..have only had for a short time so cannot give it a 5 yet, but it probably deserves it. What more could you want in a dual band mobile for under $300...

VK7HDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2004 22:01 Send this review to a friend
value for the dollar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have just passed my VK licence here in Australia and I was looking for a 2M and 70 cm rig. And the Yaesu FT-7800/R had all the features for a newbie operator would need for a basic set-up into the wide wonderful world of Amateur radio. 1000 Ch memory, remote head, DTMF, good warranty & wideband recive 108 to 999 MHz.

Yeah.. it doesn't have SSB or 6M output but its got one BIG thing going for it.
"Value for money"

73 Karl
VK7HDX

KR3DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2004 00:34 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for a dual band mobile for several months, when I saw that the 7800 had a memory system similar to the VX-2R, I decided to give it a try. I was a little worried buying a Yaesu, the problems with the FT-90 and the 7100M came to mind. But the 8800 and 8900 seemed to be OK, so I decided to take a chance. I've had the 7800 for 2 weeks now and I've left it on for 24 hours on several occasions, I've run it in the shack and in the mobile. Transmitting on full output it does get warm after several 2 minute transmissions, but not thermonuclear hot like the FT-90. 20 watt transmissions result in a moderately warm heat sink. I think this rig will last quite a while with normal use. The receiver seems very sensitive (I just read the review in the April QST which seems to confirm this) and the intermod performance seems quite good, on a par with my Motorola and GE mobile rigs (listening on the same frequency, using the same antenna on the same car). All of the features and functions work well, the receive audio is good (might require an external speaker for really noisy mobile environments) and I've got good comments on the transmit audio quality. With 1000 memories, the programming can be quite tedious, so I've ordered the software and cable from RT Systems so I can use my computer to program the rig. With 20 banks to assign the 1000 memories to, this rig will make a great VHF high band - UHF scanner. If I encounter any problems with my 7800, I will post them here. Until then, this rig gets a good recommendation.

Denny

YC1EES Rating: 3/5 Mar 2, 2004 23:43 Send this review to a friend
Suddenly gone off  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the rig 3 days ago. The buttons look nice with the right size and easy operated...(even too soft). But last night while transmiting on 2m the rig just gone off, leaving a " tuck..tuck.." sound. Trying to do a reset with no success. So for the moment I'll give it a 3 rating. Will be back to the shop today. Anyone with the same experience or any solution??

YC1EES

BD4AAF Rating: 5/5 Jan 30, 2004 02:14 Send this review to a friend
good transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ft-7800 is a good transceiver with low price. Although it cant work in 2 frequencies like Ft-8800 and Ft-8900 but it bring us a low price and practical function . It works great in ham band 144/430MHz with high power, good sensitivity and selectivity. On the business band 46x MHz it also have good sensitivity but the power output get low. My transceiver can only transmit between 420-470MHz in UHF Band.

Ft-7800s tuning control knob is quite good, it like some short wave transceiver . It feels great. It is easy to fast tuning. Ft-7800 can widely receive from 118 to 999MHz(communication band), its very interesting and useful. It has 1000 memories, we can easy manage useful frequency in different group. Ft-7800 has 4 power levels with auto-control fans. It fits many conditions. User define key is also very useful.

K9XYZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2004 20:22 Send this review to a friend
NICE RIG!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had an FT-8900 in the mobile but never did use the 10M and barley used 6m. I did not like the small knobs on the 8900 or the fact that all those memories had no banks or management system at all. I considered the 8800 but it is basically the same radio that the 8900 is without 10m or 6m. They did add memory banks and a few other things, but the same small knobs with the volume and squelch on the same knob, I hate that!!
Along comes the FT-7800. I never use cross band repeat if I need to my base rigs do that.
The 7800 is one great dual band mobile rig. Features galore, 1000 memories, 20 memory banks that can be linked together, weather frequencies preprogramed with weather alert function. The keys are back lit and the display is one of the nicest I've seen, easy to view from any angle, with very large characters. The brightness on the display is also very nice, with a 4 stage dimmer. Love the seperate volume and squelch knobs, and the tuning knob has a nice feel and is a good size. All the knobs and keys etc., have a good feel. The rig itself is not lrage but feels solid. Good audio both receive and transmit. I use an external speaker in the suv just the small clear tone MFJ and it sounds excellent. Always liked the mobile mics on the Yaesu rigs with the back lit keys.
Nice scanning speed, wide range receiver.
I bought the YSK-7800(yes these seperation kits are over priced) but this one is excellent. The face "snaps" very securely into the face plate and is easily removed by pushing the button on the side of the face of the rig. Very nice feel in the face plate, snug and doesn't move at all(never could stand cheesy looking velcro for holding something like a rig). Like the fact that like the other two rigs I mentioned the mic plug is on the face plate(makes for easier remote mounting). I had looked at the ICOM 208H, but the mic plug is on the rig not the remotable face plate(why??).
Any way for the price this rig is going for($264.97 at R & L) nothing else on the current market can touch it for a good dual band rig!