Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-575H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-575H
ICOM IC-575H Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 6/10 meter all mode
More info: http://www.icomclassic.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-575H.

CT1DDW Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2009 07:23 Send this review to a friend
First impressions IC-575H  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I read carefully all reviews before purchasing/trading, they are a useful way to chose and i specialy recomend them to other Radioamateur friends. So in way to help the spirit of brotherhood in Hamradio i came with my own impressions of that TX:
- Good sensivity, medium selectivity without the opcional filters, even when got QSB and intermodulation of adjacent frequencys the Ic-575H performs nicely, no overmodulation noted even in extreme Sporadic E openings in Europe.
- Power output rather stable with good and active protection if more than 1.5:1 SWR, easy get to 100 Watt PEP without cooking in the rear/uper case. The small ventilator performs well even with some noise.
- Good coverage of 6 and 10 meters, with VHF low bands in the midle (nice to ear firefighters and some old mobile phones, hi).
- Regreatly the Icom had change the IF SHIFT filter for a almost useless control, and a IF SHIFT/PBT its needed when the Big Lady opens wide, the notch filter works fine with acute tuning noise process.
Final apreciation its a nice and still very valuable peace of equipment, not with DSP and funny stuf was the modern rigs, even so a good single/dual band transceiver.

NC0B Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2008 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Good on weak signals  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some of the reviews noted sensitivity problems, but neither on the air nor in the lab did this show up. My sample measured as follows on 50.125 MHz: SSB noise floor, preamp OFF:-130 dBm,
SSB noise floor, preamp ON:-135 dBm. Sensitivity, preamp OFF:0.22 uV, sensitivity, preamp ON:0.12 uV. AGC threshold, preamp OFF:3 uV, AGC threshold, preamp ON:1 uV. On 10 meters it was 2 dB better on all measurements. It obviously does not have the features of my Pro III, but then it is 1/3rd the cost.

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2008 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Great stand alone 6 meter rig.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used just about every 6 meter rig ever sold and I returned to the IC-575H. In fact, I phoned a friend who had an excess one and bought it. For the money it delivers a high grade performance. I drive a 1,500 watt amplifier with it and get great reports. The 100 watts it delivers are clean. The receiver has the selectivity and sensitivity to work DX as well or better than any other 6 meter rig produced. The IC-575H and the FT-920 are the two best six meter rigs that I have used over the last 25 years.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good 6m rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Side by side comparisons with my 746 on 6m clearly show better S/N figure and quietness on the 575H. The unit is equally good on 6 as my 275H is on 2m. The specific 6 meter circuitry limits some of the IMD problems seen on the multiband newer radios that cover HF plus 6 and 2 meters. With a decent CW filter added and using the PBT properly, one will do well on 6m. The 746 I used for years as my 6 meter rig does have a delayed band scope and does show where band activity is, BUT on a crowded band or in a metropolitan area like LA, NY or Miami, the 575H is much better than the 746. The medium 3/5 review of a few years ago on the 575H possibly represented a bad unit or one with a 'disease' of some sort. If you do not want to go a transverter route (stand alone 6 meter selective circuitry, etc), then go single band Icoms like the 275 and 575H.. No other good option at this time. Maybe with the improved F2 conditions and increased E skip coming up in the next 3-4 years some manufacturer will come up with a nice rig for 6m but bet it will be in the $1200 range and not $600-700 like the 575. The "H" model puts out an honest 90-100 watts under normal SWR conditions..

KU4QD Rating: 3/5 May 8, 2003 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice features but disappointing receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an Icom IC-575H in about mint condition from a friend here in the area. I added the FL-101 and FL-102 filters and I thought I was in heaven. The rig is loaded with features, pleasant to operate, and I thought I had a winner.

Then came the RARS (Raleigh, NC) hamfest where a guy about 25 miles to my north bought a nice Icom IC-502A portable. Until he got his 6m antenna up he used a 160m dipole to try and get on the band with his 3 watt radio. As you can imagine, he had a weak signal, and I had a hard time working him. Then I had the bright idea of trying my other, older, more limited 6m rigs. He was in the noise on the IC-575H, just out of the noise on my Mizuho MX-606D (old, analog rig), and crisp and clear on my mid '80s NCG 7/21/50.

I repeated this sort of test a number of times with weak signals. The Icom IC-575H, for all the hype, simply isn't sensitive enough to be called a first class 6m rig. When I was laid off I decided to sell the rig. I do not miss it.

Had I not done an A/B/C comparison I would have throught the IC-575H was the best thing out there. It's not, I am sorry to say.

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2002 18:27 Send this review to a friend
An excellent rig even in today's context  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I get this rig from the second hand market in Japan. Although it was manufactured in late 80's,its performance especially the receiver shows no worse than any top rigs in 6 metre. I draw a brief comparision with all QST reviews in HF+6 m rigs, its specification is almost the top especially the blocking dynamic range and 3rd order intercept. I live in urban areas with several 6 metre big guns around me. This rig enables me to survive among them and hear some weak DXs.

Clearly, its features are less than that of the modern rigs such as IC756 families (it does not have band scope). Also the audio from its internal 2.5 inch speaker is harsh (I eventually use a Clearspeech DSP speaker). It is a top rig for hams living in city areas who want to catch some weak DXs.

K1PWM Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2000 05:15 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a used 575H, and was instantly in love. This rig is so easy to use that within 5 minutes of powering it up I had several frequencies programed in, and was scanning the "Magic Band" and it's Big Brother the 10-meter band. (Then I decided to browse the owners manual just to see what I missed!) With 100 watts in your pocket, 6M QSO is fabulous on SSB, and those distant repeaters on FM can be found with ease. A built-in pre-amp brings in those faint stations a little better too. Tuning is precise, and the housed 2 inch speaker sounds pretty good. I recommend to anyone that can get their hands on one to take advantage of the opportunity.

WB4UNA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2000 14:57 Send this review to a friend
What a radio!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is possible the best 6 meter all mode that was built. It is a desk top radio . It is the same size as the 275h, 474h,375h,..It has all that you could ask for on 6 meters and you get 10 meters too boot. It will run 100 watts out all day long..no over heating..great recieve..audio is great...what else could you want..