Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Cushcraft D40 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft D40
Cushcraft D40 Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $260.95
Description: Rotatable dipole, bandwidth 200kHz, SWR at resonance 1.5, 2000W
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft D40.

WB2VVV Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2015 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been using a center fed vertical dipole hung in a tall pine tree on 40m and thought it was a great antenna so I put off improving my 40m situation. Eventually I decided to experiment with a rotatable dipole up on my tower tucked in-between my 3 element Steppir beam and my 12 element 2 meter Tropo beam, but aligned with the booms of those beams to minimize interactions since they're all pretty closely stacked together. I really liked the idea of being able to null 40m noise off the ends of the dipole so I started considering all of the rotatable dipoles available.

I settled on the D40 because is was the most reasonably priced of the lot, and it was at least 2/3 the length of a full length dipole so as to not be too much of a compromise. I adjusted the section lengths exactly per the instructions for the upper CW resonance. I then installed the antenna all by myself and wiggled it into position between the two beams and connected up the coax, back down in the shack I was very happy to see a perfect resonance right where I had planned. In fact I had acceptable VSWR from the very bottom of the band up to just hitting 2:1 VSWR at 7.175 MHz. The VSWR was close to a perfect 1:1 at 7.080 MHz. I am impressed that the bandwidth is a little over 175 KHz!

Next I began comparing signals comparisons with what I though was my great vertical dipole as a reference. Well, the vertical dipole was quickly beaten on every path by the rotatable dipole! I had been "working everything I could hear" with the vertical dipole - but apparently I wasn't hearing everything. Working CW Stateside the rotatable dipole was typically hearing 10dB to 30 dB better than the vertical dipole, and for DX was still hearing around 10 dB better - where the vertical dipole should have been at its very best.

This antenna made me happy, and I hope it stays up!!!

VK3TDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2012 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Veteran Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just re-birthed my D40 for a loan to a fellow ham in need of a multiband antenna for a few months while he constructs a big yagi.

I worked DXCC a few years back with this great antenna and have used it since on several temporary operations. Through the years it has never failed me and tests today show everything tuning up just fine. The hardware is sturdy and durable.

I recommend this antenna highly. It's not a yagi but it does the job day in and day out.

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2010 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Fine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It does exactly what it should do. Provides 100 KC of bandwidth under 1.8:1 SWR, the rest with a tuner. Mine tuned up very easily about 12 feet off the ground, when tuned for 7030 at that height, it resonated at 7100 on the tower. Takes 1500 watts from my Alpha and does not groan. Compared to a ground mounted vertical HyTower, it is a far better performer. My D-40 is up almost 60 feet. Since putting it up, my 40 meter contest QSO performance has risen significantly. Now I want a beam for 40M...

VK3GK Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2009 06:26 Send this review to a friend
surprising results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just put this up today at 55' for ARRL dx contest. Boy, what a difference compared to the OCF at 35', about 3 S points better rx with the D40. I didnt expect that much improvement. and i thought the ocf was good on 40m. All i can say is that i should have put it up a couple of years ago when i got it.......

N4KW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2009 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with its performance, as advertised.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Picture at the beginning of this review is not the Cushcraft D40, the D40 does not have any traps.

The antenna is very well made and was received with all the parts required for a very easy and fast assembly. The VSWR bandwidth is as advertised
and I have used it in a few cw contest and pleased with its performance. I would purchase this antenna again.

W1ZK Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2007 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used a D40 since 1996 at 70' and it has worked as advertised. It has been through 75 MPH winds and ice and still keeps working. It's not a beam but when the tower won't take a beam's wind load the D40 does a very good job. I recommend it without reservation.

MW0XMG Rating: 1/5 Oct 25, 2006 01:57 Send this review to a friend
Dissapointed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Poor antenna, got this one from MLS earlier this year, after reading other write-up's put up @ 13mtrs, no tune whatsoever, played with the element lengths no joy, note however that it would seem that Cushcraft have changed from the bulky Aluminium traps to a wire shrink wrap type on ally tube, could these be the problem? have they had any returned with this fault? still awaiting a reply from Cushcraft, the nearest I can get it is 1.1.2 @ 8,900, obviosly no where near the 40mtr band, changed coax several times thinking it was me, not so, even tried a balun, no good, the only thing to do now is check the centre insulator and hope there's some sort of conductive contamination, did seem to be getting intermitant readings of continuity between the elements??? any ideas. Im dissapointed to say the least oh and the worst thing is I lost the receipt for it, Doh!! I think in future I will stick with wire......Pat MW0XMG

LA5SJA Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2004 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put it up yesterday and wow!! compared with a fd4 windom at aprox same hight noise went down 3-4 s and signal 2 - 5 s up using an ameriton Al 82 at full power no problems at all
assambeled it acording to manual and put it up worked fine imediately its aprox 16,5 Meters off the ground so now it,s up to the weather how long it will stay up live i arctic zone 71 dg North hi hi

will come back to tell if it not lasts hi hi
LA5SJA Geir iota EU-141

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2003 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Signals from this antenna as compared to a vertical are amazing!!!

I have the antenna up about 30' fixed South to the USA. Nice low noise signals now on 40M.

Quality is good as well.

Highly recommended.

Low cost and small footprint for a 40M rotatable dipole.

Michael Mark, BSc EE, P.Eng. Life Member ARRL

W7MRR Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2001 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna mounted on a crank-up tower and it outperforms my 52 foot Hy-Gain HyTower and a wire ground plane mounted 30 feet off the ground at any height! This is a keeper.
Ron W7MRR