Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | International Radio Service Division Tuning Upgrader Help

Reviews Summary for International Radio Service Division Tuning Upgrader
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 1.0/5 MSRP: $55
Description: The Tuning Upgrader adds a new lower tuning speed for Kenwood and Yaesu radios. And it switches the tuning rate to the higher stock speed when you turn the tuning knob faster then approximately one turn per second.
More info: http://www.qth.com/irsd/

You can write your own review of the International Radio Service Division Tuning Upgrader.

PA1HR Rating: 1/5 Nov 1, 2003 03:23 Send this review to a friend
Not satisfied at all!  Time owned: more than 12 months

About a year ago I ordered the FT-1000 Tuning Upgrader at International Radio Service Division, Inc.

Please don't confuse IRSD with INRAD!! These are two very different companies.

When I received the Tuning Upgrader I was not pleased at all. A very ugly PCB, not professionaly built at all, and much too much solder has been used!!! What a mess!

After installing the Tuning Upgrader it did not work. I had to modify the modification by adding a capacitor...

When I power up my FT-1000 without turning the Main VFO A tuning knob a little bit the modes RTTY and PKT will not function!

When I power up my FT-1000 without turning the Main VFO A tuning knob a little bit my transmit frequency is about 500 Hz off frequency.

More strange things happen when I power up the rig without turning the tuning knob a bit!

I did write these things to IRSD. I was told that I had to 'reset' the Tuning Upgrader by turning the VFO knob a bit.

So you always have to 'reset' before it will properly work...

After doing the reset there is another annoying item: when I turn the VFO knob upwards the Tuning Upgrader makes one step of 10 Hz downwards, then returnes to the same frequency as before and then - finally - goes one step upwards. The same happens when I turn the Tuning Upgrader one step upwards: first it goes 10 Hz downwards, returns to the same frequency as before and then finally goes one step upwards.

After all I am not satisfied about this product!

The only positive is the Instruction Manual. Therefore I give this Tuning Upgrader a 1/5 instead of a 0/5.

I de-installed the Tuning Upgrader after one year of use.

I cannot recommend this Tuning Upgrader at all!