Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi Help

Reviews Summary for OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi
OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi Reviews: 19 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1.200
Description: 2 element 40m Yagi, 49 foot long elements, highly efficient due to computer designed air coils, direct 50 Ohm feed point
More info: http://www.optibeam.de

You can write your own review of the OptiBeam OB2-40 high performance 2 element 40m Yagi.

VK6LCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Thanks to yourself and your engineering team Tom, fine craftsmanship and a ripper of an antenna, have a 3 element tribander 2m above the OB2-40 and no problems whatsoever with your decouplers installed.

Put it together in a pretty casual day alone (it was 44 deg celsius) so plenty of resting, total work time involved I would estimate at 6 hrs alone to put together and mount. The instruction manual is concise and precise so follow it closely when putting it together

I have it installed at 21m of height and am getting pileups into europe on 100w with 57 and 59 reports.

It really is like walking from the dark into daylight.

VK6LCT

PA2MRT Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2008 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Realy a dream  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have installed the OB2-40 on top of an OB11-5.
This antenna makes 40m dxing just a snap.
The big awesome 40m air coils shorten the elements down to a length of a bit below 15 meters, and they certainly do it really lossfree, this definitely can be believed by just watching their size and the way they are made.
The big square boom is more than just robust, the elements are just straight due to a well designed element support system and the entire mechanical design is a dream.
A need feature are the 40m decoupling stubs which avoid any interaction into frequencies above 7 MHZ. I can really tell that, my OB11-5 plays like being alone on the tower, no screwed up SWR or screwed up radiation patterns.
And regarding the performance on the air? Just wow, 40m is like being on 20m, working dx with big signals is a standard as well as it is normal to work the pile ups (and they are huge on 40m) totally easily with this antenna.
This is the 40m Yagi for the demanding OM, I only can highly recommend it.
73, Hans, PA2MRT.

HB9FAX Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2007 00:25 Send this review to a friend
tnx Thomas  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The OB2-40 was recomended to me by my friend Alex (hb9fbo), I was going for the single beam when he convinced me to get this one.That was a tip I never regreted taking.

The signal reports are between (loud and clear) and "booming" !
mounted on the tower, the Optibeam is a beauty antenna
I am very happy with the OB2-40.tnx Thomas

K2FW Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2006 12:07 Send this review to a friend
A Great peforming Yagi  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Iíve been a very happy user of an OB2-40 since July of this year. Iíll echo the responses of most of the other reviews on here.

First, the overall support of Tom, the owner of Optibeam, plus Jay & Bob of Array Solutions is outstanding! Any questions were promptly answered, even on weekends! Not once did I ever get the feeling that I was asking too many questions. Tom, Bob & Jay went out of their way to be helpful.

When I brought the antenna home & opened the cartons, everything was packed in a way that made assembly quite easy.

The performance of the 40Mtr yagi is without compromise. The SWR curves are slightly better then advertised. Iíve had no problem making any contacts that I can hear, & when compared to a fullsize inverted vee cut for 40Mtrs, it simply blows it away. Quite a few other Hams have now seen this antenna, & all of them are very impressed with the very rugged construction!

Also, I would like to add that this antenna is mounted about 10 feet above an Optibeam 16-5 five-band antenna with no interaction that I could see!

When you put it all together; great performance rivaling monoband yagis; great overall support; rugged, reliable long lasting construction without any moving parts, why would you ever want to look elsewhere? Iím glad I didnít!

Steve K2FW

ON4CCP Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2006 23:41 Send this review to a friend
no regret !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can I say : 108 countries and 1300 QSO's during the CQWW CW contest in less than 18hrs operating time.

My biggest fear before buying : I've a higher band yagi just about 1,5m above the Optibeam. Interaction seems unavoidable for me. However, due to the stub engineering of the Optibeam here is NO INTERACTION with higher frequencies. Well done !

This antenna does everything that has been declared by Optibeam :
- good performance
- not that visible for my neighbours (of course this is relative when talking about a yagi for 40m)
- no bending elements
- perfect construction, swr as promised
- good behaviour during heavy winds
- only 5,6m boom !!!

About the price, it's very simple : or you agree and you buy it, or you don't agree and you do not order this one.
There is no discussion that the best value for money is a simple wire antenna. If you want a
performant beam, then you'll pay it.

