Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | OPEK VUCM-301 Help

Reviews Summary for OPEK VUCM-301
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20.00
Description: Dual Band Amateur/Scanner 100-1200 MHZ Mag Mount
Antenna (BNC connection)
More info: http://www.alfenterprises

You can write your own review of the OPEK VUCM-301.

KD7YQI Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2003 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Works great for HTs !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Being new to ham radio, take this review with a grain of salt. I bought this antenna because it was small, light, has a strong little neodyminium magnet(90+MPH road speed in Montana=145MPH everywhere else), recieves lots of frequencys and, well...it just looks cool. It only handles 25w, but for my HT I can hit a repeater that is over 150mi away with 5w. It only comes with RU174 coax which I imagine would exhibit a fair amount of loss on 440. Now, I don't have all the meters to measure SWR and all that stuff, but it seems to work the repeaters and closer simplex really well. I thought the lady at ALF was full of crap when she tried selling me one of these as a real antenna, saying "these sell like hotcakes at the hamfests". I really don't know how these stack up against the higher gain 'tennas, but I get excellent reports only using 500mw out of my Kenwood TH-G71A.