Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Elmer Help

Reviews Summary for Elmer
Elmer Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Macintosh practice for written amateur exam
More info: http://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/elmer.html

You can write your own review of the Elmer.

NE1RD Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2004 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always been a nerd but was only able to get involved with ham radio recently (in my 40's). A good friend and former co-worker, who had tried to get me involved, a decade ago, gave me an overview of I needed to get started. I bought the pile of books and began reading.

I had a pretty good background in electrical engineering stuff but wondered "how can I assess what I know?" I stumbled across Elmer and never looked back.

Wanting to make up for lost time, I began studing for all three tests in the Summer of 2002. (Why wait?!) I must have taken dozens of practice tests through this software for each level Technician, General, and Extra. I wanted to be completely confident when I went for my exam.

In August, I made my way to a testing session and sat for the tests. I passed them all easily the first sitting. I credit Elmer with helping me get organized, getting prepared, and giving the confidence I needed.

Sure, there are free web-based exams, but I found the ability to work off-line, anytime, anywhere, very convenient. Plus, Elmer kept track of statistic of the kinds of questions I was missing, and that helped focus my studying.

It worked for me. It was worth the money. I got the Extra in one sitting (after some tense moments in the code test!) and I've already recommended the software to others.

If you want a nice piece of software to help you prepare for these exams, this is an excellent choice.