Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna
PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna Reviews: 43 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $75
Description: End Fed SWL antenna. 45' genuine #14 Poly coated Flex Weave, wideband binocular transformer. Includes field selectable grounding options. See Monitoring Times 9/03 issue for full review.
More info: http://www.LnRprecision.com

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics EF-SWL Antenna.

K6HJM Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2007 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna and service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using the EF-SWL with a Yaesu FGR-7...bought the radio on a whim and needed a broad range receiving antenna. Put up the EF-SWL (easy to do and almost invisible), but at first was not sure I liked it. So I emailed Dale and asked a few questions..he replied promptly with some good ideas.

Later I decided to make some resistance measurements and found a dead short between the wire antenna connection and the coax ground connection. Email back to Dale...and he was nice enough to kindly say that there was a matching transformer inside the connector box at the end of the antenna. In other words...it is working correctly since the DC resistance should be zero. I pretended that I knew this all the time...just being sure (he did not laugh at me).

Buy one and enjoy...and feel good that there is a real person (Dale) to help.

N6NKN Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2007 20:31 Send this review to a friend
Superior SWL Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already use other Par Electronics antennas in my ham radio activities. This antenna exhibits the same high quality of workmanship as Dale's other antennas. I installed it as a sloper with the apex at 40' and the feed end a few feet off the ground and connected the electrical ground to a cold water pipe with a short piece of copper foil. It is a quieter antenna then my trap diplole SW antenna and also seems to have about two S-units improvement in signal strength. End-fed antennas have the distinct advantage of ease of installation as compared to a center fed antenna. I'm sure I'll get many years of trouble free service from this antenna, the parts used are of top quality.

If you want a trouble free, high quality, excellent performing SWL antenna for a very reasonable price, I do not believe you can do better then a Par Electronics EF-SWL.

Tell Dale N6NKN sent you.

AA2KC Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2007 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading many online reviews, I promptly ordered this antenna. I set it up as an inverted L with five feet vertical and the remaining forty feet horizontal at eight feet above ground. The antenna was then grounded to the outside faucet.
I guess all I can say is "WOW". Like other users, I was surprised at the countless signals received. Noise was greatly reduced and it really compliments the RX320D. Size, low visibility, and performance make this a winner.

BODEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Quiet & powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Add my five-star rating to the others. The PAR EF-SWL is a fantastic multi-band reception antenna for smaller properties like mine. I erected mine atop a flat roof running directly north-south in a slight sloper configuration. From drilling holes through the wall to attaching coax and securing/painting the masts took about 6 hours, working solo. My old Halli S-40 receiver came alive with all the new stations and catches on the SW bands, works well with my portables too, and it is a very quiet antenna with great SNR.

W2DIP Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2006 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Wow - so many stations - so little time  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will make this short and sweet. I had used two other antennas to listen to short wave. The Par arrived last night. Despite all the good setup advice from Dale at Par, I ignored it all and simply took the antenna out of the box and ran it down my hallway and up and over a few doors into my bedroom. No grounding or anything. This was supposed to be just a quick test. I was not prepared for the number of stations that came blasting into my radio. I was up until 1:30 AM adding them to my list of favorites but could only get to a few bands. Too many stations to research for one evening.

Before I only picked up the normal powerful stations and a few of the weaker ones. Now it seems that I get them all. In fact, I have to narrow my filter to separate them all. I know it has only been one night worth of experience but WOW! I was not aware that there were that many SW stations out there. I also want to say that I also use Par's End Fedz 6 Meter antenna which I simply toss over the window valance. Make more contacts with it than I did with my other antennas plus it is very portable. Just roll it up and take it with you. No knobs to turn, no coils to install or antennas lenghts to adjust. Just toss it somewhere and it works. I imagine if I follow Par's instructions it would even be better but being able to talk over a hundred miles regularly with a ten watt rig using an antenna drapped over a window is good enough for me.

PD0POM Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2006 11:40 Send this review to a friend
I gave it just a try, but was very surprised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried several configurations this weekend.
Used my old Drake 2B and Yaesu 7700
> Best results were in the original setup as i received it. (4 days to the
> Netherlands!)
Making the wire longer doesn't have much influence.
> Received early this morning AM USA stations on 3880 and 3885.
I 'm impressed how it works on 20 mtrs.
> Even 180 mtrs went very well, i even received stations my friend
> couldn't hear while they were burried in the noise.
> Outperforms my MLB from RF systems with 20mtr wire, picks up far less
> noise.
> Compared signals with a friend of mine who has an inverted dipole, wire
> antenna of 135 feet and a horizontal dipole.
> What he received i received too.
> Very happy with the EF-SWL!!!!
> Will certainly recommend it.
Ideal antenna for small lots.

