Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Elecraft KRC2 Universal Band Decoder Help

Reviews Summary for Elecraft KRC2 Universal Band Decoder
Elecraft KRC2 Universal Band Decoder Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $159
Description: The KRC2 is a universal, programmable station control unit that can switch any combination of antennas, filters, amplifiers, or other equipment. It supports analog, digital, and RS232 control inputs, so it's compatible with transceivers from Icom (voltage level), Yaesu (BCD and voltage level), and Kenwood (serial or BCD via logging program), as well as Elecraft's own K2 and K2/100. Four pushbuttons on the top of the unit can be used for various station switching functions.

The KRC2 includes decoded outputs for all HF bands (including WARC bands), three transverter bands, and general accessories. High-side (source) and low-side (sink) relay drivers are included. All signal lines are RF bypassed to eliminate RFI and noise pickup.

Packaged in an attractive, compact enclosure that is only 1.2 x 3.5 x 5.5 inches (3 x 9 x 14 cm), the KRC2 is styled to match the K2. The easy-to-build kit uses Elecraft's "no-wires" construction and is suitable for first-time kit builders.
More info: http://www.elecraft.com

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KRC2 Universal Band Decoder.

WA2TTP Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 11:47 Send this review to a friend
Great support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the KRC2 to use with my TS-480 so it could band switch my Ameritron ALS-600 amp and my antennas that I used on my remote internet station. I carefully assembled the kit per the instuction and was happy to see it come alive and pass it's initial check out. The problem I had was it wouldn't talk to my Kenwood TS-480. I had installed a required jumper to enable the comm port on the 480 but still no go. After serveral emails back and forth with Gary he suggested I check to make sure the RP-2 resistor pack was installed correctly. Well guess what I had put it in backwards! The step in the instructions were clear on how the part should be installed but I failed to read the entire step, I fixed that mistake and the unit came to life with the 480.

The bottom line is that Elcraft support is tops and so is there product. Thanks Gary.

Steve,
WA2TTP

K8IA Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2007 04:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit but manual presently incomplete.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kit went together easily. Instructions and errata were clear, concise and correct. The level of skill required is nominal yet it wont put a veteran kit builder to sleep.

My KRC2 checked out fine per the manual but would not read band data from XYL's TS-870S. After about a half dozen emails with Gary, AB7MY, of Elecraft he mentioned an essential jumper instruction that was left out of the manual, and necessary for TS-870S and maybe other Kenwoods as well.

To Elecraft's credit, Gary stayed with my problem and wouldnt quit until my unit was performing satisfactorily. Unfortunately, I cannot give the KRC2 a "5" rating until the essential jumpering is mentioned in the manual.

EI6IZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2006 09:32 Send this review to a friend
fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am surprised on one else has reviewed this useful and versatile little accessory yet.

I use it with my K2/100 to manage automatic antenna switching when changing bands. It also provides me with an easy one button push to select my separate receiving antennas on 160m and 80m

My configuration is not all that complex and this unit has quiet a few features that I haven't had occasion to use yet but it completely automates my antenna switching between 6 different antennas and it does this job just fine.