Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TS-60 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-60
Kenwood TS-60 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $1,199.00
Description: 6 Meter all mode
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-60.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2004 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Great 6 meter all mode  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always wanted one of these rigs, and finally found one at a great price. First off, this rig looks really nice. It is identical to a TS50, and it has dedicated buttons for most of the important features. You rarely have to go into the menus, except to change power, and you can do that through a mic button. The amber display looks better than the green or blue found on many other radios, and the front panel just looks classy.

The receiver performance of this rig is outstanding. The sensitivity is very good, and it excels in strong signal handling performance. I can get 5khz away from another local station and hold a QSO. I couldn't do that very well with the FT100D. The internal speaker also sounds good, and plenty of audio for mobile work.

This is an all-mode radio, as it includes FM and AM as well as CW and SSB. The transmitter puts out around 100 watts, and I get great audio reports with it.

The only features it really needs is a built in keyer, and a notch filter. I also wish the NB was a little better. It does OK mobile, but the NB is not as good as the one on the FT100D.

I have really enjoyed this radio so far, and would give it a 4.5 if that was possible, due to the above mentioned things.

PA3HHO Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2004 19:31 Send this review to a friend
Standard for the Magic Band!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got myself this transceiver out of pure frustration because the IC-706 MKI (optional small SSB filter installed) as well as the IC-736 I both owned just couldn't deliver! Even a friend's IC-706MKIIG with DSP option just didn't do the trick for me on six (other bands were "okay"); too noisy, too restless.

To my opinion the the problem with most of the current multiband rigs is that (I think) the 50 MHz band is just considered a "nice to have feature" and the design just doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves (requires). The TS-60 is a one trick pony, what a helluva trick!

This little brown pony is DEDICATED to six and it does deliver! It's soooo quiet and comfortable to listen to and RX selectivity is stunning compared to most multiband radios I've heard so far. The audio reports I get are always (very) positive and for some reason it seems to cut through pile-ups very well despite of my conservative working condx (The TS-60's 100W output directly coupled to 1,5m groundplane with only 1 ground radio @ 30ft / 9m AGL)

Excellent quality, reliable and easy to use radio, highly recommended to seriouls MAGIC BAND fans. It seems to be a standard for the 6m Big Guns to drive their amps and I believe there's a good reason for that. If you have the chance, borrow a TS-60 from a friend and use it e.g. on a midsummer evening during a fading sporadic E opening or in winter during F2 and you know what I'm talking about. This TRX rules the band! While other stations complain about QSB and don't get (or hear) their calls (being) confirmed I can still go on for with 100% copy on a very quiet (my friends say "closed") band allowing me extra minutes to break-through the fading pile-up and work that exotic grid / square.

To me, the TS-60 probably is the best 50 MHz radio I've ever worked since I passed my full VHF license test (7 years now).

AC5JV Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2002 09:47 Send this review to a friend
excellent proformance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought ts-60 used have worked over 100 grids U.S and 25 grids forgein including Japan Using just 3-element yagi@35feet I own ts-570 hf only in conjuction with the ts-60 good combo.

K1HC Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2002 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Quality and Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two TS-60's, selling my first to buy my current one, which has the 500 HZ CW filter. Another reviewer makes the point that you can buy a multiband radio with 6 meters, such as the TS-570, for about the same price as the TS-60. Very true, but that indicates the quality that went into the design, parts, and building of this radio and explains its demand among dedicated 6 meter operators. My IC-706MKII doesn't stand up to my TS-60 in selectivity, sensitivity, and rejection of strong adjacent signals during contests. While it lacks the DSP I have on my TS-2000X and TSB-2000, it is also a lot less $$$ than those two radios. One heck of a radio if you can find one on the used market!

LA6MV Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2002 11:33 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine is second hand and in very good condition.
Is mostly used portable/mobile from rare squares in the summer time. Has what is needed for this operation in a small package. Performance is excellent, compared with the IC-706 Mk I and FT-690. FT-900+TV50/28+PA+power+cables.. was too complicated. Audio sounds good both on transmit and receive. Parts and build quality is great. Must have cost Kenwood a lot to build it like this. This radio will stay with me.
Have never seen the reported heat problem.

WB9YCJ Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2001 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced, Replaced with 570SG  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very overpriced when sold new. Not popular in number of sales due to this. Initially acquired one and then decided to replace it in favor of the 570SG. Why ? A Kenwood factory rep told me it cost Kenwood the same to manufacture a TS-60 as it does a TS-50 and this was the reason for its demise. And that for nearly the same "chunk" of money "you could by a nice 570SG" with 6 meters and get the "same performance as the TS-60". Basically, I got tired of having all that money tied up in a single band unit when I could have a nice 570SG for nearly the same price. TS-60 was a very good radio with arguably a heat issue in the P.A. PCB.

M1DRK Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2001 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Its just a fantastic radio had FT-920 but the
ts60 beats it hands down.

WB4UNA Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2000 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Needs help  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the TS-60 for around 3 years..I liked the small size of the radio but it had heat problems. I had a proplem with the final board getting to hot and pulling the traces off the board. It also was a double sided board and it would lose conection between the top and bottom trace..If you did not run it hard you were ok, as I found out , it worked ok..Kenwood wanted 400.00 for new board..