I've had good contacts with Tom. A nice and hardworking guy in a difficult business. Every mail was immediately answered.

Any regret : maybe that I didn't order the 2 extra elements for 30m, but I was allready at the maximum tolerated windsurface limit of my tower and rotor.

Any hints for improvement ? Maybe, some little:
the optional WX0B balun was wrongly pre-assembled. I (without high mechanicals skills)
lost 1 hour to found out the problem

At the ground, the antenna looks big... mounted on the tower, the Optibeam is a beauty !

Koen
OT1A/ON4CCP

9K2CQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2006 07:02 Send this review to a friend
one hell of a monobander !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The OB2-40 was recomended to me by my friend Hamad (9K2HN), I was going for the single beam when he convinced me to get this one.That was a tip I never regreted taking.

The quality characteristics are about the same as the OB11-5 (as I have mentioned earlier) the good material, packaging, the great performance, the excellant stability.

The signal reports are between "loud and clear" and "booming" !

And the price at whitch all these goods come in is spectacular, considering the great features.

Well done, Well accomplished, well, well, well.. !

Thank you , keep up the good work.

Mohamed

9K2CQ

NI1N Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2005 15:09 Send this review to a friend
5 (Great!) doesn't do it justice!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I initially called Jay at Array Solutions to buy a tower for the 4 element SteppIR yagi I ordered while at the Dayton hamfest. Our conversation drifted toward what I was using on the lower bands. At the time, I had a 40 meter 4 square with 480 4/10-wave radials and I thought it performed quite well. But, Jay suggested that I might try a 2 element yagi for 40 meters and that it would out-perform the 4 square. I had my doubts because that antenna worked quite well, but I decided to give it a try.

I considered a few makes and models of ďshorty fortyĒ beams. But, after doing my due diligence I figured:

1. OptiBeamís reputation for mechanical design and customer support must exist for a reason.
2. I had already seen first-hand the level of support that Jay gives his customers.
3. Murphy leaves me alone until contest weekends, and then he makes up for it all at once. If something is going to break, it will be at the start of a contest or when Iím about to join the pileup for a much-needed DX station. Given that this beam would be mounted on a mast at least 10 feet above the SteppIR and that accessing it for repairs would be difficult, I wanted nothing to do with a beam that I had any kind of doubts about. Even if another beam is half the price, if it isnít working itís worth nothing and youíre missing the DX.

So, I went with the OB2-40.

For starters, outside of coming to my house to finish the final assembly, there is nothing Tom and Diana at OptiBeam could have done to make the final assembly easier. The elements are telescoped together, everything is clearly marked, etc. All that is needed is to put the right bolts in the right places, and everything is marked so well you would have to try hard to get it wrong.

My previous experience with commercial antennas is that you receive a box of aluminum tubing, a bag of nuts, bolts, washers, hose clamps, etc., and its just you and the instruction manual. With the OptiBeam, it is plainly obvious that they have devoted time to making the assembly process as quick and easy as possible. For me, they have set a new standard by which I will compare others.

Structurally, the antenna is very sound. The elements show almost no drooping. While we donít get hurricane-force winds here, we do get winds that last for days on end at 40 to 50 mph. The OB2-40 has held up well. With strong winds the elements bend some in the horizontal plane, but Iíve followed OptiBeamís recommendation and kept the boom broadside to the wind during these extended periods of high wind and there is almost no movement at all. After having been up through some severly windy days/weeks, the antenna looks like it did the day I assembled it.

When it comes to testing the antenna... well, I am a software developer, not an electrical engineer. So, I donít have any sophisticated test equipment and probably wouldnít understand it if I did. My comparisons are based on real-world on-the-air experience.

The antenna is mounted at 92 feet (28m). I am in the southwestern part of Virginia, about 300 miles (480 km) inland from the Atlantic Ocean. My altitude is about 2500 feet (765m) above sea level.

Listening to stations in Europe, there wasn't a shocking difference in forward gain between the OB2-40 and the 4 square. For the most part, I'd say it was pretty equal. That may not sound like such a hot review, but keep in mind I'm comparing it to a 4 square that performed very well. Then came the CQ WW contest...

