Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Spiderbeam Help

Reviews Summary for Spiderbeam
Spiderbeam Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $300
Description: The spider beam is a full size lightweight tribander yagi for 20/15/10m, made of fiberglass and wire. While the antenna is as light as a mini beam it maintains the gain and F/B ratio of a typical full size tribander. The whole antenna weight is only 5.5kg (11 lbs) making it ideally suited for portable use. It can be carried and installed easily by a single person.
More info: http://www.spiderbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Spiderbeam.

N2NL Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2013 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Spiderbeam HD 5 Band  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 5-band HD version of the Spiderbeam back in 2010 when I received transfer orders to Guam. I wanted a reliable light weight (low wind loading) antenna with as close to full size performance as possible.

I installed the antenna at 40ft upon arrival to Guam. First time assembly takes time - I did it over a week to make sure I did not rush and make mistakes. The measurements in the instructions were exact - no tuning required - remarkable for a 5-band antenna.

In 3+ years I have made more than 60K QSOs with this antenna and have broken several continental (Oceania) contest records. The antenna has been up in the tropical weather (13 degrees north latitude) with zero failures, and very little evidence of UV damage except to some small areas of clear coat on the fiberglass spreaders. The antenna has seen winds up to 60mph. Lots of flexing but zero failures.

The antenna works as advertized, with good F/B and decent gain.

If you are somewhat mechanically/electrically inclined (can follow instructions), then I highly recommend this antenna.

TA1HZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Not for 2 days of operation but once up it is great.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The first time I used a Spiderbeam was in TC0KLH, then in TC2ELH. The antenna was owned by TA2RX (see the review below). Although setup looked a little bit troublesome, I decided to get one (assemled, mny tnx to DL9USA) after my experience with wire antennas in ZA1TC and T5TC. I recieved mine (portable 5 bander)at Friedrichshafen and carried it easily back to TA. 11kg of hard cardboard box is not much of a problem. The first time antenna setup was %85 done by DL7BC when he was in TA2 for IARU HF. I just helped with the 15%. It worked very well although it was up only 6-6.5m. Second time we took it to TC0GI. With the help of TA1ED & TA1PB it was erected and fine results. Third time I got it assembled for TC2C in WAEDC CW as DL2JRM as the operator. He seems to be in the top three in class. Main problem setting as one person is quite tiring and somewhat a little bit hard. If you are going to use it for more than 3-4 days it is perfect as you get a rest the first day and 2-4 days you work for the perfect way it works on 20-10. For a 2 day op, you wont feel anything the first day, on the second day just as you heat up the game is over and disassembly is like a curse. Looks ideal for dxpeditions. Planning a trip to ZA at the end of Oct. and will see what I can get. (looking for DXCC on 20 and 15m from there )

SV1QOT Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 01:05 Send this review to a friend
Big Gun!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned Spiderbeam 5HD!!
Amazing antenna,where ever I turn it it shots.
Until now it survived 6-7 Beaufort.
I have put it up on my tower about 14 meters and
I turn it with yaesu rotator g-1000dxc and in compilation
With linear amplifier ACOM 1000 it's is a big big GUN.
Buy that antenna it worth the money.
Thanks Cornelius for the amazing antenna.

KENWOODUSER Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2013 14:19 Send this review to a friend
great performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Why the Spiderbeam?
My Spiderbeam experience began when I decided it was time for a directional HF antenna. I have had reasonable success with dipoles over the years but wanted to try something else. I spent quite a bit of time looking at the most popular sub-$1,000 dollar commercial beam antennas on the market, comparing gain, fb ratios, cost, size, weight, etc. I arranged the data so I could easily look at it side-by-side. In short, the Spiderbeam had to be considered due to many factors. It scored highly in all categories. The final deciding factor for me was that I deducted that the YL and neighbors would probably rather see a Spiderbeam in the air than a hex beam, which is what I originally planned on building. I've only heard from one of the neighbors but he said it was "cool."

Antenna Performance:
I haven't yet performed any fancy analysis on the antenna but SWR on each band is <1.5:1. There is a noticeable fb ratio and an obvious side rejection.

