Reviews Categories | Antenna Switching, Phasing, Controllers | Diamond CX 310A 3 Position Coax switch Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond CX 310A 3 Position Coax switch
Diamond CX 310A 3 Position Coax switch Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $83.95
Description: Heavy Duty Wideband 3 position Coax Switch. Frequency: DC-800 MHz. Power: 1.5KW DC-30 MHz, 1 KW 30-150 MHz, 500w 150-800 MHz. Connector: SO-239.
More info: http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/index.html

You can write your own review of the Diamond CX 310A 3 Position Coax switch.

KH6DC Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2010 23:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this to use 2 rigs and analyzer with 1 antenna but then sold 1 radio. Still it's a great switch and well built, bomb proof. It's feels sturdier than the MFJ switch I got from a local ham which died and started shorting out the center conductor and shield. Will buy definitely buy another if the need arises.

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2007 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had been using a Diawa CN-201, and it was great, but I had put up another antenna and needed a 3 or 4 way coax switch. I have two inputs in my radio and 2 in my Tuner, but with two dipoles a Titan DX a 6 meter beam and a Cushcarft MA5B I needed to make room for one more antenna anyway.

I read reviews on the other switches and decided to just go with a product I knew. I've run over 1 Kw through the switch and have touched it just to see if it was getting hot, but it was room temp.

Also as someone else has said I have not seen any loss with this switch, even when running high power.

For the money it's a great buy and works great.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2007 07:25 Send this review to a friend
A great antenna switch  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Diamond CX-310A three position manual coaxial antenna switch. This switch comes with SO-239 connectors, can handle up to 1500 Watts on HF and works to 800 MHz. Other specifications are also good for this price, i.e. a low insertion loss, low VSWR and good isolation (60 dB or better up to 500 MHz). It cost me about USD 130 to import one to this country.

Having used this switch extensively now for over two months (experimenting a lot with antennas) I am pleased to report that it fulfills my requirements. To date I have mostly been using it on HF, but also on VHF with no problems there of SWR (which can be a problem with other brands). Switching it, there is an audible click and it is just a little bit stiff. But I like that; because you are in no doubt that you are in a new position. Also, I like to point out that the SO-239ís are well separated and mounted at different angles. This is important, because it means that there is good working space when you want to connect or disconnect your antenna plugs.

The switch is rather heavy (almost 600g) which is useful, because I keep it loose on the desk in the shack (although it comes with two predrilled holes for mounting). Using it like that, it is remarkably stable, thanks to wide rubber strips that are on its back and keep it stationary (and also from damaging the deskís surface). As has been pointed out by another reviewer, there are only 4 mating positions on the SO-239 for the two small positioning tabs on the PL-259. I agree, that you need to take care when you are mating the PL-259ís. However, in my case this is something that does not bother me; once I was aware of this design it was not a problem.

For those hams working mostly above 200 MHz it might be advisable to purchase this unit with N connectors (about 35% more expensive here in Europe), since PL-259 connectors start to show losses above 200 MHz whereas the N connectors are of more quality and rated to 11 GHz.

In closing I might add that I like the overall design of the CX-310A; it is compact and has a feeling of quality about it. Nevertheless, I must admit that I wondered at first (when I opened the box) whether I would ever come to terms with the unusual light green color of the switching knob. Well, that has changed and today I would not have it any other way. I can highly recommend this antenna switch to all hams.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2005 04:14 Send this review to a friend
Transparent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Nicely designed, feels good to turn it, no noticable losses.
It just does the job it's supposed to do.
Highly recommend.

AD5TH Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2005 16:10 Send this review to a friend
Quality is Evident  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After wasting $$$ on MFJ coax switches this Diamond CX-310 is a treat and causes no bump in SWR at VHF frequencies as did the MFJ switches. Also the tactile response is superb and one can easily tell betwqeen the 2 brands which one belongs in the shack and which one goes in the drawer. I give it 5 stars for it's electrical qualities plus it's rugged design.

K9FTB Rating: 4/5 Nov 22, 2003 19:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had two of the these guys for about two years and have used them on HF and VHF / UHF, but never near the max power rating. One thing to be aware of - on PL-259's there are two small positioning tabs that mate with an SO-239, so the barrell of the PL259 doesn't rotate as you tighten the sleeve on the PL259. On this coax switch (same on CX210A) there are only 4 mating positions on the SO-239. This means that the PL259 has to be rotated at one of four 90 degree mating positions. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but I had already clamped my coax to the table etc. and it was terrible trying to rotate the coax to mate with the switches SO239s. Finally, I managed to stress the SO-239 inside the switch so much, that the center pin contact broke loose. The fix was easy. Each SO-239 is held to the frame of the switch by a set screw (allen). So I alligned the SO-239 the way I needed it to mate with the PL259, soldered the center pin again (sliver contacts inside). All was okay.

For this review, I guess I was disappointed that the slight stress I put on the switch caused the pin solder connection to break loose, hence my four rating.

Both this unit and the CX210 (which you can get in SO-239 or Type N) are amateur quality, but I wouldn't say commercial quality.

After the repair, all three switches (CX310s and CX210) are working fine - but again I've never had high power on any of them and I've never had high SWR on any of them. Don't konw what would happen if I did - I'm not willing to find out.

Given my experience, I'd buy either model again (the CX210 or the CX310).

73's, and good luck, Dean, K9FTB, Fairport, NY