Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Gap HEAR IT dsp speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Gap HEAR IT dsp speaker
Gap HEAR IT dsp speaker Reviews: 18 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $159
Description: Small speaker with dsp unit inside. Connects to speaker out plug of rig. Requires 13.8v, and has 8 possible filters.

You can write your own review of the Gap HEAR IT dsp speaker.

N6ZV Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2007 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Slow recovery after transmit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The noise suppression is nothing of short of amazing. It does require a power supply common mode choke if you have RF in the shack. The only real fault I have with it is the couple of seconds of recovery time it can take after you transmit before the noise suppression is working again. When you release the PTT, the unfiltered audio initally comes through full blast and then, depending on the degree of processing you have selected, the noise goes away over the next few seconds. This can be problem when the other station responds to your call and you miss it in the noise only to hear him repeat your call the second time. If it had a faster recovery, I'd give it a 6.

K5SBU Rating: 2/5 Mar 5, 2005 13:19 Send this review to a friend
No drum roll here  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If one only looks at the noise reduction, yes that works well and I will not repeat other comments made here already, both positive and negative, with which I agree totally.

Here are my additional and new comments not yet posted by others:

1. The unit has a serious audible hum with the dsp feature turned on or off, vehicle turned and all vehicle and radio accessories off, and the receiver audio turned down fully. The hum is very significant.

With the 706 receiver audio turned up with the dsp turned off you can still hear the hum which modulates the signals on careful observation.

If the dsp feature is turned on the dsp circuit removes the hum but there is some clipping of signal audio from the hum. Not good. Grade of F for hum in an audio device.

2. On transmit the unit is susceptable to RFI with dsp feature turned on or off. With headphones like the Heil Traveler or the Heil Pro Plus attached, not hearing the speaker, it pipes so much RFI garble on transmit into your ear that its totally distracting. Not good. Grade of F for RFI to a radio accessory device made to go in a RF environment. Looks like they quit engineering too soon or did inadequate field testing with the final units. Not acceptable.

Overall rating therefore is UNACCEPTABLE at any price and at over $150 I have to give the product a fat thumbs down. Its the boot out the door for the GAP Hear It gadget.

Caveat Emptor

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2004 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Works Great in FT 817  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love my FT 817, but operating from hotels with all the attendant electrical hash has been less than thrilling.

I bought the HEAR-IT model for internal mounting in the FT 817, and had it installed by W4RT Electronics.

In a word - night and day! Everything the other reviewers said is true. It cuts out most of the
hash and QRN (depending on the setting) and makes ham radio fun again.

I've been using the Clear Speech speaker for my home rigs, and the HEAR-IT is just as good, and fits inside the FT 817 with one small button to push.

Allen
K6USN/VK4DSN

W4MY Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2004 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Improved Audio/Mechanical just so-so  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This speaker performs as good or better than the advertisement. Combine this speakers AF-DSP with good IF filtering in your rig and its a killer combination. I was uncertain because it is a bit pricey (for what it is) but in the end Im glad I bought it.

Heres why I didnt give it a 5. Its hardware configuration is such that it is mounted at two points on the side with a C shaped bracket. If you opt to have the bracket support the speaker from below its OK. But if you (like me) want to mount the C shaped bracket from above there are some issues. First the 1/8 headphone jack is obscured by the bracket and is completely unusable. Second the top DSP IN/OUT switch is tucked in too tight next to the bracket preventing my fingers from reaching it. I have to use a pencil to switch it back and forth (probably will leave it on mostly anyway). Ditto with the gain control, its obscured also.

Additionally, why the 1/8 jack for headphone out? 98.5% of the headphones I know of have a phone jack. If I could get to the headphone jack (see above) Id have to use a gangly adaptor.

The audio in cable is hard wired into the back with about an 8 cable length to a 1/8 audio plug. This covers most installations, Im not a big fan of hardwired cables coming from back of my boxes. Id prefer an RCA on the back for this.

Performance is a 5, Mechanical design 3. When the warrantee expires this one will definitely be getting modified.

73 Marty W4MY

AB0O Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2003 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I agree with all the previous reviewers' remarks and would add that this item was a very fast and efficent solution to my mobile operation/vehicle RFI problems. Instead of taking my car apart, chasing down special ignition wires, arguing with the car manufacturer, etc, I simply turned the GAP speaker switch on and it was pretty much all gone. Simple as that.
Also, if you have never used a DSP system, you may find the audio pitch and quality different such that you are inclined to turn the GAP off for initial tuning, then turn it back on for the QSO. However, after a few hours' operation you will become accustomed to "GAP audio" and the unit will likely stay on 100% of the time.

W4WB Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2003 15:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Perfomance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the HEAR IT Speaker with my FT-100D in my mobile installation. It makes the difference often in being able to make the QSO or not. I have found it so much more enjoyable to operate with the DSP turned on, that I leave it on all the time now. For most operations, I use either level 4 or 5 out of the 8 available levels. Thw level is selected by a DIP switch on the back. At first, I "wanted" the level control where I could easily change the setting. After a bit of playing, I found that I rarely needed to change once I found the level I liked. So I think I like having the DIP switch okay. I also note that as you increase the level of processing, you need to tune more carefully as might be expected. Distortion of the audio is insignificant expect at the level 8 (a slight bit). Overall, it is an excellent addition to the station and I have since added the GAP HEAR IT In-Line module to my base station (FT-1000MP). Also, a great addition that beats the ClearSpeech unit I had used for about 2 years and rarely turned on.

AF4KK Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2003 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Excellent speaker!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This speaker is truly a marvel! It works well, sounds great and is small enough for a mobile enironment! I only wish the DSP adjustment switches weren't on the back where it's difficult to reach them. Aside from that, the "Hear-It" is a fine piece of equipment!!

WB2GFN Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2003 09:37 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's hooked up to an old ic 706... 40 meters is all noise... turn the speaker on... and YOU HEAR PEOPLE TALKING!!!!! Dead bands come to life. And, you can hook it up to any radio, simply by plugging into speaker out jack. Gap's ads don't claim enough for this marvel.