Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom 2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom 2AT
Icom 2AT Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 meter mini HT with 10 memories
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom 2AT.

WA9ENA Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2016 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig, rugged  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess owning and using a radio for 29 years is reason enough to write a review. I bought my u2AT at AES, Milwaukee, in 1987, when they were on Fond du Lac Ave.! I have the radio, HM-46L spkr-mic, several battery packs, and the rare, but very useful, DC-25 12VDC adapter (installs like a battery pack). I am trustee of a repeater and use the rig to monitor the machine daily. Its low output power is just right, as I am only a few miles from the machine.

Pro:
- Very rugged; it's been dropped a lot and still works fine
- Great audio, both xmit & rcv
- Wide frequency coverage
- Simple operation

Con:
- OEM rubber duckie is great dummy load - use an aftermarket antenna
- Simplex-duplex switch gets bad contacts; access is difficult for cleaning those contacts
- Location of CTCSS tone switches is a pain when you operate in a metro area where many different tones are used

This rig has worked well since Day 1, except that I had to send it back to Miles at the AES service department twice (under warranty) because the connecting lead between the RF final pc board and the BNC connector broke twice. It has been fine since the last fix.

I use it daily and run it most of the time on the DC-25 and a small power supply. Since rechargeable batteries go downhill quickly when not used a lot, I just have the original BP-22 pack that I rebuilt in 1999, and a BP-20 pack for 6 A cells. Either of those works fine when I need to take the HT with me. It is safe to say that this radio has many thousands of operating hours on it with no failures (except as noted).

So, get 'em while you can. They are a very good HT. Also, the HM-46L spkr-mic is excellent as well. Mine has lasted thru 29 years of heavy usage. BTW, I gave it a 4, rather than 5, because of the switch issues (both CTCSS and simplex-duplex). If you can find a DC-25, get it; well worth the effort and savings over fussing with battery recharges.

WA2ISE Rating: 4/5 Jul 28, 2015 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Easy user interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this HT for years. I like it for the very easy user interface (no menus or strange keystrokes to remember). You just push up or down a few buttons to increase or decrease the frequency.

I changed out the NiCad rechargable battery with a lithium-ion I pulled out of a camera, the voltage matched exactly. I use the camera charger to charge the battery.

I did have to do a repair on this radio on the DUP switch. Turns out one pin of the switch had never been soldered to the board.

KA8BYU Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
was a great radio when it came out, and still is most repeaters in the area i was in at the time in cleveland ohio all ran the same tone so placement of switches was not a problem, still have one of these and the micro 4at as well, they get daily use just found 2 of the battery cases brand new on e-bay waiting for them to arrive now plus have 3 bp-23's ans a bp-21 that anoyher ham rebuilt for me w/lith-ion cells

ON3RT Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2010 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for AX-25 packet radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom 2AT cost me peanuts at a ham-fest in France in the mid-1990s. I immediately pressed it into service as my primary AX-25 packet-radio transceiver.

With my home-brew HB9CV antenna, although I lived in the Alps, I rarely needed it to operate the Icom 2AT at full-power of 2 watts.

With the slow demise of packet-radio nodes, my Icom 2AT went into storage for many years. The last time I saw it it still worked ... but the display was dead.

I also had the external speaker-microphone till someone 'borrowed' it and I've not seen it again.

Great little radio the Icom 2AT !

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2009 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Great little (for the era) radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked one of these old rigs up from eBay for $10. It was listed as "needing a little help", etc. When the radio arrived, the battery pack was dead, it was dusty, etc.

So, a little cleaning, an 18 hour charge and a better performing antenna, and the $10 eBay special works just fine. I doubt the seller realized that the radio was still in such good shape.

What I like about this radio is that it covers 130-170 MHz without modification. While this is standard with new radios, it it pretty pathetic that my new FT-817ND doesn't even cover this full range.

Compared with the size of today's micro-HTs, it is still a bit on the large size, but compared with its much larger predecessor, the 2AT, it's small.

PROS: Size, 10 separate VFOs, inclusion of PL tones (again...standard these days).
CONS: Removing the pack to change said PL-tones, lack of a mid-range power setting (such as 300-500 mW).

Glad I found it. You gotta' love eBay!