Due to very limited time (maybe a few minutes here and there per day or in a week), I have not raised the antenna higher than 25ft or used an analyzer on the antenna. Since putting up the antenna early last year, and while operating casually maybe an hour or two per week, it has given me more than enough entities for DXCC. It breaks pileups and also generates incoming pileups as well and I have never used an amplifier with it. The vast majority of my short-path contacts are between 5-7,000 miles away and most are easy copy.

This beam is a point and shoot antenna. There is no comparison between this antenna and the dipole I used to use. In fact, it's such a good antenna that I don't ever want to use another plain-old dipole again. It is a wonderful electrical design.

Instruction/Construction Manual:
The Spiderbeam guide is very detailed and is not something to gloss over. I absorbed the technical manual after having carefully studied it many times. I converted all of the applicable units of measure myself only to later discover the US-version where the conversions were already made (ask Rick for the US-version!). Oh well, my conversions were verified after I compared manuals. The manuals are very detailed and provide all of the necessary information to successfully build the antenna. However, some may find them difficult to read and understand, especially the way they are organized, which requires you to flip back and forth to various tables of information. It is my understanding that Rick and team are working on revisions, which may address some of these issues. All information, manuals, etc. are available at the spiderbeam.us web site.

After building the antenna, I ended up condensing the most important information down to about 3 or 4 pages, and if I had to build another, I could do it in less than half the time. It was far easier for me to look at important tables and data on the same page.

Support Team:
DF4SA (Con) created the antenna and DJ0IP (Rick) sells and provides support for the commercial kit versions here in the US. My experience is that both will go out of their way to help you in all aspects of this antenna. Rick has proven to be nearly always available, which service is something you may not find with some other antenna manufacturers. Follow their advice and you will be happy with the antenna. There is also a healthy following for this antenna at Yahoo Groups.

I strongly recommend buying the kit version along with the kit assembly service (preassembled wire sets). This is much easier than building yourself and the the cost is very reasonable. You'll get an antenna that performs as advertised and you'll be happy with it. If you build the kit yourself, there is a tremendous amount of measuring, knot-tying, tensioning, retensioning, learning from your mistakes, etc., but if you buy a kit, it will plug and play perfectly.

Durability:
I have seen concern expressed that this antenna may have issues in icy/windy conditions. I posed similar questions myself initially. My QTH is in 7-land (wind/snow/UV) and I have discovered that this antenna performs brilliantly in these conditions. Mine has endured many spring storms of sustained winds of over 50mph. This antenna is balanced and handles the wind very well. It is light, strong, and flexible in the wind. However, if there is any doubt, one can easily add more guy rope. In fact, a little extra guying here and there has made all the difference in my situation.

Maintenance:
If you get the kit and follow the instructions exactly, you shouldn't have many issues. In order of importance, precise measuring, good knot tying, and proper tensioning are the most critical factors, in my opinion.

Other:
There are many other things to say about this antenna as well, such as size, weight, turning radius, dBd, mast/rotor support structure, etc., but it's easiest to just categorize all of this information and compare it side-by-side with other antennas rather than discussing it here. I did just that and the Spiderbeam emerged at or near the top of most categories I considered.

Overall:
I would recommend the commercial Spiderbeam antenna kit to anyone who is able to properly assemble and install one and who is looking for a cost-effective, high-performance, HF wire beam. My overall experience with Spiderbeam has been more than favorable. Cheers to Con and Rick.

9U4U Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2013 02:25 Send this review to a friend
great hardware  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the successful 9U4U DXpedition we used several Spiderbeam poles.
The 26m version for 160m, the 20m version for 80m, 2 poles for the 30m and reflector, all carbon.
3 Aluminum masts were used to lift the Hexbeams in the air.
One day we had a tropical storm, the 27m pole which was supported on 2 levels swinged back and forward but withstood all
this violence. The 18m pole, which was supported on 1 level, swinged even harder, the top nearly hit the ground.
We were afraid to lose it, but the hardware is so well made and durable that after the storm all came back to its original
position.
The severe storm snapped one of the aluminum poles, by removing the single element, the pole was usable for the rest of the
DXpedition. Afterwards we replaced the broken pipe, great customer service!

TANAKASAN Rating: 0/5 Feb 1, 2013 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Not Fit For Purpose  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, so I posted my original review at the end of October. Since then the Spiderbeam had been trying to survive the Winter weather here and it's fallen apart. The wreckage of the beam is going to have to wait until the Spring when we can go back on the roof and until then we are at risk of falling parts.

