Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom P2AT Help

Reviews Summary for Icom P2AT
Icom P2AT Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $$349.00
Description: Mini full featured 2 meter HT from the early 1990s, with large display, and artificial intelligence feature
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom P2AT.

KD6JXM Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2013 08:31 Send this review to a friend
22 years and counting  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father purchased a P2AT for me when I was 12-13 years old. I had just passed my no-code tech test.

I have used this HT on and off (having been my only radio) for years... it has been a base station, a mobile station and a fashion accessory to get called "nerd" over. (Teenagers could be mean... ended up being a nerd vs jocks thing... and we all know how that turns out once we grow up)

Basically what I'm saying, is this HT has taken water balloon hits... getting tackled after school... and I'm sure more abuse that my memory has blocked out... AND IT STILL WORKS TODAY! (I can't say the same for the coke bottle glasses I was wearing back then)

Fast forward a couple decades...

I slowly got back into the hobby in the past couple of years. My P2AT was still waiting for me and working perfectly. Sure the original NiCD cells are done for, but with a little solder and heatshrink, I've been on the air again for over a month with no issues.

IF you see one of these radios (I say IF, because there aren't many out there)... I'd recommend picking one up for a small and reliable HT. Just figure out how to hook up a new battery to it, and you'll be good to go.

N8PMG Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2011 18:56 Send this review to a friend
A found treasure  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking for one of these for a few years and found one in excellent condition at a hamfest this past weekend. Batteries are a scarce item, but this one came with 5 alkaline cases and the charger for $40.00! It is built very well and has a solid feel in the hand. The display is the weakest point, but the small speaker provides adequate audio. It is easier to program than some modern radios, and everything works well, including a built in clock.

W8WZ Rating: 0/5 Dec 7, 2006 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Mine was bad  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this radio after I passed my Technician test, back in the early 90s.
The radio was dead out of the box due to a faulty lithium battery. This is the battery that controls the memory, not the removable one that powers the radio. The vendor sent it back to Icom and they returned it to me. It worked for about another year before the battery died again. During that year my dad bought one for himself. His internal lithum battery died after about 3 years.

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2004 21:02 Send this review to a friend
a great radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I picked up an Icom P2AT used and though finding batteries was a bit of a chore, I fell in to a great deal on a couple and even picked up a P4AT on the way. This radio has a great receiver, very strong and very good with intermod, about the best I've seen with intermod yet. The stock rubber duck is incredible for what I'm used to, it hears great and I'm in a hole out here. The radio gets out good with the 5 watts, has a lot of good features, feels good and is very easy to use. This one is a keeper, for a while anyway, I don't keep HT's long though but I like this one too much to let it go now.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2003 01:18 Send this review to a friend
A dream comes true  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally found one of these HTs for fulfill a 9 year dream. Back in 1994 I was in Michigan to run the June VHF contest, and stopped at Comdac to pick up a 2 meter yagi. While there I picked up a couple of Icom flyers, and fell in love with the P2AT. It just looked like the neatest little HT, but being a college student at the time, there was no way I could afford the $350 price tag for it. I still kept dreaming about one though. A couple of years ago I purchased a used one on eham.net, but never got it because the buyer found that it didn't work before he shipped it. I finally found one at R and L electronics, and got it earlier this week. It was worth the wait.

This HT appears to be the replacement for the 2SAT line as it is about the same size, with similar-but additional-features. The size and feel of this HT is excellent. You can tell it is a quality HT just by picking it up, and just fits perfectly in your hand. It also has a very large and easy to see display, and a nice-but kind of dim-green backlighting. Not the easiest to see at night.

The P2AT came out in the early to mid 90s, which was the golden era for Icom HTs. They had about 15 different models out at that time, and many of them surpass what Icom offers today. Some of the features that the P2AT has which are lacking in current Icom HTs are:

1. A clock-love this feature, all should have it
2. Run directly off of 12 volts
3. Multiple power levels-4 in all, up to 5 watts
4. Priority scan-why did Icom discontinue this? Allows you to monitor 2 different repeaters at once

The P2AT also has things like pocket beep and paging, CTCSS (PL) tones, 100 memories, call channel, and is very easy to use. I was able to program all of the local repeaters in memory without having to open the manual. It also has an AI button which will store 1 function for you, which can reduce the amount of keystrokes some, but with limitations. It also has some sort of test mode where it will test you on the different functions, and only set up the functions that you understand how to use. Interesting, but I haven't tried that yet.

The included rubber duck works surprisingly well. It is fairly small (like 2 or 3 inches) and I figured that it would be worthless, but it actually gets me into the local repeaters really well. Better than the rubber ducks on some other HTs I have had recently, and it is very flexible. The receive audio is also pretty good. The QST product review makes is sound like the audio is weak, but that is not my experience. It doesn't get as loud as a VX5R or VX150, but it still does pretty good, and sounds really nice. The case is also a nice off black color, and the HT looks alot like a large cell phone.

Operating this has been a joy so far. There is a keypad mod which will allow you to enter frequencies more easily, but it didn't seem to open up the receive very much. This does the standard 130-174 MHZ.

The biggest drawback to this HT would be finding batteries. Mine came with a battery case, so that is not a problem. This HT didn't seem to sell very well, as you never see after market batteries for them. I assume the price tag was a little tough to swallow when it was on the market. There was also a P3AT for 222 mhz and a P4AT for 440, which would be great to find in the future also.

So was the dream worth it-absolutely! This is 1 great HT. Now I just have to get the Icom 2iA which was also in that same flyer and also very cool looking.