Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-605TQ Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-605TQ
Alinco DR-605TQ Reviews: 61 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $339.99
Description: 2 Meter/440 FM Mobile/Base Radio
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-605TQ.

DAVEW5LP Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2015 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great rig still running  Time owned: months
I was told back in 2000 that this would be a bad purchase. After all this time, rigs have come and gone, but this one is still here running great. It's a bit dated by today's standards but it never failed and a regular use rig in the shack.

W3DBB Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
hanging in there  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased a new DR-605TQ 10 1/2 years ago. For the first 6 years it was installed in my car. Since then it is used in the house. They can get a bit warm in the heat sink but no failures thus far.

The only service was to replace the UV-shredded mic cord with a cord from an unused but defective EMS-54 (original type) microphone. As service jobs go it wasn't too bad.

Over time the detents in the rotary encoder used for tuning and memory channel selection have loosened to the extent that control could be described as being a bit touchy at times. I won't attempt a repair until it gets so bad the frequency is jumping around all over the place. IIRC the encoder has an Alinco p/n as shown in the service book (which Alinco graciously provides on their website, unlike Icom and Yaesu). Of course, Alinco p/n or no, quite a bit of time has elapsed and that particular part could be unobtainium or it could be readily available without having to go through Alinco.

Alinco seemed to align the transmitter section of these rigs for less than advertised power output but with transmit audio at maximum deviation, probably to prevent warranty claims from failed final transistors. Rather than messing with the factory alignment, I hold the mic about 1/2 foot away and speak into the side of the microphone.

The DR-605TQ came with the heretofore optional (as on the DR-605T) tone squelch board installed but I rarely use the feature. The little rig is readily put into the crossband repeater mode but other can verifying it works I have never used that particular feature.

All in all I think these are a fairly nice dual-bander. The 2 meter receiver is only average at fighting intermod but 2m is a tough RF environment. I don't care for having the inline SO-239 RF output connector on the end of a flying lead. At least it didn't shred like the microphone cord. A couple more bucks and some additional engineering would have provided a proper SO-239 soldly mounted to the body of the DR-605TQ. It isn't too much to ask for things to be engineered and built properly. Like the microphone cord, a poor place to engage in the practice of thrifting.

Wish Alinco still sold something like the DR-605TQ but for substantially less than the $340 I paid for mine 10-11 years ago. This would help ward off the influx of Chinese-branded mobile rigs that are probably not as good.

The Japanese Big Three + Alinco have an interesting balancing act of continuing to try to innovate while keeping manufacturing costs down by farming out subassemblies and in many cases complete rigs to be manufactured in China.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Solid Older Dual-Bander  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I picked this one up on Ebay for $200 and it looks & operates great. Included original manual, EMS-54 Mic & mounting bracket. The MARS/CAP mod went easily with only a slight amt of pucker factor.I am a member of Hawaii Army MARS, so this is an authorized MOD for my use.

Tx audio and deviation were way too hot,as with most Alinco's I have owned, but once set correctly, sounds great.

Only drawback is it does not remote mount, but not an issue in my case. Good solid xcvr for the money!

KB8GRO Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2012 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this radio from a ham friend in a trade, condition is about a 9.75, with box and bracket. This radio has been great, I will have to turn down the audio in the mic, it is too loud! Receive in this radio is very good, the antenna I am using is a Diamond x50A dual band antenna above the roof line of the house. I like the way it operates and the looks of the radio. It does get hot on high power so I use a high speed cooling fan on the back of the radio, even on high power it hardly gets "hand warm". This radio is a keeper, most of the time I use the 5 watt setting, but it works very well in simplex mode, I have been able to make contact on simplex between 35 to 40 miles in South West portion of Ohio and do very well with it.

73's
Dan

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a review of my DR-605T I bought new in (I think) 1995. It is in its fourth vehicle. I may retire it to the shack. The rig has never given me any trouble whatever. At one time I was into using the cross-band repeat function and it worked very well. I also like to chase trains and this radio has been great for scanning the local railroad freqs. The receiver sounds fine through the internal speaker, even in the cab of a pickup. I still have the manual, although the radio is easy to use. This has been an exceptionally good radio for me, and I hope it continues to be so. I almost never run the transmitter on high power, by the way. On high power the heat sink gets quite hot (duh!). If I need to replace this one, I'm sure I'll grumble about the cost! This one, though, has been well worth the dinero.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2012 19:36 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Just picked up a used final for the 2 meter side for $30 & the rig now operates 100%.It is VERY easy too program even without the manual.NO menus but it now has a SMALL place in my shack among all of those ICOM rigs & signs for my 2 meter & 440 FM usage which is pretty small.Don't see why the labor is so HIGH & would NEVER pay $93 an hour to repair it even if I were RICH.LOL I will give it an HONEST & FAIR chance too keep it's place in my shack & hope it stays operational or it will be GONE & FAST.

KG4LOV Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2011 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Good but too complicated for ne  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sold this and purchased a Kenwood 271. The 605 was okay, but was too complicated for me. Others may like it, rx was good but tx reports left a lot to be desired

KC7OAW Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
A Sturdy Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been rough on mine since I bought it used years ago and it still performs excelent so it has earned this review. I have had Yeasus and Icoms but have not been nearly as impressed with as this Alinco. It has out lived several cars and is currently being used in the shack.

The cord on this radio is still in great condition but I do have a DR-M03 that I bought with a mic cord problem. I see a mic cord as a very easy fix!

I live in an area where I had an intermod problem with some radios I have owned but not on the DR-605. I am very happy with the RX as well as the TX. I love the tone quality of the DR-605 and have never even considered an external speaker for it. My DR-605 has always transmitted a good clean claer signal for me.

What more can you ask of a radio? Good software interface. This where the Alinco falls short. You can clone it easy enough but have yet to find software for programing it from the computor.

I still am looking to buy anouther one eventhough I love software interface simply becouse the performance of this workhorse of a radio out ways missing one fansy extra feature. I know its going to work when I turn it on and would not be surprised if I still have it in service anouther decade from now!

W2HP Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 4 605's. My oldest is 12 years old and one of the first. Never a problem. But the mike cords are. I purchased a new 605TQ and found the mike cable peeling from the end. I fixed than and the rest of the cord was also deterorating. I purchased from an Alinco Distributor 4 cable only with plugs attached. I did the swap myself. Two of my 605's are in my mobiles. One is a base and another is a carry with radio when I go traveling. The 605 on 2 meters has the best intermod rejection of any radio I have ever used excepting the Kenwood TR-7950 with the helical resonators and its Ham Band only radio! The 605 goes nearly anywhere frequency wise. Too bad they discontinued this model. The 620 was terrible! and my first 635 wasnt that good either. Peter

VR2YWW Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2009 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Not bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got a used 605T with the following problem. When scanning the VHF channels, it stop on call channel and everything dead except the display. I needed to turn it off and then on again. It normal when scanning the UHF channels. It lock the machine everytime I tried to scan the VHF channels!! I did reset many times but it just don't work. Did anybody got a similar problem and any input are all wellcome. Thanks a lot 73.