This antenna may be suitable for a weekend trip but as a permanent antenna it is NOT fit for purpose.

Tanakasan

WASVE7BDJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Under Appreciated / Overly Criticized  Time owned: more than 12 months
I’ve had a SpiderBeam (5 band, HD version) for more than 2 years, and have some observations to contribute. I will also pass along some observations and information that are not my own, but comes by way of other SpiderMen who have special expertise with these antennas.

The Spider Beam is a multi band (3, or 5 band) yagi using full-sized, trap-less elements of insulated wire. It boasts 4 elements on 10m, 3 elements on 15m and 20m, and 2 elements on 12m and 17m. It is worth pointing out that, unlike most multi-band yagis, this is really 5 (or 3, depending) interlaced mono-banders on a single structure.

It is light weight (20-ish lbs for the HD version), making it ideal for mounting on (relatively) convenient, inexpensive structures (e.g., telescopic masts), and rotatable using inexpensive, lighter-weight rotors. Mine is mounted on a 30’ SpiderMast upon my roof top (16’), with the rotor at the bottom that turns the whole assembly – mast and antenna at once. It’s an inexpensive, tidy-looking installation relative to a tower!

Light, strong, and flexible – the antenna was a cinch getting onto the roof. My friend lifted it into a vertical position, and handed it to me from the ground so I could pull it up in less than 1 minute! Getting it atop the mast, and then extending it section by section using a gin pole took another hour or so (not including preparing the roof with eye-bolts for guying).

In the yagi business, there is an epidemic of “gain creep” in the promotional product documentation. SpiderBeam has taken pains not to do this. Or at least they claim so, and I believe them, based on many conversations with a physicist-friend who has done extensive independent computer modeling work on the antenna. Also, once again, think about that element spacing; with interlaced mono-banders, spacing can be better optimized for each band, rather than a mash-up compromise for all bands, the way many tri-banders are designed.

On air, I can only compare the SpiderBeam with my Butternut vertical, which is well installed over a good radial field. The SpiderBeam typically exhibits a 5 to 8 S-Unit advantage. On two occasions, a DX station was equally strong on both antennas. After last weekend, I now realize the likely explanation – Long Path! The Butternut, I have discovered, receives just like the SpiderBeam—off the back side! The beam was “looking” the wrong way.

The SpiderBeam takes the full legal output of my Drake L7 linear, and neither complains nor glows in the dark! I am not much for DX dogpiles, but sometimes just for the sake of bragging to my friends . . . . Usually I can crack a pile up in the first few tries.

One advantage of insulated wire antennas not noted in these reviews is that they are quieter relative to uninsulated wire or bare aluminum. Reportedly the antennas are less susceptible to QRN such as from static, and at least one Spider Forum member reports extensive first hand experience confirming the observation.

There are many complaints about the manual by SpiderBuilders, mostly focusing on the need to flip back and forth. Many assert it MUST be re-written. No one has identified that the manual is a very clear and obvious organizing principle, and while care must be taken building, the manual’s organization makes sense. This manual is a 36-page, 5 by 8” booklet, yet gives complete (contrary to some) information for 8 different versions of the antenna. It would be repetitious in the extreme to provide full A to Z instructions for all these versions. One solution is 8 different manuals, however, something important would be lost. This antenna has its roots firmly planted in the DIY tradition, and the manual explicitly encourages experimentation. Come the next sunspot ebb, I may wish to re-configure my SpiderBeam into another of the 4 heavy duty versions provided for.

So while the manual makes sense, no one can disagree it takes more care and attention than a paint-by-numbers project when using it to build the antenna. I might have liked some more photos, and with better resolution. Here, however, it is worth emphasizing the Yahoo Groups SpiderBeam forum. Helpful, friendly advice on any aspect of the antenna is readily available, often within minutes, day or night, on this truly international forum. SpiderBeam representatives are very active on the forum, or by email. Customer service, it is fair say, is exceptional.

Building the “kit” version saves a bit of money, but purchasing the version that pre-makes all the bits you’d have to measure and cut is probably well worth it. Mine was originally a kit, purchased from another ham after he got about half way through the project. Some mistakes were made, some his and some mine. When you’re working with wire, though, the fix is easy and cheap!

