Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi
OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi Reviews: 20 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1.200
Description: 2 element 40m Yagi, 49 foot long elements, highly efficient due to computer designed air coils, direct 50 Ohm feed point

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi.

OZ1LO Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2016 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Another excellent yagi from Optibeam  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I agree with all the positive remarks in previous reviews and see no reason to repeat them.
Compared to my previous 2 el. 40 m yagi it covers the whole 200 kHz with no higher than 1,6 SWR at both ends so I do not need my antenna tuner any longer and the 40 m decoupling stubs allows me to stack a yagi for the higher HF bands above it without any interaction.
I could not do that with my previous 40 m yagi without mounting it 90 degs. out of phase with the 40 m yagi, which was often leading to mistakes when I got tired e.g. towards the end of a contest.
I enjoy watching how stable the yagi reacts to strong windgusts of 30 m/sec with little movement when pointing the boom against the wind and along the elements as recommended by Optibeam.
73 de OZ1LO
W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2013 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Another Optibeam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed the OB2-40 at 120',the OB 11-5 is mounted on a second tower. The 40M Optibeam has the same outstanding build quality and performance. I have tried a variety of 40M antennas at this QTH...Bobtail Curtain, L, OCF and the Force 12 linear loaded dipole. With the Optibeam directed to Europe calling CQ often results in a pile up, a new experience on 40M.
VE6AMI Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 21:27 Send this review to a friend
Another Winner from Optibeam  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Using this antenna in a contesting SO2R environment, exceeds my expectations for what a 2 element can do for perfomance. Mounted at 30 meters height, listening reception is excellent. Stacked above a OB16-3 unit, can be seen on QRZ. Top quality construction, you will not be disappointed.
S53BV Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2012 09:30 Send this review to a friend
TOP PERFORMER  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After testing OB2-40 couple of months on the air, I have decided to put together a couple of words about this beauty. This antenna is simply the best what I have ever put on the tower.

Last 3 years I was building my own 2 el full size 40m beams and there is no gain difference btw. OB2-40 and full size - at least I can not feel any differernce. OB2-40 is even better if we discuss about F/B ratio and for sure better when we are talking about strenght. My last 2 homemade fullsized beams haven't survived one winter (strong wind and snow). OB2-40 survived last week wind with over 140km/h, yes elements are a little bit twisted but not much arr 5cm difference at the element ends.

If I compare OB2-40 with other antennas at my home, result and gain is as follows:

- full size GP (6radials, arr 5m over the ground) + 2S units
- dipole antenna, 20m up the ground +1S unit

The difference becomes even greater if I work long pass. With above antennas usually I have never heard Hawai, Alaska due to the high Alps close to my location. OB2-40 helps me to hear and actually go over the pile-up very fast (ACOM is helping me of course :-) ) also in this direction.

So, over all great performer, really strong construction, surviving wind, storms, snow and heavy pile-up :-).

You can see this beauty in the air on QRZ.COM...

73 DE S53BV
YB3OX Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2011 23:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's about 2 meters above Hygain TH-11, almost no interactions between two antennas. SWR as advertized and performance is outstanding (in my opinion better than my prior 3 elements monoband yagi from C.....).
Relatively easy to install and supports from Tom was excellent.
I am happy with this antenna

Agung, YB3OX
F4DCG Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2010 09:06 Send this review to a friend
welcome to the 40m antenna with OptiBeam  Time owned: more than 12 months

I use this antenna for 3 years.
he is 77 feets.
this construction is very sturdy and solid.
ros perfect.
no work for 3 years .
no default.
I am pleased to have purchased this antenna.
good system ,mono bande.
the performance is exelent
thank you for this manufacturer OptiBeam.

trust for your project thomas df2bo

good dx with antennas OptiBeam.

thanks arno

KF4WGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2010 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordinarliy I would not review a product that I've only had for a week but this antenna deserves it. I replaced a F-12 two element antenna with the Optibeam and the difference is incredible! The pattern is much sharper so I can actually reject unwanted signals. Front to Back is noticebly better as is forward gain. One might say this is just ancedotal evidence but I ragchew with the same group of guys every day and xmit/rx signals are consistantly better. I was able to work DX with the other antenna but again xmit/rx signals are higher with the Optibeam. Antenna resonance is exactly as advertised and the support from Optibeam owner, Tom DF2BlueOcean, is second to none. All my questions to Tom before and after the sale were answered promptly and in great detail. I would be remiss if I didn't mention quality. Again, the best I've seen. The workmanship and quality of parts and mechanical construction is fantastic. Night and day difference between this antenna and what I had before. Optibeams are expensive but worth every penny if you want the best. The antenna will outlive me!

