Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS-60 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-60
Kenwood TS-60 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,199.00
Description: 6 Meter all mode
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-60.

G7RHF Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2010 15:43 Send this review to a friend
brillant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought my first ts60 today ,am very impresed better rx than my 817 ,and thats no mean feat ,simple to operate ,solid build quailty ive waited a while to grab one ,if you see one snap it up before some else does

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile or small base  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave it a "5" (had no choice) but really if there was a "4.5" button I suppose I would've chosen that one. A couple stickler points with this one is that if your battery voltage in your car (or home power supply) is low, then the first time you key the rig and the voltage sags too low, you could lose your memories. At least that's been my experience. I've replaced the 3V lithium battery in it twice in the 8 or 9 yrs I've owned it. Worked lots of REAL F2 and Es DX with it from my car. Good all around rig and I love the 40-50MHz RX....why don't ALL manufacturers realize that SERIOUS hard core 6m DXers often like to monitor the rising MUF so need something a bit wider than the oft touted 48-50Mhz "extra receive"...
They are still commanding $600-$800 on the used market in my neck of the woods. I think I paid $650 back in 2001 for mine and thought I got a real deal.

VK3TDV Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my from new, bought it on a whim, and have never regreted it. It's very basic, minimum frills, only covers the one band but all these things suit me fine. The only issue mines had is that the backlight takes a moment to come on sometimes, otherwise no heat isues or anything else.

It's our summer E season in VK and in the past week I've worked VK9 and A35 with it!

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2007 22:38 Send this review to a friend
Great little magic band rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio and have put it too good use working quite allot of DX. Ihave fitted a INRAD SSB filter into mine which has improved on selectivity somewhat.

An gem that should be paid more attention to. Find one, see one, buy one!

K4WS Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2006 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these around 2001. One of the best 6 meter rigs going. I loved the receiver, the ease of not reading a novel to program simple things like scanning segments while snoozing on a mtn top site! It was highly priced but it does what it says on 6 meters. I doubt very seriously, after hearing from others, that its replacement has the same hf selectivity as the ts6o does on 6. The internal keyer is the only slight negative but not an issue and I never had a heat problem. Wish I still had it! I also have a 920 and it is not, to me, as good on 6. You also don't find them easily now as they are "keepers."

N7TCF Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2006 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Last of breed  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Every rig covers 1.8 - 450 MHz nowadays. Not a bad thing, however 6m needs its own radio running open squelch ready when the band opens. You'll miss many openings otherwise. With 90 watts, there's plenty of power for e-skip. The DSP is OK, newer rigs do a lot more, but 6m is quieter than hf, so not a big drawback. The CAT interface is a pain to deal with, but once all the parts are in place works good enough.

VE3UK Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2006 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an amazing rig! Having been an amateur radio operator since 1977 and being involved with the "magic" band as long, I have had my share of experiences with various 6 meter radios and I have to admit that this is by far the nicest unit that I have owned. The receive is so quiet on SSB that I am now hearing chatter on 50.125Mhz almost all the time. I am talking signals that my other radios noise floor would completely cover, very, very interesting. It almost hears too well if that makes sense.

I read the manual once and I instantly became fully familiar with the programming of the unit.

On TX I get excellent signal and audio reports.

All in all I am very satisfied and have already decided that I will never part with this radio as I know that I would regret it in the future. If you get the chance, grab one and if you don't like it, I will buy it from you as a spare.

W5AK Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2005 21:20 Send this review to a friend
TS-60 Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally found a TS-60 in like new condition. Got it running in time for Winter E/S season. I found it to be a fine radio. It's not got all the bells and whistles of an Icom 756 or a JST 245 (best 6 Meter radio out there) but it is puts out a clean signal and the receiver is sensitive without all the image issues of other rigs. No problems with heating here. I wonder if the guys who experienced heating problems with this radio in fact had issues with a defective heat sensor that turns on the little fan in the radio. With the Summer E/S season in the offing, find one of these radios. You will be pleased with it.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2004 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great 6 meter all mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always wanted one of these rigs, and finally found one at a great price. First off, this rig looks really nice. It is identical to a TS50, and it has dedicated buttons for most of the important features. You rarely have to go into the menus, except to change power, and you can do that through a mic button. The amber display looks better than the green or blue found on many other radios, and the front panel just looks classy.

The receiver performance of this rig is outstanding. The sensitivity is very good, and it excels in strong signal handling performance. I can get 5khz away from another local station and hold a QSO. I couldn't do that very well with the FT100D. The internal speaker also sounds good, and plenty of audio for mobile work.

This is an all-mode radio, as it includes FM and AM as well as CW and SSB. The transmitter puts out around 100 watts, and I get great audio reports with it.

The only features it really needs is a built in keyer, and a notch filter. I also wish the NB was a little better. It does OK mobile, but the NB is not as good as the one on the FT100D.

I have really enjoyed this radio so far, and would give it a 4.5 if that was possible, due to the above mentioned things.

PA3HHO Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2004 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Standard for the Magic Band!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got myself this transceiver out of pure frustration because the IC-706 MKI (optional small SSB filter installed) as well as the IC-736 I both owned just couldn't deliver! Even a friend's IC-706MKIIG with DSP option just didn't do the trick for me on six (other bands were "okay"); too noisy, too restless.

To my opinion the the problem with most of the current multiband rigs is that (I think) the 50 MHz band is just considered a "nice to have feature" and the design just doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves (requires). The TS-60 is a one trick pony, what a helluva trick!

This little brown pony is DEDICATED to six and it does deliver! It's soooo quiet and comfortable to listen to and RX selectivity is stunning compared to most multiband radios I've heard so far. The audio reports I get are always (very) positive and for some reason it seems to cut through pile-ups very well despite of my conservative working condx (The TS-60's 100W output directly coupled to 1,5m groundplane with only 1 ground radio @ 30ft / 9m AGL)

Excellent quality, reliable and easy to use radio, highly recommended to seriouls MAGIC BAND fans. It seems to be a standard for the 6m Big Guns to drive their amps and I believe there's a good reason for that. If you have the chance, borrow a TS-60 from a friend and use it e.g. on a midsummer evening during a fading sporadic E opening or in winter during F2 and you know what I'm talking about. This TRX rules the band! While other stations complain about QSB and don't get (or hear) their calls (being) confirmed I can still go on for with 100% copy on a very quiet (my friends say "closed") band allowing me extra minutes to break-through the fading pile-up and work that exotic grid / square.

To me, the TS-60 probably is the best 50 MHz radio I've ever worked since I passed my full VHF license test (7 years now).