In sum, the virtues of this antenna have not all been previously identified or sufficiently emphasized, while the problems, I think, have got too much air play. It is not an antenna for everyone. If one is easily frustrated, or is . . . blessed with a highly re-directable span of attention, assembly will be a challenge, but your efforts will be rewarded. If planning a permanent installation, get the HD version.

I hope this review contributes to the discussion of this delightful product.

73 de
Brenton Crowhurst, VE6IE

AE7AE Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2013 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Spiderbeam is great for DXpeditions!  Time owned: more than 12 months
We used the 5-band light-weight Spiderbeam on 3 DXpeditions (2010-11-12)
to 3D2A, 3D2P, T2T.
We managed over 60,000 QSO's with the spiderbeam only 7-10m high.
It really outperformed the aluminum yagi's we had on previous
DXpeditions (3D2A-3D2EE-VI9NI)
At first it was very confusing to assemble (English mind trying to
understand German logic), but, we finally got the hang of it!
It has been assembled/disassembled/reassembled 5 times and the only
problem was a crack in one of the lightweight spreaders.
Plus all the shipping handling... We are very happy users and will
continue to use it on future DXpeditions by the Pacific DXers.
For temporary use, we never used the lower guys.
I will agree that you must have 7x7m of clear level space to erect it if
possible!
We found that the easiest and fastest erection method was to assemble it
at the 5' height level, then simply push up and lock the mast sections
to the height needed.
We rotate it with a $25 second-hand Alliance/CDR TV antenna rotator.
Yes it flops about in the wind, but we are glad that it does...otherwise
the spreaders might snap if it was too stiff!

TA2RX Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2012 20:33 Send this review to a friend
SpiderBeam Antenna: The untold story  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna is everything advertised: It is a yagi. It is multiband. It is lightweight. It is portable. It works FB. You get excellent reports. etc. etc. BUT there is more. Here is my full story:

After reading all the comments about the antenna, I bought the five band version at the HamFest @ Friedrichshafen. Taking it to our nearest dxpedition I was faced with several surprises. The first was that the manual was totally in German and I do not speak a single word of it. When I corresponded with the company afterwards, they told me it was because it was sold it Germany and apologized for forgetting to warn me in the crowded atmosphere of the fair. I downloaded the English version of it from their website afterwards. Fair enough.

My next surprise was that there was one spool of wire, one spool of Kevlar fibre and one spool of monofilament guy line (like those used for fishing), besides the tubes, etc. Now, I might be wrong in this but to consider something like this as a kit, I would have expected the wires, etc. to be precut to the size specified. To me, getting a whole spool(s) and afterwards struggling to cut pieces to the exact specs, sounds like going to a large wholesale shop (and paying retail prices) to buy the parts for your antenna project.

Anyway, looking at the pictures I managed to assemble the centre piece that holds the tubes together in a cross. When I read the documentation in English, afterwards at home, I saw that for mounting the sleeves (little aluminum tubes that the bolts go through) they have suggested using a piece of cardboard. However, before being able to read the manual in English I thought that was some piece of metal provided by the company and had to look for it over and over again. When I finally decided it must be something I have to make, I used a piece of hard wire instead. I bent one of its edges in to a U shape and squeezed it after wrapping it on to the sleeve. This way it would hold the sleeve properly under the whole, rather than just pushing it forward. I suggested this method, together with some photos, to the company. They might add it to the future versions of the documentation.

Now, once I went over the manual thoroughly, I started the preassembly process. I have to warn you this is something VERY time consuming and VERY tiring. It definitely takes AT LEAST a few days to prepare the parts. So, if you intend to use it portable, like me, get your parts ready well in advance. It is not something you can assemble and put up on the dx spot straight away.

In getting the kevlar to go through the tiny holes, I had exactly the same problems VO1AU mentions. So I asked the company if there was an easy way of doing this and they immediately sent me a saparate documentation on how to do this properly. At this point I have got two comments to make: First, the support is incredibly fast and friendly. I haven't seen such service anywhere else, and this is no exageration. Second, the document they have sent me should have been included in the standard documentation at the beginning.

