Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | Elecraft DL1 Wideband 20-watt Dummy Load Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft DL1 Wideband 20-watt Dummy Load
Elecraft DL1 Wideband 20-watt Dummy Load Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $25.00
Description: The dummy load can handle a full 20 watts (continuous). Its SWR is less than 1.3:1 through 225 MHz. It includes an integral RF detector for use with a voltmeter, allowing you to accurately calculate transmit power.

More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft DL1 Wideband 20-watt Dummy Load.

KB2NAS Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2011 12:33 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great item to have around for QRP builders. The ability to connect a multimeter and get RF power measurements makes it very useful when aligning QRP transceivers. And you can say you own an Elecraft!

Too easy to build for five stars.

W2EEC Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2010 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Awesome/Easy :-)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was an awesome project to build and in return you get a very useable piece of equipment too.
It took me all of 30 minutes going slow to build this kit. It can be built much more quickly but where is the fun in that.
All of the parts sent are of the best of quality and clearly marked.
In the morning I am going to use the DL1 to align and set the power output of a Small Wonders Lab SW+ 20M CW QRP kit I just got done building the other day.
This is a very useful product if you like building and using QRP kits. I may build another one soon just to keep it in my "go-kit". The price of the kit and a BNC-male to male adapter shipped was $37.20 to my QTH. Not bad at all! The BNC male to male is made by Amphenol and looks like it is of excellent quality.
In my opinion you can't g wrong with this piece of equipment in your shack.

W2EEC
Eric

AB4BC Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2006 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Perfect match!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this kit to use in the alignment of the 222 MHz transverter kit I purchased from Elecraft. It was a quick and easy build and is a perfect 50 ohm load. Perfect SWR on all bands up to 1.25 meters! Lots of fun to assemble and works as specified.

OE3SGU Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2006 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
The kit was nice to build and is a good acessorie for the QRPer, recommended!

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2005 08:24 Send this review to a friend
A little winner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this dummy load mainly because of its ability to measure power using a DC voltmeter. You can calculate power using a formula or a supplied chart. It takes a lot of guessing out of the dubious accuracy of my wattmeter. I like the kits from Elecraft. They are fun to build and are always of the highest quality. This kit is pretty simple and didnít take long to build. I like the easy clip points for attaching my DMM.
AK2B

W7OX Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2003 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great QRP Accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built the DL-1 in about 20 minutes. There is not much to say about dummy loads, in most cases. But this one also lets you use a DMM to measure voltage and calculate power out using a simple equation, very useful for a builder/experimenter. The power measurements in the 3 to 5 Watt range I tested agreed with my best power meter (3% spec accuracy) to within 0.05 W. The DL-1 is a worthwhile addition to the arsenal of any QRP kit builder or operator.

NC4RT Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2003 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy, inexpensive, works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've built a few QRP dummy loads in my day, and my designs have been hit-or-miss when it comes to their SWR performance.

Elecraft's new dummy load is a breeze to build, and does a wonderful job. It uses a printed circuit board, with plated-thru holes. The 8 3-watt resistors mount slightly above the PCB, to give better air conduction. I have pumped 15 watts into mine for 10-15 seconds, and notice very moderate warming. At the QRP frequencies for 80 meters thru 10 meters, it returns 1.0:1 SWR readings.

The RF detector is a real plus. By connecting the probes from your DC voltmeter, you can very accurately measure the output RF power of your rig. Elecraft provides the conversion equation; I loaded it into an Excel spreadsheet for quick calculations.

The DL1 comes with a female BNC connector. If you intend to attach it to your rig's female BNC connector, be sure to buy a female-to-female adapter (Elecraft will sell you a very high quality one for $5.00).

I run an Elecraft K-2, which has 2 button-selectable antenna outputs. I like to connect a lightweight dummy to one of the outputs, to prevent myself from accidentally transmitting to an open jack.

Elecraft's specs:
=======================
Power Rating: 20 watts maximum; 50% duty cycle.

Bandwidth: Input VSWR less than 1.1, 0 to 30 MHz, 1.2, 0 to 144 MHz, 1.3, 0 to 225 MHz

Power Measurement Accuracy: 10%, typical, 1 watt to 20 watts
========================

A high quality, very useful accessory for the QRP op.

Randy WA4CIT