Reviews Categories | Transverters | Elecraft XV50 Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft XV50
Elecraft XV50 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $349
Description: This state-of-the-art transverter features single-port and dual-port I.F. connections to allow use with almost any transceiver. The noise figure is typically 0.8 dB, and a rugged +17 dBm mixer is used at the RF input. Power output is 20-25 W, indicated on a 10-segment LED bargraph.

I.F. transmit levels from -20 dBm to +39 dBm (.01 mW to 8 W) can be accommodated. Multiple transverters can be daisy chained to a single IF transceiver, providing multi-band operation without cable rearrangement.

The XV50 is packaged in a sleek, stackable, 1.2" tall enclosure, and is styled to match the Elecraft K2. The K2 offers exceptional performance as an I.F. transceiver, and can automatically band-switch up to three transverters. A brightly-illuminated label on the transverter identifies which unit is selected. The K2 can display the actual operating frequency for each transverter band, with 10 Hz resolution, and includes a per-band programmable +/- 9.99 kHz offset to fine-tune the displayed frequency.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft XV50.

W0EWM Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 19:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the XV50 for about a year, but I have been using it everyday for the last 2 months. I run it with a TecTec Orion 565. It drives a modified AL-80B amplifier to 800W. I have an Elecraft K3 - with the Elecraft preamp - sitting next to the Orion/XV50. I can't tell that receive on one is better then the other (Sharing the same antenna). The noise figure on the XV50 is excellent and the crystal oven keeps the XV50 frequency perfectly constant. The XV50 interface flexability made it easy to interface effectively with the transverter output of the Orion.

N1DZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2008 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great transverter  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to built. Like a Heathkit! Excellent performance. I have used many transverters over >25 years of VHF and UHF DXing.
Using this transverter now for >2 years. Interfaced it to my SDR-1000 with a homebrew amplifier to bring the power up to 50 watts to drive my 1KW PA.

Only negative is it will run warm in continuous duty modes at full power. It is not a transverter I would use for FMing. Why would anyone use a transverter for FM anyway. SSB, WSJT and CW is fine.

Currently the best transverter on the market from a price/performance standpoint.

EA3ADV Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 04:17 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second Elecraft kit I build for someone else since I joined the "builders for hire" list. The experience, as with the other Elecraft kits, has been absolutely very positive. Besides the fact that one 56 Ohm resistor was missing when I did the inventory, the assembly and alignment were absolutely flawless thanks to the outstanding assembly and user's manuals . My congratulations once more to the Elecraft team for allowing the ham radio community to enjoy building and using such nice pieces of equipment. This XV-50 will be on the air feeding a 4 element quad. Listen carefully to EA3CXG, the new owner of this little gem. The next XV-50 I will build will be mine.

PA5MW Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2005 02:51 Send this review to a friend
Good product, but needs attention  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Nice combo with my K2. Very good reception. Static comparison with marconi generator and several other TRX proved this.
However there are two issues which you need to pay atention to:
1. With higher duty-cycle transmissions (contest and ragchew) the cooling of the RF PA gets very hot. There is clearly insufficient cooling.
2. The frequency is drifting. This is a result of the above.
I would suggest to install the appliccable crystal oven option as well. This might reduce the effect of the warming-up of the internal PA. How much I cannot tell, but others here are very positive.
'73 Mark PA5MW

K5WA Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2005 19:08 Send this review to a friend
This is a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, I can't believe it, but Elecraft has continued its perfect record with me. My new XV50 and transverter/60M interface worked perfectly the first time with NO problems. The reason that this amazes me is that I still have never done an inventory prior to starting an Elecraft kit and I always jump into the manual to start building because, to me, operating is the point, not building. I only build because I'm getting great specs at a savings...and I'm pretty cheap. I am careful and have gotten all the right soldering equipment to do my work, but I zoom through things pretty quickly. I finished the XV50 and interface over the weekend and completed alignment/testing last night. Everything worked perfectly and tuned up as predicted. I know I'm living on the edge, but Elecraft has got this art down to where even a non-techie type like me can build the product to spec in a short period of time.

CU on the air,
Bob K5WA
K2/100 #4687, KSB2, K160RX, K60XV,KNB2, KDSP2, XV50, (XV144 coming soon!)

K8QT Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2004 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Superb -  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one high performance piece of equipment. it is great!

It is part of my "K2 System" and now that I have it there is no way I would part with it. Rock solid and high end is the best way for me to explain it.

Buy this one and you will buy the others too! That is how good they are.

KB8U Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2004 17:39 Send this review to a friend
Great performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This kit goes together easily. The assembly instructions are the best in the industry, even a beginner could put this together. It integrates seamlessly with the K2 transceiver, as expected.

For netting the display and actual frequency, there is an adjustment to tweak the local oscillator on the transverter if you wish to hook up some other i.f. radio. The K2 has a configuration menu to accomplish the same task. There's an optional crystal oven available that I did not install. I suspect the unit will drift unacceptably without it when running WSJT or PSK31 digital modes and high power. I haven't noticed any problems with drift running SSB or CW so far so I may be off base here.

There was no problem getting 25 watts out of my transverter and sensitivity was on par with my Icom 746. When trying to copy weak signals adjacent to very strong ones, the K2/XV50 combo really shines. "DC-daylight" radios from Japan are all second rate by comparison. The built-in wattmeter was fairly accurate. It does not display reflected power so don't throw away your SWR meter.

One nice feature is the transverter detects if you are feeding 28MHz RF into the mixer when it's not in transmit mode and quickly disconnects the I.F. rig before any damage is done (and flashes the LEDs to alert the operator). This should never be possible with the K2, but could happen with other I.F. rigs if the transmit line were somehow disconnected.

The one thing I don't like about the K2/XV50 combo is that if you decide to call an SSB station on CW you have to adjust the VFO. This normally isn't a big deal, but if the band is crowded, there's QSB and the operator is fatigued then it's easy to lose them before you're tuned in. Maybe if enough of us VHF weak-signal operators complain, Elecraft will fix this. They are a very responsive company.

The other minus is that if you want to switch to HF, you need to disconnect the RF to the K2 or use an external antenna switch for the same purpose. I was disappointed the XV does NOT use the transverter out jacks on the back of the K2.

I modified the relay wiring in my XV50 to work around this (the IF in and out Jacks are now disconnected from each other when the XV is in use). This stock configuration can also be a problem if you happen to use a 28 MHz 1/4 wavelength long cable to connect the K2; the open circuit on the IF out jack gets transformed to a short circuit at the K2! Use a short jumper or terminate the IF out port with a dummy load to avoid this. This issue caused some head scratching when I daisy-chained my XV144 after the XV50, I wasn't getting much power out of the K2 when operating on 2m until I changed things.