Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Kenwood MA-5 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood MA-5
Kenwood MA-5 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Mobile HF antenna for 80/40/20/15 or 10m

You can write your own review of the Kenwood MA-5.

VK4KX Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
One band at a time, but great performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine in 1982 and it's still going although I have lost one of the band tips and I've had to re do the heatshrink.
It was a great mobile performer for many years and worked well even on 80m and I recall an occasion when a blue corona appeared at the top of it while talking and driving. It gets less use these days but for high power mobile 400w or so it's good. Replaced it with an Autotune so I don't have to get out and change bands. If you see one at a hamfest buy it, it's a good antenna.

VK2CCJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2012 16:43 Send this review to a friend
Have Used this for many years mobile and now at home.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had great success with this both mobile ,portable and currently on a Tripod behind my Villa a mere 3 meters high , enjoying both SSB and more recently JT65 . Well made built to last , mine is well over 20 years old.

Yes it is basically mono band but great performance.

Cliff

VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2006 18:37 Send this review to a friend
Excelent Mobile Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of this antenna since 1997 and it's still doing good.By the way... if you enjoy DX QSO's at your car you should by this antenna. PriceXPerformance EXCELENT. You can run 500 watts on it and to hear the other side giving to you very good reports. I've been using this one on BPSK31,SSB and specially CW ..both of these modes the antenna works really good. There is only one bad thing... When it's raining the SWR goes crazy on 20 mts but just for a few minutes until it gets good again. I rated 5 because the antenna is very solid and strong on the bad weather conditions. I recommend this.
73 from Rick PY2EL/VA3PWC

PA9NL Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2004 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile antenne, much better than former Hustlers I use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I is a great antenne, works very wel on my car and on my mobilehome.
Use it on holidys all over Europe and at home for 80 meters.
Because my normal vertical home-antenne (GPA-30 Fritzel) only works from 40 to 10 meters.
VSWR is perfect on all bands.
Only you have to switch for every band, you must see it as a monoband-antenne.

Great antenne for me the best a ever use. PA9NL

ON4MGY Rating: 4/5 Nov 18, 2003 13:42 Send this review to a friend
I like it a lot  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used this antenne when I went to France for a holiday. While parked I used the antenna with a magnet mount on the car. The VSWR was not good on any band until I made a good ground connection. Then VSWR became OK and I could easily work all over Europe on 40 and 20 meters although I didn't spend all of the time on the radio. It was a holiday trip, not a DX-pedition. You can see the log here : http://users.skynet.be/on4mgy/logboek%20frankrijk%202003.htm

Unfortunately, I left the 15m and 10m radiator at home.
The antenna has a good performance but only receives a 4 because you can't use it on more than one band without changing the radiator. You should see it a monoband antenne. These day's nearly all mobile HF-antennes are a lot easier to switch to another band.
When it comes to performance, the MA-5 really is worth a 5++.
Thanks Kenwood for this great antenna. I'm sure I'll work some great DX with this antenna.