AI4WM Rating: 4/5 Jul 7, 2008 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice reliable HT if you can find one  Time owned: more than 12 months
These HTs are getting difficult to find. However I have several I have used for years and they keep on working. When these were new they were considered a small HT, but compared to many of today's they are some what large. I gave it a 4 because it is a bit difficult to change the internal battery and one must remove the battery pack to change the CTSS tone. If the internal battery dies the memory channels will be lost when a battery pack is replaced. The stock rubber duck antenna works, but I recommend at least replacing it with a standard size rubber duck or the Icom FA-1443B antenna for much improved RX and TX.

One of mine has been dropped several times without damage except for a few dings and scratches in the case. When put on a frequency counter it is still right on.

Overall these are ruggedly built small units that will put out between 0.1 watts to nearly 3 watts depending on the power supply.

I like u2AT for the simplicity of them, no programming. The dis advantage to no programming is that you must switch for correct offset and simplex. However, if you need 1.25 M or 70 CM these are not for you since they only transmit on 2 meters.

Channel selection is easy by the selector switches and will store up to 10 channels. The Rx is from 130 MHz thru 170 MHz.

There are a variety of battery packs available for these, but they are getting difficult to find. I rebuild mine and I have some modified to use AA cells and some for N cells. I also modified the BP-21, which is normally supplied with the HT, for direct connection of 12 to 14 V.D.C. so I can use it with a cigarette lighter adapter or home made AA battery packs for long use during emergencies.
The battery packs are easily rebuilt with inserts available from several companies or they can be converted to use other batteries.

There are external microphones available and a fast charger. The standard BNC allows use of a 1/2 wave telescopic antenna or connection to an external antenna.

TX audio is clear and clean as well as the receive audio. I have never had a complaint while using one of these units.

The u2AT is usually available for $50.00 or less (sometimes more) and are well worth the price for a basic HT or a spare. If they cost much more than 50 without any extras you may be better off spending an additional 30 o 40 dollars for the V82 or its equal.

WL7CW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2005 00:51 Send this review to a friend
Tough Little Sucker  Time owned: more than 12 months
A friend GAVE me this radio because he thought it was broken. Well...the batteries were shot, and it seemed a wreck. But I opened the sucker up, wired the battery terminals to a cable that runs out the bottom of it! Now I use external 12V supply and it works great!

The BNC connector was loose too. So I re-soldered it (very easy!).

But...I have always had a problem with the offset. It's a manual switch on the back for either + or - , I finally figured out that IT had a bad solder job...so I gave it a little extra solder. SUCCESS! Now I can use the repeaters. (be careful, it's very tight to work with inside, and I'm no pro, but I did it.)

The moral of the story is...if you have one that you think is junk...open it up and start soldering stuff!

The other review is accurate too.

Cool little radio...good to have around.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2003 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Interesting "little" HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This HT was considered a mini HT when it came out, altough it is decent sized by today's standards. It is about the size of an Icom T2H, but is thinner. It seems to be kind of a combination of an Icom 2GAT and an Icom 02AT. It has the frequency changing scheme of the 2GAT. You have a toggle switch to change the MHZ, the 100 KHZ and the individual steps. It has the 10 memories of the 02AT. It has some very unique features also, though. For 1, you store the frequency in memory, but you have to use the offset switch on the back to change the offset. It doesn't store offsets in memory. Also, the memories are really tunable VFOs. There is no memory write button, or mem/vfo button. Whatever frequency you leave that memory on is what it remembers. IF you were on 146.520 when you were in memory 1, and you go to memory 2, when you come back to memory 1 it will be on 146.52. If you change the frequency then to .55, it will be on .55 when you come back to memory 1. This makes it very easy to store memories, and works great unless you need more than 10 memories.

This HT will do PL tones, but with 1 drawback-you change PL frequency with a set of dipswitches on the bottom of the HT. So, you cannot store PL tones in memory either.

The display is on top of this HT, so you can see what frequency you are on if you have it attached to your belt. The audio output is also quite good and I received excellent audio reports on transmit. Batteries are getting a little hard to find for this HT, but with the 2 watts out on high power I was able to work on most local repeaters.

This is kind of a rare HT to find today, but if you want a good simple HT and you find it at a decent price (I paid under $60 for mine) get it.