Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-10A Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-10A
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $77.00
Description: 10A conventional supply

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-10A.

KI7N Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2009 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Great for 25 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my RS-10A about 25 years ago. It's been totally trouble-free.

It's on more than it's been off during that time frame, and it's still running. It's powered every 2 meter rig I've owned, and it's also been used for powering HF rigs for medium power output.

Great supplies. I also have an RS-35M and an RS-12A.

N9DO Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2006 12:46 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my Astron RS-10A new around 1980. It has worked perfectly every day since. Never replaced the switch, never blown a fuse. My unit does have a panel fuse located on the back above the ac power cord. However when I hooked the PS to a 50 watt 2m rig, the heat sink began to get warmer than I liked, so I placed a small ac muffin fan on the back so air would blow on the heat sink. Now it's cool as a cucumber. I agree, purchase larger than you think you'll need.

KC0NPF Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2005 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
The only reason I'm replacing mine is that it's just not enough to run the HF rig. It did get slightly warm when transmitting 50w on 2m, but i don't mind fans at all, nice and cool now with a little muffin fan on the back.

If you're looking into power supplies, get bigger than you think you need, that way you don't have to worry about adding power supply when you add radio's.

I was told the power switch on (almost) all astron units sometimes likes to die, so i could just leave it on all the time or put it on a power strip and use that as a master switch.. whatever works

73 de KC0NPF

W0AV Rating: 2/5 Nov 10, 2003 10:59 Send this review to a friend
Doubtful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the supply new from a local distributor about a month ago and sold it to a user who returned it after a few days, complaining about a "loud hum," stating that it "had blown the fuse in the 13.8V line to his base radio.

Bench testing the supply, it appeared to be quite normal. I replaced it with a Maxon switching supply and the customer is happy.

Opening the unit to inspect the innards, I was surprised to find NO PRIMARY FUSE, in spite of the fact that the schematic (dated 1988) showed a 3A fuse and the nameplate/serial plate stated that it was fused at 3A.

The local distributor referred me to Astron, however my my e-mail to Astron remains unanswered.