Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | PicoKeyer from N0XAS Help

Reviews Summary for PicoKeyer from N0XAS
PicoKeyer from N0XAS Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $17.99
Description: Completely self-contained version of the original PicoKeyer, first introduced in 2003. The PicoKeyer features four memories, all connections and power on board (no external wiring needed), speed control, simple one-button menu based setup, beacon mode, and much more.
Keying modes supported are iambic A and B, Ultimatic, Bug and straight key/cootie. Hands-free tuneup mode lets you tune with either constant key-down or 50% duty cycle dits. Easy, quick assembly make this a great club or group build project!
More info: http://www.hamgadgets.com

You can write your own review of the PicoKeyer from N0XAS.

OK1RP Rating: 3/5 Jun 16, 2010 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Not for serious operation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned and tested keyer for 10 months...

Cons
- low volume if housed
- horrible slow access to banks where You need to wait seconds means it's not usable to call in pile-up from banks
- your manually inserted pauses during recording messages are not accepted and all letters are glued together or with just fixed internal pauses which are not corresponding to actual speed
- housing if You have not exactly right size of the box is nightmare

Pros
- small
- easy to assy
- cheap
- works for the first time

Again...not "perfect" keyer just another good keyer on the market.

73 - Petr, OK1RP

PA7WWO Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 22:48 Send this review to a friend
FB keyer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi All

I use 2 pico-keyers in my shack and I threw out the MFJ 401D.
Both of them work excelent for 2 yrs now without replacing battery yet.
I had my thoughts abt them but in fact I love these little PICO's more each day.
Always use the PICO even on rigs with build in keyer.
I always take my paddle and my Pico keyer with me for portable use or fieldday, never have to get used to someome elses keyer that way

73 JOS

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2010 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable keyer for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a few of these over the years and they are a good buy. The downside is they start developing problems within a year. To his credit Dale does send replacement parts to try and get it working again but my experience is it's best just to pay the $20 to replace it. Desoldering a double sided pc board without damaging it and trying to find the correct faulty components is the alternative.

The only other alternatives are MFJ junk and other high price keyers which I haven't tried.

K3TLP Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 11:02 Send this review to a friend
Works GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
30 minutes (or less) to put it together and it works great. When my $120 keyer died, I put this keyer in my station lineup. The battery life is very good.
This keyer kit is a great value.

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2009 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great First Kit and Keyer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quickly shipped and took about one hour to build and drill and mount in the small case. It works exactly how I want a keyer to work... I have a Kenwood TS-480 and TS-2000 which uses mode A Iambic keying and this keyer lets me use mode B which feels much more natural to me. It took me a few hours in a very quiet place to program the memories the way I wanted. It would be nice to have an actual on/off switch. The included battery should last for about 2 years but hooking up to a radio that was ON seemed to confuse the keyer and I had to do a reset twice.

N9PSE Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2009 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Great bargain!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Dale runs a tight ship -- I had it in my mailbox 3 days after ordering it.

Extremely clear instructions (included on a mini-CD), even for a novice builder (would be a great first kit). I got it together in 15 minutes. Dale even includes extra parts needed if you decide to use the keyer on external power (e.g., if you build it into a rig).

Easy to set up and customize to your needs -- you can even adjust the between character spacing.

You won't go wrong on this kit!

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2009 21:21 Send this review to a friend
YOU NEED ONE!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this keyer on a whim. I ordered it with the matching plastic box and the whole thing was less than $25 bucks. Received it within a day or two of placing my order. Built the entire thing in less than an hour. What a great keyer. I'm selling my Idiom Logikey and buying another one of these just to have it. Highly recommended.

AD5VJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2009 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Product and Great Ham  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not but anything together electronically in quiet a while even though I have been in Electronics since around 1978 and a Ham since 1965.

This kit could not be easier to assemble, all the parts are clearly marked, instructions are to the letter. I had it all together within 15 minutes. Programmed and operational within 30 minutes.

The kit worked first time and I already have it working in beacon mode. The instructions are clear and concise and to the point.

I have two TenTec QRP rigs of the Model 1300 series and these kits will fit in the rig enclosures perfectly. Plan on using them for US Island activations and operations.

Putting another one in operation as a beacon for my 10 meter rig for use as a beacon.

Also noticed the kit can be used for Fox Hunts as a beacon as well. With the on-board built in watch battery it should be super easy to put into action.

The thing that really surprised me was I ordered it on a Saturday and got it in the mail on Monday morning. I am in Texas and this guy is in Omaha, Nebraska. Now that is service!!!

Bob AD5VJ

WB0MZT Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2009 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great kit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My first keyer was a Heathkit SA-5010 which I built in 1975. Took a day or two to build, with quite a few IC's...the PicoKeyer seems to do everything that the Heathkit did...took about 15 minutes to build (had to let the soldering station warm up).
Considering the cost, there isn't any reason to not purchase one of these keyers....great job!

KB3RBC Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2009 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Great little piece of kit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered one of these keyers and had it built w/in 30 min after it arrived. Worked flawlessly first go round and interfaced with my QRP rig with no issues. I like the size and functionality of this little keyer. If you need a keyer to interface with your QRP rig, I definately recommend this kit.

KB3RBC