Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Morse Mania Help

Reviews Summary for Morse Mania
Morse Mania Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $20
Description: Morse code tutor for the Macintosh
More info: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/morsemania.html

You can write your own review of the Morse Mania.

VA7DH Rating: 4/5 Jan 8, 2011 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Decent Mac Morse Trainer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I noticed only a couple of reviews on Morse Mania, a commercial, for money, training package. I downloading the free trial version. One of the reviews had mentioned that this software did not allow for changes in pitch in that latest version. Apparently this has been fixed and so is now fairly complete. The software is from Black Cat Systems and cost of $19.99. Not bad. I expect I will get the paid up version for my Mac. Gradually moving my computing needs for day to day computing from PC to Macbook Pro.

KC2MBT Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Helped me pass Element 1  Time owned: more than 12 months
There aren't too many good programs out there for us "Macintosh Hams" but this one is a keeper. Not only did it significantly help me pass Element 1, I'm using Morse Mania to increase my CW copy speed (without embarrassing myself on the air - hi hi). I have nothing but praise for the program. (using Mac OS 9.0 version)

WH7EM Rating: 3/5 Nov 2, 2003 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Useful despite shortcomings  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Mac OS X version, later switched (for free) to the Mac OS 9 version because only that one allowed me to decide what frequency the CW tone would be. This feature, curiously, is lacking in the newer OS X version. Being able to learn at the same tone frequency as is used on most tests (1000 Hz) is said to make passing the test easier.

Like most users, I'm using this software in an effort to pass the CW licensing test. To that end, I was disappointed that the software compels me to learn punctuation marks and prosigns that won't be included in the test.

Those who plan to actually operate CW won't mind learning more than the minimum requirement, but those who merely want to pass the exam (possibly a majority these days) would just as soon not be subjected to stuff they don't need to learn.

In the interest of avoiding another code/no code flame fest, let me acknowledge that I'd love to be able to send CW because it is an indisputably useful amateur mode. However, I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists, so using a code key is out, in my case.

Other than those criticisms, I find this application very useful. It allows you to choose between learning straight, Farnsworth or Koch code. It allows you to learn to receive at any number of sending speeds. It allow you to learn individual letters and symbols, in as many or as few groups of four as you like, and it allows you to learn sample QSOs similar to those used in licensing tests.