Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Tiny Trak 3 Help

Reviews Summary for Tiny Trak 3
Tiny Trak 3 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $32
Description: TinyTrak3 is a GPS position encoder which, when connected to a GPS and a radio, will transmit its location at an adjustable rate. TinyTrak3 is a construction project providing an inexpensive way to build a mobile tracker without the need for a full TNC. It is configured by connecting to a computer's serial port, and running a simple configuration tool which allows setting of all user options.
More info: http://www.byonics.com/tinytrak/

You can write your own review of the Tiny Trak 3.

CT1BWW Rating: 4/5 Sep 26, 2013 13:17 Send this review to a friend
So simple, Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've this KIT for long time, Eaven i thougt i lost him. I found it and is realy GREAT KIT for APRS.
Now i will start on this area.
I recomend for those like APRS
73s Marq CT1BWW

W6DPS Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2011 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Great, for what it does.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a simple tracker, this is a fine product.

I do wish I had gotten the TT4 to be able to recieve, also.

I wrote about my experience on my ham projects web page, which you can find here: http://www.qsl.net/w6dps

N4CVX Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Still Works FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
Despite some comments that the design is "stagnant", bottom line is that the TT3 works out of the box. Our WCARES (www.wcares.org) bunch have a lot of them in use including 5 dedicated "APRS Boxes" which are fifty cal ammo boxes using a Puxing 2m rig, a gelcell battery and the TT3 with GPS. I'm particularly impressed by Byon's very user friendly attitude. We also have several TT4 units in service as well here in Williamson County.

VA3AXL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the Tiny Trak 3 for many years now and have never been dissapointed with it! I bought the kit and assembled the it myself. Easy to build as long as you follow the instructions! Easy to program with the software provided. (or downloaded from the www.byonics.com)
I've used it in the car mostly. Working on a setup for my bike right now. Had no trouble connecting it up to my ft857, ft8800 or my icT90A. I also just hooked it up to my VX150 with no trouble at all.
If you're looking for something just for tracking, (not sending txt msg back and forth) this (in my opinion) IS the best choice!! I wouldn't hesitate to get another one.

AA2YS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2006 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Works fine, but stagnant  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine in my car for a couple of years, now. It does what it's supposed to, and has been reliable.

Would I get another one? Probably not. The TT3 hasn't been significantly upgraded in years, while other, similar products have undergone almost constant development - adding new features like telemetry and wx station support, etc, all for essentially the same price.

NT9M Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2006 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Good for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simple, straight forward, and it works. The smart beaconing feature is very nice. The only nit to pick is that it seems to generate some RFI. This was especially pronounced when I would operate my 706 on 6 meters. It's connected to an FT8800 now and the 706 is no longer in the Jeep so it's not a big problem now.

AC0DB Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 15:52 Send this review to a friend
Easy, Small, and Intuitive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The folks at Byonics have done a GREAT job at making this unit easy to build, small and easy to hide, and very easy to program. I had no problem building the unit, programming it, or using it. It really is plug and play. If you're not electronically inclined, Byonics will be happy to build the unit and test it for you. This unit allowed me to purchase the Yaesu FT-8800R that I wanted, yet have the APRS beacon feature that I wanted to have with the Kenwood TM-D700A. Highly recommended!

KG4ZIE Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2005 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Nice fun useful kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a d700a and love that radio but it is not mounted in the car as of yet. I wanted something that I could use in the car/etc without a lot of hookup effort and decided on the TinyTrak3. It shipped to me real quick I think it took about 2 days to get to me. I will admit it took me a little longer to put it together but I had not built a kit in a long time and wanted to take my time and do it right. I really enjoyed building it as it was not to hard to build. I had no trouble interfacing it to my pc or gps. I did have a little trouble with the radio (VX-5R) but that was really my misunderstanding. The only major issue I have with it is not related to the unit itself but the radio or my lack of APRS understanding and that is getting the packets out. I do have a hard time getting packets to a digi so I dont always see myself on findu. I know it is putting them out as I can see them all on my d700a. I do plan on getting a second one soon to build into my rat shack digitraveler. If you want a low cost way to get into APRS this is a good way to go. There is also a TinyTrak yahoo group with more info.

N1WJO Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2004 13:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my kit and was itching to put it together. Had been looking for a small interface for my GPS to radio needs. I came across this and made the purchase. I put it together in about the hour that they say. Programmed up with no glitches and put it right to the test. Hooked to my Kenwood TH79ADH and my Garmin Etrex. My postings were instantly on FINDU.COM. Very small package and very easy to program. I am going to try programming with my Palm now.

AI4BN Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2003 03:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Project  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very detailed instructions. Software supports Windows PC and Palm OS PDAs for configuration.
I learned a lot about my interfacing my radio in the process of building the kit.
I had bought a radio with out a TNC and wanted to get into APRS. This is a neat way to get started.