As many others have already pointed out, the documentation needs a lot of revising. Something that have not been mentioned by others is that, the spooling order on p.12 misses the additional bands for the 5 bander and I could not find any such info in other parts of the doc. either. Until I started assembling the antenna I did not know which element should go on the spool in which order, to make life easier during actual assembly. For those who are wondering, you start the assembly by the innermost elements and go one by one towards the outer ones. So, spooling is in reverse order. You start with the outermost element, leaving the innermost element on the exterior of the spool.

For the actual fabrication, my friend, who suggested SpiderBeam in the first place told me he had read it takes 4 hours to do the preparations. That is nonsense. It took me 3 to 4 days to finish it as a solo job. (And I am someone who is good in such things.) The part that took the longest time is measuring and cutting the wires, the monofil guys and the Kevlar to the exact specs. I needed to measure every item at least 3 or 4 times to make sure it is exactly as specified because according to the documentation "even 1 cm makes a big difference". (I am someone who reads and takes documentation seriously.)

Worse, in adjusting the lengths of the guys, you need to measure them over and over again. Now, you might wonder what the big deal is. There are 5 reflectors, 4 directors, 5 driven elements (the one for 15m is in 2 pieces), two guy lines for each of these elements and 5 feed lines. That makes a total of 50 LONG items to measure PRECISELY. First, you'll need a spacious place to be able to do this (or a VERY understanding wife). Second, you'll need to be on foot while you measure all these lengths over and over again (about 150 measurements over all). If you are not someone young, energetic, capable of working on foot for long hours for a few days, you'll start feeling the pain in your feet very soon. The only thing you can do sitting down is to tie knots. And when I say tying knots, do not underestimate that either: You'll need to tie about 100 knots. Worse, many of these are to be tied on copper-steel mixture wire with the the help of a pair of pliers, while the ones on the guy lines need to be double knots. It DOES take time.

Once everything was cut and tied to precision, the next step was to get the boom ready. The documentation gives you exact measurements on where each velcro should be glued to. No problem. The problem starts once you finish doing this. Because one director and one reflector is supposed to be right at the ends of the tubes. However, when you do this you can not place the caps provided because the velcros are obstructing their way.

Worse, when you get to the actual assembly phase, you realize that documentation does not tell you clearly which element goes where and you are left with your imagination to figure out. On page 31 of the documentation there is a table that gives the distances of elements from the center but the drawing accompanying it gives the distances of elements in reference to each other. If you are assembling the antenna under hot oriental sun (42 degrees Celsius) like me, you do not realize the difference because you see only the last column of the table that has got similar figures on both.

The last column of the table gives the same distances for the drivers for 20m and 12m (40cm), and those for 17m and 10m (80cm). Of these, one of them is marked as minus, the other one as plus but you are expected to figure out which part is minus and which one is plus? I had to find these out by trial and error, too (and the only clue was the lengths of the feedlines, that were too short on one side).

The documentation is written as if to make you sorry you have not paid the extra 150 Euros and ordered the antenna preassembled. Knowing the order of the elements gives you a clue but in my case, when I reached the stage of assembling the driven elements I realized, one of them needed to go on the innermost velcro and I had already placed the 10m reflector there. This meant having to disassemble everything, readjust all lengths and assemble the antenna from scratch. Grrrr! Next time, I marked on the boom, where each element should be tied to.

Fortunately, once everything was in place, the SWRs looked allright. I raised the antenna to above 10m and it worked perfect. However, by the time I had managed all this, the IOTA contest, for which we went on to Kefken Island DXpedition, was over. Thank God we had other operators and simple, cheap, homemade wire antennas that worked FB. I worked a few DX for the lighthouse activity before disassembling the antenna for our next DXpedition to Karadeniz Eregli Oluce Lighthouse.

Unfortunately this is not the whole story. With everything ready and in working order, on our next DXpedition, the assembly was supposed to be straight forward, easy and fast. It was not! The ends of the boom and spreaders were supposed to be bent towards the top but they insisted on going sideways instead. This meant some of the elements were too tight while some others were to loose. Trying to straighten the fibre tubes and at the same time readjust the lengths of elements and guy lines was a nightmare. Once again, it took me several hours to do this. Fortunately we, again, had other operators to keep our station going on with simple, cheap, homemade wire antennas, while I was struggling with the SpiderBeam. Once everything was ready, it worked FB, as predicted and we got excellent reports again.