Wow! The OB2-40 performed inexplicably well!! It's unexplainable because I was constantly beating people through the pileups when I know they have much more than a 2-element "shorty forty" mounted at 90 feet. You know those enormous pileups that result when a rare double multiplier is put on the spotting network in the 2nd day of a contest? The big guns swoop in and its instant chaos. But, time and time again, I worked the station almost immediately, beating out some of what I know are much more elaborate stations. Perhaps chasing DX on a daily basis does wonders for pileup cracking skills in the contests. But, whatever the reason, the OB2-40 played with the best of them like it was nobody's business.

With its extensive radial system, the 4 square worked well for DXing but seemed to be lacking when the big boys showed up on the band for a contest. With the 4 square I ended every contest wishing I had something better. With the OB2-40, I ended the contest being completely satisfied with my 40 meter antenna. That has never happened to me before.

Outside of contests I chase DX for various awards. One award I've been after is 5BWAZ. The only zone I needed on 40 meters was 24, which is a difficult part of the world from the east coast of the USA. I had never even heard a zone 24 on 40 meters before. But, I discovered something about the OB2-40: when it comes to long path, it absolutely hands down kicks the pants off the 4 square! I was absolutely stunned... in the first week of using it, I worked 4 stations in zone 24 and 2 of them answered MY cq! And, they were LOUD! One zone 24 station was coming in on the long path S9+10db. He was giving "real" reports (not just 599 to everyone). He answered me on my first call with a 599, then I listened to hear he was giving most people 559 or 569 with an occasional 579.

A little further down the band was a station in zone 28 (Indonesia) booming in at S9+20db. He was so loud that I imagine any wet noodle antenna could hear him, so his pileup was quite large. He too was giving out real reports and the pileup was moving quickly... 55N, 56N. I worked him with one strategically placed call. His response to me: "NI1N 5NN plus big sig". I think it says something when someone takes the time to comment on your signal while they are working a pileup!

Another nice one was a comment a station in Europe made. After giving me a 599+40db report, he jokingly told me to point my antenna somewhere else because his XYL was complaining about the TVI that I was causing!

Come to think of it, I have not had to wait in a pileup since I started using this antenna. I am beyond satisfied with the OB2-40; I am simply astounded. I had high expectations and it has exceeded them by far.

OptiBeam and Array Solutions are not just making and selling antennas. They are setting the highest standards for antenna design, support, and service. If you are even remotely considering the possibility of a 40 meter beam -- get yourself an OB2-40; youíll be happy you did :-)

IK5SRF Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2005 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Welcome to 40  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have been DXing since 1994, mainly on 10-15-20 with monobanders and using a simple wire dipole on 40 mts cw. Couple of months ago decided to understand what 40mts really are so my choice was for an OB2-40.Mechanically the antenna is really well-done,(German technologie !), and the assembling has been easy and fast. Mounted it up abt 25 meters, 4 mts stacked from my hy-gain 205CA. Well.....what a difference from my old inverted vee dipole! Gained at least 5 S units from it, beaming to west coast long path and SA and now can manage easily the caotics EU pile-ups ! Ok guys...i'm not an expert so this review could be useless for most of you but.....OB2-40 said to me : "WELCOME ON 40 !".See you there.

IK5SRF - Paolo

AA6NP Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2004 23:39 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am writing this review to cover three Optibeam antennas, the OB16-3, OB9-2 and the OB2-40. As an avid DX-er, my first choice would have been multiple towers with stacked monobanders on each. But with ONE tower and six bands to cover, a compromise had to be found. To be honest, I don't feel too compromised at all! The performance on all bands has been quite SUPERB.

The three antennas are stacked about 10 feet apart on mast above the tower. There was some minor interaction between the WARC antenna and the tribander, but again this was very minor and less interaction than I expected. The 40 meter beam in particular is really a thing of beauty. VERY well constructed. It also seems well balanced in terms of gain and F/B vs. swr bandwidth.

Again, the on-air performance has been great. I was also very pleased with the elegantly simple design and engineering of these antennas. Top quality stainless hardware is used throughout. All the parts are clearly marked and fit together very well, making these antennas fun and quick to assemble.

Customer service from Tom at Optibeam and Jay at Array solutions was excellent. This included fielding MANY questions during the initial planning stages of this project.

I could not be more pleased with my choice of these antennas.