Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | RF Power Components MaxiTuner Help

Reviews Summary for RF Power Components MaxiTuner
RF Power Components  MaxiTuner Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $289.00
Description: The MaxiTuner was manufactured by RF Power Components of Ladysmith, WI in the '70s and '80s. The design was based on an improved "Ultimate Transmatch" design. It provided continuous coverage from 1.7 to 30MHz and was rated at 3kW PEP. Quality components were used throughout including: a Multronics 229-203 28uH rotary inductor, two 6kV Peak-to- Peak 500pF variable capacitors, heavy-duty balun, cast aluminum turns counter for the rotary inductor, 6:1 ratio vernier drives with 0-100 logging scales on both variable capacitors, and a "Monimatch" SWR metering system. The MaxiTuner was built into a LMB CO-1 Collins-style cabinet, matching the Collins S-Line in design and color. The MaxiTuner accepted both coax and balanced-line transmission lines.

You can write your own review of the RF Power Components MaxiTuner.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this tuner new, when they first came out. Mine did not have the meter on it.
I also have the Johnson Matchbox, 2 MFJs, one automatic, and can say that the RF Maxi, no longer manufactured, is at the top of the list. It will tune anything, and does not even seem to care about the length. I have used it on 160 with a 40 meter dipole and it worked fine. Not the strongest signal, of course, but quite usable.
W7VO Rating: 5/5 Aug 23, 2010 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Great value, Minimal features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought one of these from a fellow ham, and have not been disappointed. I was looking for something that would handle the legal limit from an AL-1500 amp, and something that was not marked "MFJ". The Palstar stuff is great, but real pricey for the larger units. My cost for the RF Components tuner was less than 1/4 of what a new PalStar 4K costs. Yes, the 4Ks have built in metering and antenna switches, but I already have those anyway.....

What it really needs is a bypass switch, so I modified my new find to include a pair of 12V DPST vacuum relays (graciously donated by the prior owner).This will be much more robust than a wafer switch, and easy to install inside the rear panel.

You can't beat the 6:1 gear reduction on the caps, and the turns counter on the roller inductor is mil-spec quality.

I rate it a 5 for what it is; a well built, no frills, high power "tuner".
WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2008 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this unit for more than 15 years. Once the kids broke the inside, main unit insulator but was easily able to pickup replacement at next hamfest. Otherwise, the unit works great, solid construction, takes a lot of punishment. Excellent price when new, excellent bargain now.
N4VHG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2007 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Well made Legal Limit Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one used 15 years ago and it is a keeper. Design is from the ARRL handbook. Uses a Millen turnscounter, dials with reduction drives and scaled skirts. Componants are large and well made.
I use mine with a 160 mtr windom fed with 450 ohm ladder line. Handles 1.5kW without a hitch.
As with all roller inductors tuning is best done with lowpower to avoid damaging the coils plating. Looks good next to my s-line.
Only complaint is it doen't incorporate any switching (in-out, etc.) Plus side is it does 160 and all WARC bands.
So, I have 3 tuners; one per wire antenna. (the other 2 are Millen kW transmatches which don't do 160mtrs but are also ultra-reliable)
Previously, I owned a Murch 2000 and it was similar but of lesser quality.
W9CW Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2003 18:57 Send this review to a friend
Reliable and Wide Matching Range  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the RF Power Components MaxiTuner in 1978 to use with my Collins S-Line. The MaxiTuner was a perfect match and addition to the station. Initially, it was used with a Collins 30L1 linear amp into coax fed antennas. I never experienced any arcing on either the rotary inductor or either variable capacitor. However, I also never tried to "load the transmatch" by attempting to load extremely low or high impedance loads. Later, I upgraded to a Drake L-4B linear amp, and again never experienced any arcing or loading problems using a 80m center-fed doublet with 450 ohm transmission line. The MaxiTuner uses extremely high-quality components. The vernier drives on the variable capacitors are wonderfully smooth and resetable. In over 25 years of service, this transmatch has never let me down. It still is in service on a daily basis. An excellent transmatch for either coax or balanced-line, although it does use a 4:1 Voltage Balun on the output. A better choice today would be to use a remote 4:1 Current Balun. Nevertheless, a great product.