When the time came to pack and get ready to leave, disassemling the antenna took me 1 hour 45 minutes. Part of this was because the tubes were too stuck onto each other and we had to struggle quite a while to get them apart. I realized this was because the stopper rings on the tubes that would keep the next element from going too far onto the other got loose. The glue used was not strong enough and almost all of the stopper rings (17 out of 20, to be precise) moved away from where they were supposed to be. Back home, I used poliurethane sealent (of the type used in cars) to stick the stopper rings back onto their place.

Fortunately, this worked. On our next DXpedition to Inceburun lighthouse, all pieces stayed intact. I presume the problems I have faced with the tubes bending inwards were due to the stoppers moving away from their original place. This time rotating the tubes eased out any sign of tubes bending inwards. Of course I had to readjust all guy lengths once again. I was just hoping this would be the last time I was doing this. On our next DXpedition to Gerze lighthouse activity, I had to readjust a few guy lines again. This might be because the monofilament guy lines (fishing strings) might be getting extended under hot weather. Over all the assembly took three and a half hours (including raising the mast), and disassembly took one and a half hours.

Final words:

Going back to my comments on buying a kit, rather than buying it ready made: Buying a kit is just not worth it (unless someone is on a very tight budget). One should consider the cost of the preassembly when buying the antenna, and that would mean additional 150 Euros. The effort involved is just TOO MUCH. When you add the preassembly cost to the price of the antenna, that would make (for the 5 bander) 389+150= 539 Euros. Not a small amount. Would it be worth it? It depends on your expectations. I suggested the company to employ cheap labour, no matter how repelling that sounds, to bring the preassembly costs down. My optimum criteria for kit building, is that of Elecraft K3 (as opposed to K2 or other previous models), for those who are familiar with them.

Next: This antenna is NOT exactly suitable for short DXpeditions. If you are going to use it for at least a week or more, it might be worth the effort but if you are going on an activity that lasts for a weekend only, like we do most of the time, you have to think twice. The end result is good; we definitely doubled the number of QSOs we usually make, it was much easier to get over QSBs, etc. but I still spend a very long time in assembling the antenna each and every time. I was just hoping it would get shorter over time but the experience has helped me shorten the total period by 15 minutes only.

I was very happy with the precision engineering and workmanship on SpiderBeam's heavy duty aluminum mast. You can put it up within a matter of minutes and more importantly you can do this alone (although a second person makes life a lot easier), something I consider very important for a mast, but I have to admit I am a little disappointed with the 5 band wire yagi. You can still do it alone but it is certainly NOT as easy to put up as the mast. If I had known I would be struggling so much to prepare it and worse, each time I assemble the antenna, I am not sure if I would have bought it in the first place, at least not as a kit, for sure. Now that I have paid and already struggled so much, I just hope assembling it gets faster everytime.

G2JL Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2012 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Read the Book carefully  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my SB three years, now, and I'm well pleased with it. Of course, it hasn't 100 dB gain. Nor has it the 200 dB front-to-side ratio I really need when working UK & USA from my location in SV5. It does not correct my QSD, nor possess an XYL-QRM filter. But, it has as more gain, matching & general good design than it is reasonable to expect for the price and much more besides. The service & help from the company is superb. Epson, H-P & Micro$oft would need to spend multi-billions to match them.

True, the manual could be better; to start making the 5-band HD version (clearly a later evolution in the design history) one must flick back-&-forth through the manual quite a bit before being confident about cutting. My father used to tell me : "Measure twice, cut once" but the Old Proud Parent tended to ever-estimate my intellectual powers. I'd say : "Lurn two reed; read ten times; make a table; check it; - only then start cutting." Nevertheless, it's all actually there in the book. RTFM !

After the severest storm in living memory in my part of the Eastern Aegean in December 2010, the antenna was wrecked. With the approval of the company, I rebuilt it with extra guy-lines top and bottom, and it has survived since.

For a largely symmetrical structure, wind eddies and gusts generate astonishing torque, and I'd recommend drilling through the pole & passing a stout bolt through the hole thoughtfully provided in the boom-plate-to-mast clamp(s) - both clamps, if the mast be steel, like mine.

Since I'm 80 next birthday, I expect the thing to outlast me; If it doesn't (it is after all the worst earthquake zone in Europe) I'd buy another. If I can make it, so can you. It works !

[signed Mort - SV5/G2JL]