Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-605TQ Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-605TQ
Alinco DR-605TQ Reviews: 60 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $339.99
Description: 2 Meter/440 FM Mobile/Base Radio
More info: http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-605TQ.

KA5KBM Rating: 4/5 May 2, 2009 21:59 Send this review to a friend
mic cord problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have owned the 605TQ for 7 years, i won the radio at a local hamfest, so it was very affordable! all things considered, this is an excellent radio, with one glaring exception. the mic cable is not uv resistant, the cable in my radio has been breaking down for about 2 years.i have had to tape up the cord in about 3 different places...the radio still works fine, but i am concerned about the deteriorated mic cable..i'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem?..is the cable replaceable by itself? or will i have to replace both the mic and cable? this could be an expensive propisition! any comment alinco? de ka5kbm.

W0RMS Rating: 4/5 Feb 6, 2008 21:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band For Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got 605TQ used so dont know how it was used befor I got it...Had to replace finals after 6 months. I enjoy being able to listen to both bands at same time but think it is not as easy to program as other rigs...just MY opinion. Also had it lose all programing a few times when turning the power off...still have not figured that out. Over all I still like the radio even if I dont use near all the features.

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2007 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Just a trouble-free radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this DR-605E now for three years, used as a base-station and sometimes mobile too.
In my opinion, especially when using a rig mobile, you should use the brain for driving and not thinking about using / programming the radio. And here is the big advantage of the DR-605.
When using this rig the first time, I tried all functions once with the manual. And then, I was able to use this transceiver without reading the manual any more. Great! I also had the Yaesu FT-7800E for 2 years. This rig had all bells and whistles, but it was a pain, especially during driving, e.g. to program a new repeater.

So the advantages of the Alinco DR-605 are:
Rugged
Really easy to use
Good readably audio in RX and TX.

The only one disadvantage I could find:
There are only two steps of power output. Because there is no fan mounted, the DR-605 gots relatively hot, when using the high-power for a longer time. Anyway, I do not know any failures because of heat. But a third power-step in the middle would be great. But itīs not difficult to mount a little fan from the pc-industry, probably with a 100 Ohm resistor for slower and quiter running. Then the DR-605 gets just hand-warm, wven when using the high power.

So I sold the newer Yaesu FT-7800 because I want a radio for talking and not playing with - and thinking about menues, and so the DR-605 was my choice.

PA5COR Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2006 07:35 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have it in the van for the last 5 years, reduced the modulation because it was too wide.
Put up output power to 70 watts on 2 and 50 on 70 cm's and added an temperature controled fan to the heatsink, running like that since new.

Didn't mis an beat, just an pity the UHF doesnt tune on the wideband recieve missing the tuned frontend the VHF part does have.

For the money i paid new, it is good value, the connection of the powersupply should be made with as short as possible cable directly to the battery, the rig uses an lot of Amps on high power setting.

Traveled with me all through Europe in hot and cold weather.

Cor

OZ9ELS Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2006 14:29 Send this review to a friend
A small 5/5 ....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
First of all: I Like the 605! (got it used)
After James' (KB7TBT) audio-mod, it sounds GREAT, and after a small 3x3cm vent on the heat-sink it does not get warm at all...
Only thing I havent been able to fix is the clicking sound while memory-scanning (Scanning is also a little slow)
I miss a alpha-numeric display, like on my Yaesu VX7r.. But thats probarbly because i'm a newbie ...

KE4HEN Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2005 07:05 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
had this radio as primarily base for 3 years now. The radio had a bad on/off switch when I bought it. I just turn the ps off and on to activate crossband. The main complaint on this rig is heat, especially during crossband. I solved this issue by mounting a 4" computer fan on the top of the fins. I haven't had a warm radio since.
I highly recommend this unit for anyone, especially if you want the crossband function.

KF4PN Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2005 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Great radio with solid performance, easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use the '605 in my office shack, and it stays on nearly 24/7. Crossband repeat works exceptionally well, allowing me to roam the campus w/ my HT on 100 mw and still hit my club's 2m repeater 25 miles away. It has all the necessary features for basic operation: Dual receive, simple push buttons & knobs, tone encode, tone squelch, offset, 51 memories per band, NOAA wx, 5w/50w(35w) L/H (70cm) etc.
Hand mic is rugged, has extra long cord, (which is nice in the office) and I have received excellent audio reports from this rig.
Crossband repeat & high power operations gets this rig very warm, but the extra large heat sink has proven effective so far.
Drawbacks: only V/U receive, no V/V or U/U.
no midrange pwr setting, no mic control of functions.
I highly recommend this radio if you want a simple, no frills, reliable, dual receive rig.

KJ7YL Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
605TQ good product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Alinco 605TQ radios both of which have never failed in the three years I have owned them. The radio recievers do not have intermod problems because the reciever frequency range does not go up to 800mhz. They stop around 420 or so.My Alincos work well here in Seattle in a high RF area have very little or no intermod at all.

The radios are solid easy to use, ans sound well on the air. You really get your moneys worth with this unit. Plus the cross band repeat instructions are very easy and are included in the instruction manual, which means you do not have to ask for them. I have never had any transmitter problems with the two units I have. Plus you can download the service manuals off of the Alinco website for free. Who else does that?

Also RT Systems makes great cloning software for this unit. The total software and cloning cable package is about 50 dollars.

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 10:48 Send this review to a friend
3 years and no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
Use it mainly for packet and ISS work with a Diamond vertical antenna. No heat issues apparent since unit is not mounted where circulation may be a problem.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 08:27 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have two. One at home and one in SUV.
Have had both over 7 years. Both have worked fine.
Only gripe is that some times while mobile I will
be monitoring my repeaters. One on 2 meters and the other on 70 cm. I will tx on the wrong band because the indicator (MAIN) is the same size and color as all of the other indicators and I will not see that I'am in the wrong band.
Very good intermod reject.