Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, etc.. | PAR Electronics, Inc. VHFDN152 Help

Reviews Summary for PAR Electronics, Inc. VHFDN152
PAR Electronics, Inc. VHFDN152 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $69
Description: Notch filter that targets the 152-153MHz pagers that are responsible for the vast majority of 2M intermod. Transparent at 6M,2M,70cM
More info: http://parelectronics.com/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the PAR Electronics, Inc. VHFDN152.

HB9GBY Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2013 11:39 Send this review to a friend
I got amazed :)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had great problems with a POCSAG transmitter in my neighborhood. The transmitter sends on several frequencies on 147 MHz. It was absolutely impossible to work on 144 MHz frequency.

I saw in the internet the homepage from Dale Parfitt and after several emails with him, he offered me a filter for my interference problems.

After about 2 weeks I got the filter.
The construction was carried out very clean and very professional.

Anxiously i connected the filter to the antenna and to the receiver and...the POCSAG interferences was almost gone :))).

Only on one frequency is the signal still present and loud, but with a bit attenuation, i can now work on 144 MHz.

It is really a charm, the frequencies are now very clean, and i am very satisfied with that fantastic filter.

Many thanks Dale for your very fast and professional work. If it would only give more such professional people, many things would be easier :)

I can recommend to 100% these filters.

G1LOV Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 05:40 Send this review to a friend
VHFDN-152 FANTASTIC !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I spoke to Dale regarding my problems with interference and he recommended this VHFDN-152
Notch filter and I am so happy with it as all of my interference has gone. I can now use vhf and uhf without any problems.

Thanks Dale for a great product.
My only regret is I should have got the filter for my scanner at the same time.

KI6DYR Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2008 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used PAR Electronics products for several years and even recommend them regularly. I now live at 6300 feet overlooking ALL of southern California from San Diego to parts far north. I am surrounded by repeaters, both commercial and amateur. In fact, there are three ham repeaters right next door.

But the biggest offender are those damn VHF paging transmitters with an ERP of 1400 watts and operating under a cancelled license. They blanket California and the interference is tremendous. But not with the PAR VHFDN152. It is completely gone.

Dale is also a pleasure to work with. He patiently answers questions and is truly helpful.

N3ZY Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Performs as specified  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own an ICOM 2720 which very poorly rejects strong paging transmitter signals. This was a significant issue for me because I live on a mountain festooned with antennas of all kinds. Two of them within a kilometer of my house are paging transmitters. I installed this filter and found that it notched out the paging transmitters with no significant insertion loss. It absolutely eliminated the problem.

NM7R Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2006 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Great problem solver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I operate a linked network of 11 repeaters at 9 sites in southwest Washington. One site was giving me fits. My contribution to the RF smog on the hill in question is a package including a VHF repeater on 147.340+, a UHF repeater on 442.675+ and a link transceiver on 441.675+. All use a PL of 118.8. The two repeaters share an antenna through a diplexer.

Life was good, and then a new 158 Mhz paging transmitter moved into the building next door. The antenna is on a pole 60 feet horizontally and 20 feet vertically away from my repeater antenna. When a user was on another repeater in the network, it would key the VHF and UHF transmitters (that’s how a linked system works). The VHF repeater receiver would then momentarily key up erratically and repetitively, seizing the link and interfering with the entire network.

This “shotgun” problem would go away if I killed either the VHF transmitter or receiver, so I figured it was a mixing problem. That also explains why the PL lock was ineffective. I had to leave the 2-meter side off for days at a time. It was frustrating.

I tried a DCI bandpass filter on the VHF side. This had worked at other sites, but couldn’t touch this problem. I tried an additional bandpass cavity on the transmit (and later the receive) side of the Sinclair 4-cavity duplexer. No effect.

I called Dale and he recommended the VHFTN152-158. This is a three-section notch filter with one section on the 152 and two on the 158 Mhz paging frequencies. He takes PayPal, so I instant-paid him and he instant-sent the filter. I installed the filter at the junction of the diplexer and main feedline, figuring that keeping the paging out of the UHF AND VHF sides would be a good thing. I had double-checked the 2-meter and 70-cm insertion loss on the bench – there is none.

I installed the filter in early December, and here it is March and not a peep. Both repeaters are working fine. Thanks Dale, for such a professionally built product, the caring, personal service, and getting my repeater back. Well worth the $96.

N3ATS Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2006 12:57 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There is a VHF paging base station 400 yards from my house. The paging base is delivering almost 300 watts to a Decibel Products DB228 (9dB gain) antenna. Duty cycle is near 100%.

My Comet X50A (4.5dB gain) antenna is at 40' on my chimney, in direct line of site with the paging transmitter. You can see one antenna from the other.

Ha! By now you KNOW what I am dealing with!

I am using a Icom IC706MKIIG transceiver, and as you can imagine, this paging site is tearing me up most righteously on 146.520. It's so bad that I can't even carry on a simplex QSO unless the other station is coming in at S8 or better. I say S8 because that's the level at which I can hear the paging transmitter in the 2M band.

I contacted Mr. Parfitt about the situation and he recommended the model VHFDN152 IM filter. I told him what the offending frequency was (152.180) and he had one tuned and on it's way in HOURS! He even shipped it to me on the honor system. How does the other half live! I received the filter in a couple of days, and installed in minutes. It weighs ounces, is smaller than a pack of cigarettes, and all you have to do it connect one side to the radio and the other to the antenna.

Gone. Nada. Zilch. Zip. Nothing.

Not a scratch, not even a squelch breaking peep out of that transmitter! And this is at 3:30 on a Friday afternoon! Prime time for the paging business. This transmitter is on the air constantly. Nearly 100% duty cycle. Now, I don't even know it's there.

The filter will notch the offending frequency at 50 dB or better. The chart that came with my filter shows -58 dB at 152.400 MHz. The filter handles a throughput of 50 watts, has an insertion loss of a mere .3 dB, and a maximum SWR in the 2 meter band of 1.25:1 MAX!

This filter is easily worth many times the asking price of $69.00 plus $7.00 is shipping, and is an awesome product that I can't say enough about.

Thanks again Dale for a wonderful product, and as always, exemplory customer service!

N1KSN Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2004 11:39 Send this review to a friend
Solved my problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one of these notch filters used from another ham in my club. He sold it to me after I mentioned the problems I'd had from time to time receiving on our club's repeater TX frequency at my home station.

Well, the problem must have been caused by pager transmissions, because this unit did the trick and my RX problems are gone. I simply used an adapter to connect it to the jack on the back of my FT-8800R.

Also, the build quality of this filter is very solid.

K4MMG Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2003 19:52 Send this review to a friend
WOW I Can Hear !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have both a 706 MIIG, and a VX5R which I use often, specfically on 2mtrs.,and 70cm. However when I travel to Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio, Texas, the radios were almost unuseable on some frequencies because of the RF saturating signals from commercial equipment.

I discussed this situation with Dale, and he recommended the VHF dual notch filter which can handle 50 watts continuous. I had mine configured with b&c connectors, thus making it easier to use with the VX5R.

Results are absolutely gratifying, after traveling to the major cites with the filter installed on either radio. I CAN HEAR on the amateur frquency of my choice without any trace of intermod from commercial inteference , either on 2mtr.,or 70 cm. Without this filter the radios were almost useless in these major cities.

This filter is a great investment, and thanks to the folks at Par Electronics for having this filter available.