CARROTDOOR Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2006 02:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My equipment consists of an Icom IC-R75 and Eton E1XM receivers, my antennas are a 55 foot wire with balun, my homebuilt active loop and the EF-SWL. I am using an LDG Electronics DTS-6 antenna switch which allows for easy comparison and selection of antennas for best reception/readability. I have a dedicated proper earthing for the antennas.
Due to obsticles in my backyard, I had to mount the EF-SWL horizontal and is strung north/south. This antenna from PAR Electronics is performing extremely well indeed. My home built copper tubing active loop antenna has always been the best with the lowest noise and highest readability because it is remotely tuned and rotatable and covers from 2.3 to 17.9 MHz. However, even my loop antenna has been put into second place during some occasions!
Trying to receive WRMI Miami in the 31 metre band always give's a weak signal here on the east coast of Australia however, the EF-SWL is now giving me readable signals, low noise with S-3 to S-5, my loop allowed me to hear that there was a signal there but was unreadable, the 55 foot wire with balun could not even hear a signal, it just gave S-5 of noise!
The EF-SWL sometimes give's slightly lower signal strength readings compared to the other two antennas, but, on more occasions than not it delivers lower noise and better readability.
I love it and would recommend it to anyone, thanks Dale and PAR Electronics who shipped it from the US to Australia very quickly and it comes with excellant installation instructions!
Michael Stevenson, Port Macquarie, NSW, Australia.

KB1JHF Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2006 12:00 Send this review to a friend
Doesn't get any better than this!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
About 2 months ago, I decided to return to a hobby that, along with ham radio, has given me much pleasure over the years, that being Short Wave Listening.

I had read about Dale's antenna and decided to give it a try. I must admit that I wondered if it would beat my basic longwire setup. When the antenna arrived, we had a bit of warm weather so my son and I configured it for the sloper diagram and put it up. Amazingly simple and the process was made even easier thanks to the quality construction of this antenna. No snarls, tangles, etc.

What an incredible surprise! Low noise, unbelievably high quality construction and instructions that made sense! I gained about a 3 S unit increase over the longwire. Couple that increase with the low noise of this antenna and my SWL listening is now a truly a new listening experience.

Don't hesitate on this one. If you really want to hear what's out there on the short wave bands, this is the best antenna on the market.

ROSCOE Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2005 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Just what the doctor ordered!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Circumstances required me to move from a large house, to a townhome with antenna restrictions. I took the antenna farm down from my house, and I plotted how I would get the antennas set-up in a lofty but limited space attic. The VHF-UHF Discone was installed, and it is performing quite well with my scanners. I used a Firestick indoor 11 meter antenna, which I located over existing electrical conduit to improve the ground-plane. That worked well, and with some tweaking, I got the SWR down to 1.75:1. AS the attic is 16' long at the peak, I opted for a R.F. Systems Mini Windom all band dipole, which just happened to be 16' long. This shortwave antenna was a total bust, and my JRC NRD-535D looked at me and said,"What did I ever do to You"? At the old house I had been using a PAR Electronics EF-SWL, which actually outperformed my Antenna Specialists 66.5' sloper! I had the EF-SWL up on the roof of the old house for two years, and to my surprise, it still looked like the day it came out of the box. I e-mailed Dale Parfitt for his suggestions as to how to configure the antenna, in the limited space I had available. He got back to me the next day with his suggestions, and said above all I should attempt to mount the transformer as close to my cold water pipe ground as possible. The hot water tank is on the second floor, and the cold water pipe was just below the attic floor, so I only had to run 3' of #8 stranded wire to hook the ground to the transformer. I fashioned the 45' antenna into a combination Inverted V, and a Sloper,to make it fit. After experementing,I grounded the #2 post of the transformer, with the shorting wire removed from post #1. Needless to say, the EF-SWL once again saved the day, and my SWLing is back in business. Another e-mail to Dale, discussing my success, was once again followed up with a quick reply from him. This was not the first occasion I needed to e-mail him, and he got back to me right away that time also. This type of customer service is rare in this day and age, and it does not go unnoticed by Dale's customers. My advice is try this antenna, and you'll not be disappointed by it's performance and craftmanship. 73's and Good DXing to you. Gary

DENDEN Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2005 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Signal / Low Noise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only SWL. Until I installed this new antenna, I was using a random wire in an inverted L up a tree about 50'. The wire ran into the basement then up to the radio another 35'.
After reading several product reviews, I called to order this antenna and Dale Parfitt personally handled the call and 2 more since buying. It was among the best customer service I have ever seen.
The antenna came in a few days and the quality of the components were impressive.
I mounted it in an inverted V on standoffs along my garage roof line with the transformer just off the earth. The transformer is connected to a ground rod, then coax from the transformer to a surge suppressor which is earth grounded before coax enters the garage. The last leg, 50' of coax run thru the garage, basement and up to the radio.
When I first turned my new antenna/Sat800 on the powerful, clear sound actually scared me; stations that had been weak came in very well and many others sounded like they were here around Denver. (And I was told DXing in this part of the country was difficult.)
The performance is still positively first class.