Reviews Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-495 MEMORY KEYER Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-495 MEMORY KEYER
MFJ-495 MEMORY KEYER Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: A full-featured memory keyer with LCD display to set fuctions and show sending message. It keys CW from a paddle, a keyboard and a serial computer interface. It has 32 message memories, over 8000 characters.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-495

You can write your own review of the MFJ-495 MEMORY KEYER.

N4LQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2004 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had many keyers over the last 40 years but this one is the best yet. I say this for 2 reasons. First, the timing suits my taste. I am making less errors and the rhythm is perfect. I tried using a Logikey K3 for several years and I always felt like I was dragging the characters behind me. This thing seems to be pulling me along, egar for the next paddle entry. (Real technical eh?) I use mode B. The Curtis chip had been my favorite until this came along.
Second: Someone finally made a keyer with a sinewave sidetone. It's beautiful to listen to eventhough I usually use the sidetone in my rig. The menu is fairly easy to negotiate and there are gobs of options such as the computer interface which allows you to monitor your keyboard entry etc.
There are a couple of areas I was disapointed in. One was the display. There is no backlight. In order to read it, you need to have the keyer almost parallel with your eyes and some room light. Also, I had this preconcieved idea that I could monitor my key entry as I typed. Not so. What you see on the display are the characters that are being sent, not what you are entering. You cannot type way ahead and easily backspace to make corrections like you do on a computer. I'm still working with this but at 50+ WPM I doubt if I will ever be able to stay just a few characters ahead of the display and backspace to make corrections before they are transmitted.
The keyer has both weight and key compensation like the K3. Using the memories is easy. Just select one and enter your text via the keyboard or paddle. Hit a function key on the board or a function key on the keyer to transmit the memory contents.
The keyer comes with a power cable and plug for the keyer's 12vdc input. You install the plug of your choice on the other end. So far, I have experienced no RFI problems like I have with other MFJ products in the past. Others I have talked to confirm that this one is RFI free. Let's hope so!

K1RTJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2003 01:40 Send this review to a friend
This Keyer does it all!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first keyer and I've paired it with a Kent TP-1. Memory and set-up menus are very easy to navigate. The LCD shows you exactly what you are doing. Using an (AT)keyboard makes it real simple to load messages and adjust the 22 set-up menus. Everything has functioned as advertised. It does everything except read in-coming code. I have not been a big fan of MFJ products in the past, but this one appears to be well constructed, and is a pleasure to use.

Fred (K1RTJ)