Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Universal QSYer KeyPad Help

Reviews Summary for Universal QSYer KeyPad
Universal QSYer KeyPad Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $70
Description: A remote keypad for ICOM and Yaesu rigs to allow direct frequency entry and other mode changes - cable included

You can write your own review of the Universal QSYer KeyPad.

NE8SC Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2015 15:49 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I saw an older version of the QSYer on a swapboard and did a quick Google search to see if it was still in production. I was happy to see that it was but didn't work with a Yaesu FT-757GX which the older one I saw did. I went ahead and purchased one to use with my FT-100D and IC-703+. The kit was easy to assemble and works as described. Sure beats spinning the tuning knob.
K6CMG Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2015 19:10 Send this review to a friend
Works as it is supposed to.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this for a bargain price on ebay built and with the Yaesu Cable for my FT-817. It works like it should.
I use LDG tuner which needs the CAT RATE to be set at 38400. The QSYer needs the CAT RATE to be set at 9600 or 4800. Kind of a pain to switch back and forth. And when chasing DX or SOTA activators on different bands, a re-tune is needed for my antenna setup.

Upgrade the firmware to allow for 38400 and it can have a 5. I am wondering why no one else pointed this out?
W2WTF Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2012 20:54 Send this review to a friend
Kick A$$  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
5.0 all the way. Quick and easy kit to put together, I built it from start to finish in about 30 min, it works excellent and it's 1/2 the cost of the bhi keypad sold by w4rt.
AB2RC Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2010 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Easy Build  Time owned: more than 12 months
The URL is now

Easy to build, goes together in about 1 hour.

I mainly use it with my FT-100, but it also works with my IC-703 that I use for portable operations.

W5RST Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2007 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Keypad!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I echo the previous review. The QSYer is a very easy kit to assemble and works great with my Yaesu FT-817. It is small, lightweight, and can be easily included in a portable station (definitely smaller than carrying a laptop computer for frequency control). The first 9V battery lasted for over two years of constant use. And, after two years of use, the keypad is still mechanically like new.

It should be noted that the website for the QSYer has changed:

Highly recommended.
LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2003 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Great accessory for Ft-8/1/5/9/7 or ICOM rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
- i ordered this kit because i needed a direct freq entry keypad for my FT-817...

- little did i know that the QSYer will also work with nearly all Yaesu and ICOM rigs!

- i have the FT-817, FT-857 and FT-897... the QSYer works with all of them!

- i use the MH-59 remote mic with the 857 and 897, but there's only one solution for the 817, and that's this kit!

- ordering was fast and easy... shipping was even faster! i got my order almost overnight!

- everything you need is included, but you'll need to specify your rig when you order... the Yaesu cable i got will work with all my Yaesu rigs!

- this kit went together in an hour... you can order the pre-built kit, but construction was so easy, why bother?

- when finished, i have a great accessory for my FT-817... using the keypad, i can:

1. do direct frequency entry

2. toggle through each mode (FM,AM,LSB,CW, etc.) on a frequency

3. toggle repeater offset when on a VHF freq

4. toggle VFOs

- get this kit! you will NOT be disappointed!

- the result is a professional piece of gear for your 'go bag' and you won't destroy your FT-817's knobs by constantly twirling to get to a frequency...

- mobile FT-857 users will also benefit by having a easy-to-read direct freq entry keypad at hand... (you can use the MH-59 mic, but the QSYer is just as handy)...

- the QSYer requires a 9V battery, but it should last for a long, long time, as there is little current draw...

- another benefit is if you have a Yaesu and ICOM rig...

- lacking a direct freq entry keypad on your rig? don't like twirling knobs constantly? then this is the answer for you!

p.s. i'm an idiot and can barely handle a soldering iron, but this kit went together quickly and easily...