73...Barry KF4WGR
WW4LL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2010 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OB-2-40 is the second Optibeam that I've purchased and I've owned 2 other 2 element 40 meter antennas made by two different manufacturers. There is absolutely NO Comparison!

After putting it up, I got on the radio and beamed NE listening to a pileup on a Russian station. I made one call and the response from the Russian was humorous, as he started laughing and said, "WW4LL your a true 20/9 and are loud". I can go on about the performance as there are many similar stories already related to the performance of this beam.

However, I want to tell you that assembly of this beam and the OB 16-3 that I just put together is very intuitive as Tom has the boom marked where everything goes.

There are NO missing parts, no burrs and no excuses. It's simply First Class! The craftmanship is outstanding. Don't hesitate to buy one as I promise, you won't be sorry. No, I'm not on the payroll, I'm just tired of buying products that don't live up to the promises, no quality control and no one to stand behind them. Wish I'd bought these long ago, instead of screwing around with some of the others on the market.

73'...Fred WW4LL
KB0EO Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2010 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What a great experience, from ordering to operating! I contacted Array Solutions to get pricing and availability - Tom at OptiBeam immediately emailed me back to let me know there was one in stock in Germany. I ordered the antenna and Array Solutions set it up to direct ship to my QTH via UPS. I expressed my concern about damage to the antenna during shipping - Array Solutions said they would take care of any malfunctions.

The OB2-40 showed up and was exceptionally packaged - there were no missing parts and no damage. As I uncrated the parts, I noticed how meticulously everything was arranged and labeled - it made it very easy to inventory all the parts.

I soon started assembly - with very minor exceptions, this antenna almost puts itself together. OptiBeam has done most of the difficult assembly - everything is very modular and compartmentalized. OptiBeam also marked all the parts with permanent marker, which made identification a breeze. My only negative...and it's very there is some language disconnect in the assembly instructions - the translation from German to English had a few odd sentences that were difficult to understand. On a whim, I emailed Tom at OptiBeam to ask for clarification (on a Saturday) - to my surprise, I had a return email within 1/2 hour. Tom and I emailed back and forth, including sending some digital photos both ways for clarification. I have to say, I thought that level of customer service was extinct - Tom at OptiBeam did a great job helping me out. His remark to me that "OptiBeam is on the job 24/7 to take care of their customers" is no distortion of the truth.

Before mounting the antenna on the mast, I had it sitting on saw horses 3 feet off the ground, pointing due south. Just for the fun of it, I connected a coax and fired up the rig. I heard an HA station calling CQ, which was off the side of the beam. I tried calling him - to my surprise, he came right back! I couldn't wait to get this thing up on the tower!

Finally, my entire tower and antenna stack were installed. I fired up 40 meters in the evening and was not disappointed. With 100 watts, I worked 7 continents from Minnesota in about 2 hours. I broke through a significant pileup for RI1FJ and for Antarctica. In addition, when I called CQ DX, I experienced several significant pileups of my own. Everyone is giving me 5-9/599 + signal reports on only 100 watts, from the black hole of the midwest.

I highly recommend this antenna. On second thought, don't get one - it will give me a better chance to break through the pileups :-)

If you have any questions or want to see pictures of my installation, send me an email at

73s and good DXing
W1MU Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2009 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Still very happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Optibeam OB2-40 has been up for six years and has just been taken down so that I can perform some unrelated tower and station maintenance. In the six years I have owned it I have used it for casual DX’ing as well as more serious DX contesting, all on CW.

Other reviews on this website, including my own original review from 2003, comment about the performance of the antenna. In a word, it is “superb” and I believe that any buyer would be quite happy with how the antenna works.

Now that I have had a chance to inspect the antenna on the ground after six years in the air I can say, in addition, that the mechanical design is equal to the electrical design. The antenna has passed “the test of time.” After six years of exposure to the sun, snow, ice, rain, and wind of the Maine seacoast, the antenna sits on the sawhorses behind the barn, offering me a close-up second look at all the mechanical design decisions that were part of it. I can see that each and every one was well thought through and that the materials selection, fabrication techniques, and finished assembly are all rugged and survivable. The extensive use of aluminum and stainless steel hardware, the simple but reliable trussing harnesses, the de-tuning stubs, the low-loss coils and the tapering schedule for the elements were all wisely combined to create a lightweight but strong mechanical system. It is an elegant mechanical design.

In the six years that the OB2-40 has been in use at my QTH I have experimented with five other 40M beams. I have had 2, 3 and 4-element beams in the air and compared them to the OB2-40. For sure the OB2-40 makes compromises, and any prospective buyer should understand them. The OB2-40 may not have the most gain or the best f/b, and it may not be the most broadbanded. But from six years of use I can tell you that in my opinion, electrically and mechanically, this is the all-around best commercially-available 40M antenna out there.